PDA

View Full Version : Rant on "While Supply Lasts" - Misleading Advertising

Joe Pack
11-29-2003, 12:23 AM
Forget my post below on the Delta 14.4 drill...I'm not going to bother.

The drill is advertised nationally as Rockler's Sunday 7a.m - 11a.m. Thanksgiving weekend special @ $49. Not especially caring to get out of bed any morning, especially Sunday, I called to figure out just how early I had to get there to reasonably expect to get one. The fellow on the phone was very nice, even apologetic, when he told me they only had eight drills to sell! That, ladies and gentlemen, is, in my humble opinion, absurd.

There is exactly ONE Rockler outlet in the Cleveland, OH area, and, including suburbs and outlying areas, it serves a population of over half a million people. To offer an item as the "promo" or "loss-leader" to get people through the door, without telling people that there is no chance in Hades that the item will be there when they arrive because the number for sale is a ridiculously small number is, in my opinion, essentially a "bait and switch" tactic.

The add does not say "only 8 available at this price,"which, while still a very small number, would be honest advertising. Instead, the add is intended to bring people to the store to purchase an item that Rockler knows darn well is not going to be there after the first 10 minutes of the day. That is just plain misleading, if not actually dishonest. If you don't have a reasonable number of items to sell, then don't advertise them as if you did.

I don't blame the people at the local affiliate. They are nice, helpful, friendly people who go out of their way to please customers. I do, however, blame the corporate entity responsible for operating procedures that regularly leave store personnel in the position of regularly having to explain why an advertised item is not available 10 minutes after the store opens. (Related topic...this is a regular occurance at our local affiliate...sorry, they only shipped us 12, but we can backorder it for you...sorry you drove 45 miles to buy it, and will have to do it again if a week...or two...or three...or whenever it gets here...)

This weekend's Staple's ads listed "...6 to sell..." Big Lots ads listed "...12 per store..." We Cheat 'Em used car ads listed "...only 1 at this price..." Small quantities, yes. Annoying, yes. Honest, YES! If you only have 8 to sell, SAY SO!! I will understand that. I may not show up, but I will understand. But I won't understand, and won't do anything but steam and feel cheated and taken for granted, being lured 45 miles to a store, only to find out that there was never any intent to have enough product in stock to satisfy a reasonable demand. And eight items for a population of half a million people is certainly not reasonable.

I understand limiting the number available; loss-leader advertising logically must have some limit, but to have only 8 items available in a market of over 500,000 people is so misleading as to make me rethink where I spend my money. If I had not thought to call to check on supply, I would have been up early and driven one hour, only to find that I had been "had." Yes, I would love to have this drill, particularly at $49, but the same drill is available from Amazon.com. Factoring in sales tax/shipping, I can have the exact same thing delivered to my door for about $28 more...and I am willing to spend $28 not to have to get up at 5 a.m., use $10 to drive one hour through a cold, slushy rain, then stand in line outside a door waiting to be one of the first in the door. Plus, by staying home, I will save another $150 or so that I was planning to spend on two larger Sorby turning tools, a center-finding rule, sandpaper and the set of diamond hones.

Gee...I won't be spending any money this weekend. Maybe that's not so bad after all. I feel better now.

Bart Leetch
11-29-2003, 12:56 AM
I agree with you Joe. Why don't you send this message to Rockler's corporate headquarters? Always go straight to the top.

Phil Phelps
11-29-2003, 7:27 AM
" Not especially caring to get out of bed any morning, especially Sunday, I called to figure out just how early I had to get there to reasonably expect to get one."

This is your quote. I agree with your post, but I would have been more sympathetic if you had been "stupid" enough to drive there first. This is something I pounded in my childrens heads along with "look both ways before crossing". Man, the time, energy, and heartache saved with a simple phone call. Smart goin'. Oh, and when you call, get their name :D Then you have someone to blame when they lead you astray.

Steve Rybicki
11-29-2003, 8:53 AM
I agree. Think about how much they spent advertising the sale of these eight items, and you can really get a measure for the degree of dishonest intentions involved.

Kirk (KC) Constable
11-29-2003, 9:39 AM
... but I would have been more sympathetic if you had been "stupid" enough to drive there first...That must be why folks feel sorry for me when I tell a story. It pretty much always has something in it about me doing sumpin' stoopid. :D

KC

Mike Evertsen
11-29-2003, 9:39 AM
I guess I've conditioned over the years,,when an adverdised price is only good for a few hi=ours and the ad limited quanitys I know if I want it I better be that store when they open the doors,,,I was at our rockler store at 8:30am ( it's an hour drive)to buy the dove tail jig at 49.00 they had about 25 on the shelf,,,what I didn't understand is why the had the sale from 7-11 am and the demo from 11 am- 2pm I didn't what to wait from the demo so now I'm trying to figure it out on my own,,,,the drills I think they had at 10- 15

Bob Oswin
11-29-2003, 9:55 AM
Forget my post below on the Delta 14.4 drill...I'm not going to bother.

The drill is advertised nationally as Rockler's Sunday 7a.m - 11a.m. Thanksgiving weekend special @ $49. .

Gee...I won't be spending any money this weekend. Maybe that's not so bad after all. I feel better now.

One of the trade offs we have made as a society when we chose cheaper over better is that we also accepted corporate greed and deceptive advertising.
It's almost the defacto standard today.
Don't forget that you can vote with your wallet.
If a store deliberately cheats me I automatically search out an alternate store for my purchases regardless of the prices. That store becomes the store of last resort.
I will shop there only if I can't get something elsewhere.

I wish more folks would do this.

Bob

Dave Hammelef
11-29-2003, 10:28 AM
..,,,what I didn't understand is why the had the sale from 7-11 am and the demo from 11 am- 2pm I didn't what to wait from the demo so now I'm trying to figure it out on my own,,,,the drills I think they had at 10- 15

They want buts in the store. So the jig on sale gets them in the morning them demo gets them to come back and pick up what they didn't get the first time. You dont think the demo was actually to teach you something did you for that you got to pay for a class.

Joe Pack
11-29-2003, 11:13 AM
I agree with you Joe. Why don't you send this message to Rockler's corporate headquarters? Always go straight to the top.

I did exactly that last night. Stewing here just makes me feel better. Stewing there may accomplish something.

Charles McKinley
11-29-2003, 9:33 PM
If it is the drill I'm thinking of it is only worth about $50. Drills that only come with one battery end up costing about the same as a good kit or you only use it for limited time then recharge. The battery will always be low when you really need it.

The other thing is what batteries will fit it?

I know that the B&D anniversary drill and I think a Skill that HD had last Christmas were one time holiday purchases. Good luck when some thing went wrong.

Just my two cents.

Good thinking on the phone call

Rob Russell
12-08-2003, 5:44 PM
In Connecticut, there are very specific laws called the "Raincheck Laws" about such advertising. If a store advertises an item as being available at a set price, they must honor that price. If they run out, they must either issue a Raincheck or substitute an equivalent or better item for the same price.

The only way around this is if the advertisement includes an "actual quantity" of items available, for example "minimum 8 per store" or "only 8 available". That way you know whether or not it's worth your time to try to buy the item. "Limited quantities", "Store stock only" or similar disclaimers specifically do not exempt the store from the Raincheck Law. If on the other hand, it's advertised as a "Clearance" or "Discontinued Product", they don't need to do rainchecks.

I had a case this past Thanksgiving week where this happened to me. Office Max had 64 meg USB "thumb drives" - those little memory cards with a USB adapter - for $10 with a $10 rebate for Friday and Saturday after Turkey Day. They ran out at 7:30 Friday AM. They had signs at the store that said "No rainchecks", the ad said "Store stock only", etc. Not so sez I. This is fine in many other states, but in CT - there are very specific laws ... I got a substitute (Kingston) USB "Data Traveler" with a $10 rebate, that they sold to me for $10. I would have been perfectly happy if they'd found a way to sell me the original item at the advertised price and order it in time for me to submit the rebate, but they chose the substitution instead.

There are also laws about rebates, but that's another story.

Here's a link to CT's Dept of Consumer Protection "Consumer Fact" website. Click on the Raincheck link.

http://www.state.ct.us/dcp/factsheet.htm

Rob