PDA

View Full Version : Desk a la Andy Rooney

Neville Stewart
02-03-2007, 7:16 PM
My wife always admires the slab of wood that Andy Rooney sits at, well I fould a nice slab of our local cedar ( Austin, Texas) and had the sawyer bookmatch it. Its about 3" thick and I'm wondering what the best way to joint it is. Its a bit too heavy to run it over the jointer, so I'm thinking I might clamp it together and hand joint to split the difference, what dya think? thanks for looking ~ Neville
PS - any tips on finishing are welcome!!

Mark Singer
02-03-2007, 7:21 PM
Nice slab...now just pronounce nuclear correctly.:rolleyes:

Rob Bodenschatz
02-03-2007, 7:37 PM
Cool bear slab.

Neville Stewart
02-03-2007, 7:42 PM
Kinda does look like Yogi doesn't it!

Per Swenson
02-03-2007, 7:50 PM
Thats some nice lookin stuff.

I know how I would joint it.

Perfect excuse if you ask me.

http://www.woodshopdemos.com/fes-53.htm

Per

Terry Fogarty
02-03-2007, 8:08 PM
Thats some nice lookin stuff.

I know how I would joint it.

Perfect excuse if you ask me.

http://www.woodshopdemos.com/fes-53.htm

Per

Per, after reading this some time back (fantastic web site:D ) i also have jointed boards like this and in my opinion gives the most superior way of perfectly seamless joins. Well worth the third cut:)

Bruce Page
02-03-2007, 9:34 PM
Nice slab...now just pronounce nuclear correctly.:rolleyes:
That cracked me up last Sunday!

Jim Becker
02-03-2007, 9:42 PM
Very nice slabs! I don't do TV, so I didn't hear the reference, but I can only imagine what Roony came up with...

I'm assuming you're referring to edge jointing them. My first choice would be to clamp them to a slider and run them through...but a guided rail system with multiple passes of a router bit can do it for you safely and completely. You do need to use a long cutter and should only take about 1/2" of depth for each pass. At 3", it's a bit thick to use a guided saw...

Per Swenson
02-03-2007, 9:50 PM
Hey Jim,

Maybe about 3"

TS 75 cut depth= 2 15/16"

But yeah, big old straight cutter would work also.

Speakin of sliders..... You all hooked up?

P.

Neville,

I am sorry, I am mercenary.

You see I would make that baby and sell it

making sure the tool of choice was incorporated in the sale price.

I apologize for suggesting a expensive method
for a piece you will keep for yourself.

Per

Jim Becker
02-03-2007, 9:54 PM
Per, only 2 3/4" with the rail...I looked it up before I responded being the anal perison I kinda tend to be.

Yup...all hooked up. Just have some little minor adjustments and "learning" do do and I'm good to go. I'll be posting pics of the day as soon as I can slog through preparing them...there are a lot since almost everyone was picking up the camera and taking turns documenting things.