PDA

View Full Version : A few new toys...

Frank Snyder
02-03-2007, 5:50 PM
Having had my dad's Dewalt 708 SCMS for the past 5 years on indefinite loan, I decided it was time to return it to him and buy my own. I put in a new power cord and bought a new blade for it before giving it back to him. I'm sure he figured he'd never see it again. I also had his Delta Sidekick miter saw stand, so I had to get some kind of stand to hold a new saw.

Since we won't be seeing the Festool Kapex anytime soon, I went with the Bosch 5412L SCMS. The Makita was also a consideration, but I really liked Bosch's up-front bevel controls, easy-to-read gauges and overall ergonomics. To make it a real saw, I also picked up a Chopmaster for it. After a few test cuts, I was very impressed with how clean and accurate this saw and blade performed. No adjustments needed to be made...it was dead-on out of the box.

For a stand, I was torn between the Ridgid MSUV and the Stablemate. Since I'm just one person, loading and unloading a stand like the MSUV with a 70lbs. saw attached is no easy feat. You really need a helper monkey for that task. At least with the Stablemate, I can load and unload the saw and stand seperately by myself without too much trouble. And for $100, it is a steal. Rock steady and made here in Illinois.

I was also intrigued by the clamping mechanism on the Stablemate and it gave me with an idea on how I could easily transfer the saw from the stand to my future built-in SCMS station. I could install a 2x6 cleat with a complimentary bevel cut along the countertop and Stablemate's clamp will secure the saw to this cleat very easily. So when I need to take my SCMS out on the road with me, a few turns of the cranks and off she comes. No bolts, nuts and washers to worry about, nor any proprietary T-slot clamping mechanisms. I'll post pictures of how this works once I've got my workshop cabinets built.

I also broke down and ordered the Festool Vac-U-Boom Attachment from Uncle Bob. Snagging my vacuum hose on my guide rail and other objects was getting old. This accessory is really a wonderful thing and I had procrastinated getting one long enough. It makes sanding and cutting much more enjoyable.

Gary Keedwell
02-03-2007, 6:00 PM
Frank,

Nice pictures...have my eyes on the Bosch myself. Did you place the blade so we could read it or a coincidence?:rolleyes:
Gary K.

Frank Snyder
02-03-2007, 6:04 PM
Of course I placed the blade so you could read it ;). Actually, that was just where the blade stopped after my last test cut. Very convenient, though.

It really is a nice saw. It seemed a little too "plasticy" compared with the older DW708, but it's a bit smoother, quieter and very little head play (they all have play). I'm not sure if I can adapt to the laser...I'm so used to bringing the tooth of the blade to my cut line. Fortunately, I can pop it off if it bugs me.

John Lucas
02-03-2007, 6:22 PM
I love that boom arm. Best Festool tool in the bunch, except for all the others.

Gary Herrmann
02-03-2007, 9:23 PM
Frank, I've had that same saw and blade combo for about a year. I put mine on a Rigid MSUV or whatever they're called. Some minor tweaking, but dead on for straight, miters and compound cuts. Good choice.

Jim Becker
02-03-2007, 9:44 PM
I can see where the boom would be more enjoyable over time than putting the hose and cord over my shoulder as I generally do when sanding panels... ;)

jonathan snyder
02-03-2007, 9:51 PM
Nice score Frank. I'm sure Dad is glad to have his saw back. Maybe you should have kept his and bought him the new Bosch!!!! I have a number of Bosch tools, I like them.

Jonathan

Bill Simmeth
02-03-2007, 10:41 PM
Looks like you had fun in the shop today! I really like your subtle blade gloat, too.

Mac Cambra
02-04-2007, 9:33 AM
I have the Bosch slider as well, almost the same setup, except I went for the MSUV. The Bosch was supposed to be an upgrade to a Porter Cable 12" CMS. Maybe I am doing something wrong but I find that the blade tends to get pinched and the saw kicks back especially when cutting thick stock.

Maybe that is a possibility with all SCMS models, although it is really un-nerving when it happens.

Be careful, part of me regrets the upgrade and selling my PC CMS it was a great saw.

Frank Snyder
02-04-2007, 9:50 AM
Mac - It sounds like your fence might not be in plane if you're getting kickback or if the blade is getting pinched. Have you put a straight edge up against it to check?

Another possible cause would be if the stock you're cutting isn't properly supported or the back side edge or bottom side face of the stock isn't straight or flat. You might also want to check the condition of the blade as well. I would get kickback on my dad's Dewalt DW708 under the latter two conditions...the blade would simply get pinched. Especially with thicker stock since you're altering the grain tension and the kerf will sometimes want to close up before you complete the cut. Proper cutting techniques can help you avoid the un-nerving kickback these saws can produce.

It's also worth the time to check the alignment of the saw. They are adjustable and can be tuned.

I wouldn't regret upgrading to this saw just yet ;).

Tyler Howell
02-04-2007, 10:40 AM
Nice haul Frank . I have both MSVU and the Stablemate. Really like them both. I've just used the the Stable mate clamp on saw horses for some remote work.

I'm going to try to hold out for the Festool Kapex :o I don't need a 12" SCMS just yet but really want one and that looks like the ticket.
Congrats major Festool guy

Frank Snyder
02-04-2007, 11:01 AM
Tyler - Thanks. The Stablemate clamp is so simple and versatile in that it can be clamped to just about anything. A great design (and cost) IMO.

The MSUV is also a great design, but just too hard for me to unload out of a car by myself with the saw attached.

I really like the additional cutting capacity of the 12" sliders...I like not having to cut 4x4's and 2x12's in more than one pass.

Not having my own workspace up until this year really led me to embrace the Festool working methodology of taking the tool to the work, and I've built up a little collection because of this. Their tools are just so well designed and built...it's hard to stop adding more to my collection.

I look forward to reading your Kapex gloat in the not too distant future :cool:.

"Michael Hinkel"
02-04-2007, 11:56 AM
Nice set up. I have the Bosch 4410 mounted to the same stand.
I ordered the shelf brackets, glad I did.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/evsac/12th%20floor%20inside/Bosch4410.jpg