PDA

View Full Version : First turning

Ron Crusee
02-03-2007, 5:15 PM
I was in need of a mortising mallet so decided to try my hand at turning one. This is the first time using a lathe other than metal shop 20 years ago. Bought the lathe for $50.00, 12" atlas metal lathe with lots of accessories including wood turning.

The mallet's made from some oak I had laying around. Has numerous wormholes/paths in it, but it's a mallet. Weighs 18oz. Very fun. Definitely see myself doing more..

Thanks for looking.

Bernie Weishapl
02-03-2007, 5:28 PM
Hey Ron looks mighty fine to me for your first one. Form and finish look great. Nice job.

Jonathon Spafford
02-03-2007, 5:31 PM
That is beautiful... looks like a mean mallet!!! You are way ahead of where I was when I first started! Make sure we get pictures of any future turnings! We love pictures :D

Steve Schlumpf
02-03-2007, 5:50 PM
Very nice work Ron - specially for your first turning! Have to warn you about turning - it messes with your head - waaayyyy to much fun!

Look forward to seeing more of your posts!

Be safe, have fun and post often!

Ken Fitzgerald
02-03-2007, 6:24 PM
Very nice practical mallet! Nicely done! Yup....turning......often referred to as "Spin Crack"!

John M. Cioffi
02-03-2007, 6:51 PM
Great looking mallot,Ron. You certainly haven't lost your touch,even after all those years! Did you fill the head with anythig to make it heavier? I have a piece of ash thats drying to make mine with.
Thanks for sharing.
John

Neal Addy
02-03-2007, 8:14 PM
Good lookin' work. Nice.

Jim Ketron
02-03-2007, 8:21 PM
Nice Job!
Now don't let that fall into the wrong hands!
Ouch!

John Miliunas
02-03-2007, 9:19 PM
'Nuther one bites the dust! :D Great job on the mallet, Ron! Looks to me like you're off to the races on the spinny thing! :) :cool:

Tom Sherman
02-03-2007, 9:26 PM
Nice job on that mallet Ron looks good and will be functional too.

Curt Fuller
02-03-2007, 9:47 PM
The first thing you should know Ron is that even though you may want to use that as a mallet, the actual terminology for the first turning is "Bonker". And a mighty fine Bonker it is!

Welcome!

Barry Stratton
02-04-2007, 12:08 AM
Beautiful job, and a bonker for your first turning!!!!! You are soooooo going to fit in here!

Paul Geer
02-04-2007, 8:12 AM
Looks like your on your way to turning Ron! :)

Ron Crusee
02-04-2007, 9:09 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone. Already started another project last night but didn't get far due to being tired from the day. I'm sticking with spindle projects for awhile to get proficient with the basics. I don't have a faceplate yet either. :)

John I did not fill the head with anything. I may in the future if 18oz is not enough but for now it seems just about right.

Bonker, funny...I didn't know that.

Ron

Ron Chamberlin
02-04-2007, 10:18 AM
Nice bonker, Ron. My first one was much cruder than that! Welcome to the addiction.

Keith Burns
02-05-2007, 8:10 AM
Great Bonker Ron !! Just don't let your wife get ahold of it as she will use it to beat you about the head when the credit card statment comes in showing you just spent $1,000 on new turning tools!:eek:

George Tokarev
02-05-2007, 8:57 AM
Word of caution. Ring-porous woods like the red oak there, and the elm here will separate along the annual rings with use. The basket-splint effect. Try to hammer on the quarter grain for longer life. Or go to something diffuse-porous like maple.

Real benefit in making your own is that you can vary the lengths, slopes, and handles to suit the work and diminish hand fatigue.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=51831&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1165323811

Christopher K. Hartley
02-05-2007, 1:54 PM
Ron, Love that Oak!!! Great job!!:)

Bob Noles
02-05-2007, 6:35 PM
Ron,

Now if you really want to have some fun with this crowd.... tell them how you turned it using nothing but the skew chisel :eek: :D :D :cool:

Nice job!

Dennis Peacock
02-05-2007, 8:28 PM
Ron,

Now if you really want to have some fun with this crowd.... tell them how you turned it using nothing but the skew chisel :eek: :D :D :cool:

Nice job!

Oh THANKS Bob.....now you went and done it!!! :p :rolleyes: :D

Beautifule Bonker Ron....and welcome to the addiction. :D

Ron Crusee
02-06-2007, 6:11 PM
Ron,

Nice job!
Your close all I had was a parting tool so I just used that. :)

Actually I used a 1/2" and 1/4" (I think) roughing gouge to get the shape, then various old metal files, 100 grit sandpaper, then 800 grit wet dry paper and finally honing compound on a rag... I made the handle grooves with a parting tool and small modeling files.

Finished with lemon oil..

Ron Crusee
02-10-2007, 9:22 AM
Here's #2, a small carving mallet. 13.5oz. Was not trying to duplicate the first one with the exception of the grooved handle so the shaping is different..

Ron