PDA

View Full Version : This Bud's for you....

John Miliunas
11-28-2003, 10:27 PM
“…Oh Mister HVAC duct pipe installer. You get the plans in hand, you look over the building and you promptly throw them away. Oh yes, Mr. HVAC duct pipe installer, you don’t need no stinkin’ plans! You’ve laid miles of these shiny, round, finger-cutting tubes of emptiness and you already know what goes where. You sight up your main line, pull out the tape measure and five minutes later, you’ve got that puppy laid out! You pop a few holes in the joints and handle that pop-rivetter like an old cowboy with his six-shooter. Turns, laterals and even those changes in ceiling elevations are no match for you, Mr. HVAC duct pipe installer! And at the end of the day, you pull up a leftover 5 gal. bucket, have a seat next to that beloved furnace and listen to the sweet sound of that warm air circulating through YOUR system. Yes, Mr. HVAC duct pipe installer, I salute you and this Bud’s for you! “ :D

Yeah, I know, I know. You guys figure, “John’s had a few too many Bud’s himself!” :rolleyes: Nope, that ain’t it. What it is, though, I’ve gained a new respect for Mr. HVAC duct pipe installer. I started doing the duct work on my DC system using mainly sheetmetal ducts, laterals, wye’s and such. Let’s just say that drywalling, plumbing and roof work are now joined by yet another “skilled” trade, which I do NOT have nor one that I’m any good at!

So far, I think it’s going to work OK in the end, but I could just about kiss the person who invented those adjustable 90’s! (Which reminds me, I need to go to Menard’s in the morning and get some more!) I know that you want to keep the main runs as straight as you possibly can, which may not be a problem if I didn’t have to come off it with runs to the machines themselves! (Does “almost straight” count?) To say the least, it’s quite the experience. So far, I’ve got three machines hooked up and tested. Actually, it works pretty good! :D I even managed to swap out the 4” port on my jointer with a 6” unit and plumbed it directly to the 6” ducts, with no flex hose! (Couldn’t anyway, ‘cuz I still don’t have any of the bigger hose…) . Tomorrow (after the Menard’s trip), it’s on to the table saw/blade guard and maybe rough-in for the future router table. Wish me luck…I *need* it! :cool:

Paul Kunkel
11-28-2003, 10:59 PM
“Let’s just say that drywalling, plumbing and roof work are now joined by yet another “skilled” trade, which I do NOT have nor one that I’m any good at! Wish me luck…I *need* it! :cool:
John, It's good to have respect for the "skilled trades", isn't it?
:D Think of all the 'knowledge' you can chalk it up to. New trade? Metal makes your skin tough, all scar tissue. DAMHIKT !! :(

Don Abele
11-28-2003, 11:27 PM
OMG John, that's funny :) :) :) I love those commericals. I did a little duct work in the past when I ran heating into my basement (which was unfinished when I bought the house). Yeah, I agree with you - duct work is right up there with dry wall mudding and roofing. But it was an experience and one that hopefully will help when I can eventually stop moving and plumb a hard DC system. Best of luck with it and be sure to keep us up to date with pics.

Be well,

Doc

John Miliunas
11-28-2003, 11:29 PM
John, It's good to have respect for the "skilled trades", isn't it? :D (

No truer words have been spoken, Paul! I've always had a great respect for most ALL of the skilled trades. These folks always make it look so darn easy and, for them, it probably is. But I know that's only after many, many years of hard work, training and learning their selected trade. I know a little about a lot of them, but that's also the same reason I won't do some of them! Scared of heights, so roofing is out. I love the water, but the necessary expertise required for more intricate plumbing eludes me. I know how to hang drywall and do the mudding, but that one I plain old don't care for! I even used to lay carpeting for a living and, to this day, still own my own stretcher and assorted tools, but definitely NOT my favorite task! I'll muddle through the ductwork for the DC system, but I sure do hope I never have to do it "for real", like on the house or something like that! :cool:

Phil Phelps
11-29-2003, 7:15 AM
...at a muffler shop, there is a guy who "eyeballs" and fits tail pipes. Think about it. From the end of the muffler, over the axel, out and through. That's more compound bends than a pretzel :p Ain't no adjustable "L's" on this job.

Jim Becker
11-29-2003, 10:50 AM
Wait 'til you change the design two times in the future and have to re-do portions of what you put up yesterday! "Fun, fun, fun 'til the metal took my skin away..."

Seriously...I also agree that doing jobs like this instills great respect for the folks that do it day-in, day-out for their livings. And for that reason, I'm glad I'm not a mason!! :D