PDA

View Full Version : Well it wasn't made in Italy and it doesn't way 1600 lbs - But

jonathan snyder
02-03-2007, 5:08 PM
I'm pretty happy, and its a definite upgrade for me.

Here is a picture of the old one:

And a picture of the new one:

Its a model 37-196, several years old, but never used! Unfortunately there is a sad story behind the purchase. The fellow bought it new along with a bunch of other tools with the intent to start woodworking. Unfortunately he was diagnosed with cancer, soon after the purchase, and has never used the tools. The cutter-head still has cosmoline on it.

The fellow was asking $250.00, I gladly gave it to him. It sure is an improvement over my old craftsman with the non-adjustable out-feed table and 36" bed. The only issue I could find is a slight cup in the fence. I read that other folks have experienced the same issue with this model. Perhaps I'll haul it into the local Delta service center and see what they can do.

I just downloaded a manual, need to check it over, and make sure everything is adjusted correctly, then I'll fire it up and test it out.

Sorry Jim, I could not resist the title, hope you are enjoying your saw. I have shop envy, as your new saw would not even fit into my small shop!

Have a good one
Jonathan

edited for typos

Mike Cutler
02-03-2007, 5:19 PM
That's a nice rugged, dependable jointer Jonathan. A tried and true design.
Not a lot of bells and whistles, they simply work.

Nice gloat.

Doug Shepard
02-03-2007, 5:24 PM
Stick a picture of Sophia Loren over the Delta label, and bunch of gold bars inside the base, and nobody will know the difference.
Nice score.

Ron Brese
02-03-2007, 5:41 PM
I had that same craftsman jointer for a number of years, a friend of mine bought it from me and he's still using it.

Ron

Gary Keedwell
02-03-2007, 5:47 PM
I'm pretty happy, and its a definite upgrade for me.

Here is a picture of the old one:

And a picture of the new one:

Its a model 37-196, several years old, but never used! Unfortunately there is a sad story behind the purchase. The fellow bought it new along with a bunch of other tools with the intent to start woodworking. Unfortunately he was diagnosed with cancer, soon after the purchase, and has never used the tools. The cutter-head still has cosmoline on it.

The fellow was asking $250.00, I gladly gave it to him. It sure is an improvement over my old craftsman with the non-adjustable out-feed table and 36" bed. The only issue I could find is a slight cup in the fence. I read that other folks have experienced the same issue with this model. Perhaps I'll haul it into the local Delta service center and see what they can do.

I just downloaded a manual, need to check it over, and make sure everything is adjusted correctly, then I'll fire it up and test it out.

Sorry Jim, I could not resist the title, hope you are enjoying your saw I have shop envy, as your new saw. would not even fit into my small shop!

Have a good one
Jonathan
Jonathan,
I have that jointer and can confirm the inferior fence. Have to experiment to get perfect 90º
I had trouble with outfeed table sagging , but fixed it once I got myself a decent straight edge. All in all, not a bad jointer but someday I'll upgrade to an 8" with the carbide inserts.
Good luck with yours,
Gary K.

Dave Sweeney
02-03-2007, 5:54 PM
Stick a picture of Sophia Loren over the Delta label,,...
Doug, I sure hope your not referring to one of her current photos. There's no doubt that she sure was a knock out............40 years ago!:D

Doug Shepard
02-03-2007, 5:57 PM
Doug, I sure hope your not referring to one of her current photos. There's no doubt that she sure was a knock out............40 years ago!:D

I haven't seen her since our brief fling 20 years ago. She was still pretty hot then but I'm sure she's aged a bit, but then again so have I.:D

Frank Snyder
02-03-2007, 6:00 PM
Hey Jonathan...nice to know there's another Snyder out there.

My dad has the same Delta 6" jointer and his also had a bow in the fence. He took the fence to a Delta dealer and they replaced under warranty. Other than that, it's a capable jointer. Enjoy!

Don Bullock
02-03-2007, 7:02 PM
I'd say that you have definately upgraded. Congratulations!

Jim Becker
02-03-2007, 9:20 PM
A fine upgrade!! Congrats on your new jointer. I know you'll enjoy it...the extra mass and induction motor will be a pleasure.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-03-2007, 9:21 PM
Congrats Jonathon! I have the twin to you Craftsman. Can't wait to replace it with some serious iron!

jonathan snyder
02-03-2007, 9:56 PM
Congrats Jonathon! I have the twin to you Craftsman. Can't wait to replace it with some serious iron!

Ken,

Would you like another twin!!! You might want to pick it up though, the shipping cost would kill you!! :D

It works great. Adjustable outfeed table equals snipe free jointing. I never could get the blades on that craftsman adjusted properly to the height of the outfeed table.

Jonathan