PDA

View Full Version : Question about Ebay purchase

Brian Hale
02-03-2007, 2:29 PM
((This is a double post.... I originally posted it in the classified section by mistake...... DOH!))

I'm considering buying from a vendor that has a 100% positive feedback with 3,552 votes. The item i'm considering they're selling (Buy It Now) for $599.00 plus $30 shipping but I've found the same item elsewhere for $799 plus shipping.

Question..... Can a seller really have that great a price and still have 100% positive feedback? This will be my first Ebay purchase and with all the bad things i've heard, i'm a little nervous about laying out that kind of money.

Thanks!!
Brian :)

BTW, the item is New In Box and there's only 3 left.

Mike Henderson
02-03-2007, 2:36 PM
Normally, if a person has that much feedback and has good feedback everything is okay. It is possible that someone highjacked the account but you'd think that a seller with that much feedback would have noticed. Pay with PayPal and if it goes south, you'll have some protection.

But it's a lot of money to risk. I'd hesitate also.

Mike

[added note] whatever you decide, post the auction number so others can look at it also. That is, if you buy, post the number. And if you decide not to buy, still post the number.

Brian Hale
02-03-2007, 2:41 PM
Thanks Mike.

They've had the "3 Available" on there since 9pm yesterday so i guess there's no harm in posting....

Mike Henderson
02-03-2007, 2:46 PM
If I wanted it, I'd be willing to take the chance - but it's not my money.

Good luck.

Mike

Jim Dailey
02-03-2007, 3:04 PM
Brain,

Personally I wouldn't be afraid. They have a great record.

It does look like a sweet set up.

I didn't spend much time on the eBay offering... but I'd try to find a # or do a google to see if they have a website & find a phone #. I'll bet they do... sometimes you can save a few more $$$ if you can go direct. I'd buffer the purchase with a credit card just in case.

jim

Mike Weaver
02-03-2007, 3:13 PM
If I wanted it, I'd be willing to take the chance - but it's not my money.

Good luck.

Mike

Brian,
I went and read a few of the feedbacks, and seems legit to me. I agree with Mike: If I wanted it, I'd take the chance.

-Mike

Brian Hale
02-03-2007, 3:13 PM
They've been Ebaying since '03 and some of their stuff is big ticket items like the Jet 40" metal lathe for $5k.

I guess i could wait till they're all gone and then kick myself for a few weeks. :rolleyes:

The wife will be back in a couple hours... ;)

Kev Coleman
02-03-2007, 3:55 PM
Keep in mind the drawers, and casters are not included. MAke sure you are comparing apples to apples. If thats the same as the 799 you are comparing, I myself would not hesitate. IF you pay with PayPal and a credit card you are protected.

Roy McQuay
02-03-2007, 4:05 PM
Hi Brian, I have bought over a hundred items on Ebay and have not been ripped off yet. The only related problem I ever had was in buying form an ebay dealer, outside of ebay. I bought an HTC overhead TS blade guard. I repeatedly specified I didn't want it if there was no manual and instructions. I was repeatedly assured all was included and even that my purchase would be inspected prior to shipping to make sure. Well, the guard is on the floor in my garage where it has been since I opened it. I have gotten some help from HTC but it really isn't their problem. And, I saved $100 on it.

Brian Hale
02-03-2007, 4:07 PM
OK, i bought it and the ebay site now says 2 available. Looks like everything is on the up and up so once i receive it i'll say something nice in my feedback.

Thanks for your input!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think i I feel a gloat coming on! :D

Brian Hale
02-03-2007, 4:22 PM
Hi Brian, I have bought over a hundred items on Ebay and have not been ripped off yet. The only related problem I ever had was in buying form an ebay dealer, outside of ebay. I bought an HTC overhead TS blade guard. I repeatedly specified I didn't want it if there was no manual and instructions. I was repeatedly assured all was included and even that my purchase would be inspected prior to shipping to make sure. Well, the guard is on the floor in my garage where it has been since I opened it. I have gotten some help from HTC but it really isn't their problem. And, I saved $100 on it.

Roy, HTC has product manuals on their website.

http://www.htcproductsinc.com/manuals.html

Mike Weaver
02-03-2007, 4:46 PM
OK, i bought it and the ebay site now says 2 available. Looks like everything is on the up and up so once i receive it i'll say something nice in my feedback.

Thanks for your input!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think i I feel a gloat coming on! :D

Awesome! It's great to spend other folk's money! :eek:

Remember though, no pic, no gloat. :D

-Mike

Brian Hale
02-03-2007, 5:04 PM
Does this count???

Mmmmm Cast arn routa table top!;)

Mike Cutler
02-03-2007, 5:09 PM
Brian.

You're okay bro. These guys have an actual brick and mortar store and an online catalog website, in addition to selling on ebay.

Here is their website.

http://www.toolzone.com/

Now see what ya' did. I looked at all of their ebay stuff,and they have a Bench Dog cast iron router table extension wing.:eek: ;)

scott spencer
02-03-2007, 5:16 PM
3500 positive transactions @ 100% can't be easy, so I'd guess they're ok. I've had very very few issues with EB...it's just people, and most people are decent. Good luck!

Roy McQuay
02-03-2007, 5:21 PM
Roy, HTC has product manuals on their website.

http://www.htcproductsinc.com/manuals.html

Brian :)Thanks, I have downloaded the manual there, but the manual was for use, not installation. I can figure out how to do it but am undecided on how to attach to extension table. A part was missing that you attach first. I just haven't done it yet. I should because it would make the saw safer.

Faron Dunn
02-03-2007, 7:14 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new to the creek, but seems like a good place to hang out.
Brian, thanks for the link on the 40-087. I was thinking about purchasing one of these, and the best price I had found was around 700.00 plus shipping. I think this is a great deal so after I seen that you had made your purchase, I bought one for myself.

Thanks,

Faron :D

Brian Hale
02-03-2007, 7:20 PM
The Race Is On!!!

Ok folks, step up and place your bets!

Don't crowd the ticket booth!!

Who gets the dog home first???

Welcome to the creek Faron. Since we're both on the "right" coast we should be getting them about the same time. I'm betting it'll be here Thursday afternoon.

Most importantly, Thank You for waiting till i ordered mine. Mighty nice of you!

Faron Dunn
02-03-2007, 7:29 PM
Ok, there is only 1 left.
Lets see who takes it home.

<<Most importantly, Thank You for waiting till i ordered mine. Mighty nice of you!>>

I'm just glad you didn't buy all of them!!

Faron

Brad Knabel
02-03-2007, 7:31 PM
I bought a refurbished Dewalt scroll saw from this company's brick and mortar store about 5 years ago when I lived in Denver. It was an easy transaction and everything worked well on the saw so I wasn't really able to test their customer service. But the store was clean and well-stocked if a little crowded. The salesperson was helpful. If I recall the saw was right around $300.00 with the stand at the time so I know they've had good deals in the past. This price wouldn't scare me off.

That looks like a nice router table. I hope it works out for you.

John Bailey
02-03-2007, 8:21 PM
I know some folks have had trouble with E-bay. I've spent thousands. I completely rebuilt a 30' sailboat, bought about a dozen trumpets, a guitar and built 6 stereo systems without a problem. I also bought a jointer, radial arm saw, Parks Planer and, most recently, a Delta bandsaw. The only thing I've felt burned on was the Parks Planer. It was not as advertised, but I'm happy to have it at the price I paid. I'm a satisfied E-bayer.

John

Brian Hale
02-05-2007, 5:45 PM
I just recieved my tracking number!

Whooo Hooooo :D

Cliff Rohrabacher
02-05-2007, 6:38 PM
$600.00 for a router table?

Seem a lot.

Brian Hale
02-05-2007, 6:49 PM
Yes, it's a bit high but it's cast iron, not one of those MDF laminated tops. I like the idea of being able to use my mag feather boards with it. Next is the Bench Dog Prolift. Come On Tax Return! ;)

Tom Ruflin
02-05-2007, 7:31 PM
Brian, Congrats on the new router table. I seriously considered the top but instead settled for a Benchdog prolift and PC 3 1/4 hp PC router. The prolift is great. I had to beef up my top to take the weight of the lift and router which you will not have to worry about. Post pics when it arrives.

Brian Hale
02-05-2007, 7:58 PM
The UPS site says i'll get 3 packages with a total weight of 83 lbs!

Pics upon arrival for sure!

Brian Hale
02-06-2007, 4:21 AM
UPS says i'll get delivery on 2/12. :( I was hoping to get it setup this weekend but......

Faron Dunn
02-11-2007, 4:45 PM
Brian,

UPS says mine suppose to be delivered on the 13th.

Faron :)

Jeffrey Schronce
02-11-2007, 5:18 PM
I would say that they could sell it for that price.
Currently on Amazon the cast iron table, fence etc is $239.99, the iron end cap is $55.99 and the Bench Dog cabinet is $103.99. $40 worth of shipping = $439. The one you are looking at has better cabinet and casters (which you can buy from Bench Dog). Your unit on ebay is $630 total which seems like a fair deal.

Edit : Noted casters are not included with ebay auction. They are around $50 IIRC.
Maybe you would be better off buying the table/fence, cabinet and end cap from Amazon. Use code 20offpta to get 20% off total (off Router Table and Cabinet) at checkout.

Bench Dog 40-031 ProMAX Cast Iron Router Table $239.99 + $19.99 Shipping

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search?ie=UTF8&keywords=B00005RHP5%20&tag=wwwemcadjusti-20&index=blended&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325

Bench Dog 40-044 ProMAX Cast Iron End Cap $69.99 Free Shipping

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search?ie=UTF8&keywords=B000FW1X04%20&tag=wwwemcadjusti-20&index=blended&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325

Bench Dog 40-007 ProCabinet Router Table Cabinet $103.99 + $19.99 Shipping

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search?ie=UTF8&keywords=B00005RHP3%20&tag=wwwemcadjusti-20&index=blended&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325

Total $453.95 for almost identical unit (cabinet is a little different). Also, you could always make your own cabinet or build a cheaper stand.

Double Edit : Sorry didn't read the whole thread and see that you had already bought the other unit. Its a fine unit and I am sure you'll be happy with it!

Brian Hale
02-11-2007, 7:44 PM
Oh sure Jeffrey, try and make me feel bad! LOL :D

According to UPS tracking, mine should be delivered tomorrow but right now it's still down in Laurel and hasn't been transfered to the Hunt Valley depot where all my shipments come from. I'll check again in the morning.

Faron Dunn
02-14-2007, 2:48 PM
Mine came in today.
New in the box just as listed.

Faron

Ted Miller
02-14-2007, 3:31 PM
Feedback is the major concern with me as well as Amazon vendors. I always look at the negatives to see what buyers complained about. On Ebay if the feedback is lower than 98% then I go right on by unless they have 100s or even 1000s of feedback. When it comes to Amazon if you have 96% or lower I skip that vendor, but since I am a Prime member I never pay shipping so I go with mostly Amazon buys...

Brian Hale
02-14-2007, 3:31 PM
Glad to hear it arrived Faron!

The box box the cabinet comes in is one heavy beast, ain't it!

Jerry Olexa
02-14-2007, 4:05 PM
Brian, I think you'll be OK. His rating is excellent!!!

James Carmichael
02-14-2007, 6:29 PM
Pay with PayPal and if it goes south, you'll have some protection.

I dunno what their policy is nowadays, but last I checked (a couple years ago) paypal protection only went up to $200, and you have to open a complaint within 30 days of auction end. So read the fine print carefully.

Absolutely never pay for an online transaction with Western Union.