PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Drill Doctor

glenn bradley
02-03-2007, 12:50 PM
Anybody use them? Are they worth it or do you find that a touch up on the grinder is just as good for those bits you use enough to dull?

Gary Keedwell
02-03-2007, 1:07 PM
Anybody use them? Are they worth it or do you find that a touch up on the grinder is just as good for those bits you use enough to dull?
They might be worth the $ if you do alot of metal drilling. Don't think it will sharpen forstner or brad point drills, which are standard for woodworking. It would take alot of sharpenening (standard twist drills) for it to pay for itself. IMNSHO
Gary K.

Roy McQuay
02-03-2007, 1:07 PM
I keep looking at them, but don't buy because I use brad point bits mostly, and Drill Doctor won't sharpen them. Most of the regular drill bits I use are for small pilot holes and I tend to break them before they ever get dull. But I would still like to know if they work.

Dave Bureau
02-03-2007, 1:12 PM
I have one and they do a great job. i drill more steel than wood though

Jack Ganssle
02-03-2007, 1:25 PM
I have one, cost about $100, bought when sadly regarding my pile of a couple of hundred mostly dull bits. I drill a lot of stainless (for my sailboat). A boring afternoon's work brought them all back to shiny-sharp. Some of those bits, like the 1/2" ones, are pretty expensive so the Drill Doctor is very cost-effective for me.

It only sharpens standard twist drills.

It's easy to use and does a great job.

Jack

glenn bradley
02-03-2007, 1:38 PM
Thanks all for confirming my thoughts!

Paul Douglass
02-03-2007, 6:17 PM
I just bought the 750X after discussing it with myself for two years. It was recently on sale from Tyler Tools. I used my Christmas money. Was it worth it you D@#$ right! I have all kinds of old dull bits laying around. I have sharpened 30 or 40 of them already. Used one today that before wouldn't go through soft metal. It was great. I don't know why I waited so long to get one. If you don't want to spend the money I'd go in 1/2 with a close friend and share it. I LOVE IT!!!:D

Got to add though the other posts are correct. If you do just woodworking it is not worht it. Only sharpens twist and masonry bits.

Jeffrey Makiel
02-03-2007, 7:32 PM
I noticed a newer version of Drill Doctor is now available and the older versions were selling for around $70.

The input you received is good info...it does not sharpen brad point, forstner, auger or spade bits. I believe it does standard twist, split point (which is like a standard twist and usually found on cobalt steel twist bits) and masonary carbide.

It is easy to use and the results are always like factory new.

If you own a good set of quality drill bits that are getting dull, Drill Doctor is worth it. If you have a collection of cheap import drill bits, it may not be worth it unless you do a lot of metal drilling also.

-Jeff :)

Charles McKinley
02-03-2007, 9:07 PM
It works great on regular bit. There are differences between the cheaper and more expensive models. The more money gets you a diamond wheel and larger capacity. The cheaper ones use a sandpaper sleeve.

Bruce Page
02-03-2007, 9:19 PM
I received the 750 as a gift a couple of years ago. It does a very good job, but I still sharpen my bits by hand. :rolleyes:

Randal Stevenson
02-03-2007, 10:00 PM
If you have any bits that go from metal to wood, I would recommed it. I have my good wood bits, and my good metal bits, then I have those other bits, that are normally in my carry boxes, that can be used on anything.

I bought it mainly due to garage (auto) work, but I think it has done me well.

Tim Wagner
02-04-2007, 3:01 AM
I use one for work. it will sharpen regular bits, and masonary bits. if your drill bit breaks, just grind the tip flat and resharpen it. works good.

Joe Trotter
02-04-2007, 11:09 AM
Glenn,
Home Depot had one recently and it had a mail in coupon for a free 3/4 adapter.

I still havent bought one yet, too many other irons in the fire.

Joe

"Michael Hinkel"
02-04-2007, 11:15 AM
I've had one for years, no complaints, I like it

Jules Dominguez
02-04-2007, 12:54 PM
I bought one from Home Depot about a year ago. I used it to sharpen an accumulation of old bits, and now use it for touchup when needed. It may not have been a strictly cost-justified purchase, since I'm a hobbyist woodworker and home repairman, but it does a good job, is easy to use and sure is handy.

Bruce Boone
02-04-2007, 1:18 PM
I bought one specifically for some 1/2" carbide drills I was going through when drilling titanium. At $70 a pop, the drills got expensive, and the Drill Doctor does a great job on them. I had to figure out some strange settings because they have straight flutes, but once I got that dialed in, it worked great. I can sharpen a drill 20 or more times now, saving a ton of cash. I use it for other drills as well, but they don't get dull quite so fast.

Gary Keedwell
02-04-2007, 2:17 PM
I bought one specifically for some 1/2" carbide drills I was going through when drilling titanium. At $70 a pop, the drills got expensive, and the Drill Doctor does a great job on them. I had to figure out some strange settings because they have straight flutes, but once I got that dialed in, it worked great. I can sharpen a drill 20 or more times now, saving a ton of cash. I use it for other drills as well, but they don't get dull quite so fast.
For metal workers it can save alot of money.....for the average WOODWORKER it can be a waste of money and space.
Gary k.

Noah Katz
02-04-2007, 2:34 PM
Does it work on bits with stepped and or Morse taper shanks?

Bruce Boone
02-04-2007, 2:40 PM
Noah, the drills are gripped on the flute end by a collet, so it doesn't matter what shank is on the drill.

Craig Zettle
02-04-2007, 3:14 PM
I had a 350 (the cheap one) and I also believe that for the woodworker it is not versatile enough to justify the investment. I have several hex shank bits that go with a quick change system and it could not sharpen them because the hex shank is thicker than the flutes and the holder can't grip properly. (so it does matter what shank is on the bit) With that unit you have to set the depth in the same hole you sharpen in, and I just could not get the hang of it. Another thing I didn't like was how difficult it was to sharpen small bits. After I found out the many things it can't do, I returned it.
Based on my personal experience, for the woodworker I vote no.

Noah Katz
02-04-2007, 5:11 PM
XLNT, thanks Bruce