PDA

View Full Version : How much is this table saw worth?

Luke McFadden
02-03-2007, 12:33 PM
I'm going to go check it out next week. The person selling it isn't able to get my any model numbers yet as he is out of town. I know it is a Ryobi, and I know it will not be the best. But, if I can get it for $50 (assuming it is in good condition) then I think it would be worth it as my first table saw. Something to learn on and see what options I would like in a future saw.

Luke

Roy McQuay
02-03-2007, 1:00 PM
$50 is pretty inexpensive way to see if you like a tablesaw. And, if you like having a tablesaw, you will, you can likely get $50 for this one again. I am currently using a Jet Supersaw with 50" cut and I am contemplating a new, better saw. This can be an expensive hobby.....

Jason Roehl
02-03-2007, 1:24 PM
You won't like that tablesaw, more than likely. Portable bench saws like that are pretty wimpy and pretty much don't do better than rough cuts at best. But, if you need the portability, they can fill the bill.

Tyler Howell
02-03-2007, 3:02 PM
It's old but I don't think it belongs in the neander forum:rolleyes: :D

Randal Stevenson
02-03-2007, 7:56 PM
IMHO, it's worth about $20. It's of use as a cutoff saw, a LOT more then a table saw. You would be MUCH better off, with an old Emerson made Craftsman table saw, and in my local area, I see them average $150 ($75-$200).

You can find these in any brand (just about), and they make more people I know who have used them, get OUT of working with wood.

If this is in the Neander forum because your using only a handsaw right now, stick with the handsaw.

Brad Woods
02-03-2007, 8:04 PM
My advice is, don't waste your money. There are a lot of used saws out there if you know where to look that will be far superior to that one. Check out the Old Woodworking Machines (http://www.owwm.com) site and its associated discussion forum for some inspiration. It is far better, in my opinion, to buy something of quality. I would be patient and wait for the right thing to come along. As was stated, this is an expensive hobby, but there are good deals on used machines that are far better than anything made today. All you need is a little bit of know how. The guys at OWWM can help you with that. Good luck

Brad

Gary Herrmann
02-03-2007, 9:13 PM
I used a Dewalt portable for 4 or 5 years. I got it thru one of those freaky Amazon sales that last about half a day.

If the fence can be made square to the blade and the miter channels are as well, a portable isn't horrible. If your budget is $50, give it a shot. But, read up on the general forum, how to test to see if the saw is square of be made so. Bring a piece of ply with you and put the saw thru its paces.

When I sold mine to a young guy, I showed him how mine was square.

If you're budget will support a couple hundred, you would be better off with with a vintage and/or contractor saw.

Oh and Tyler, maybe it's owned by a neander? :D

Dewayne Reding
02-04-2007, 6:59 AM
Gary

If your Dewalt is like my DW744, it has a reasonably decent fence that will actually rip a board straight. The saw in this thread is a notch or two down from that. If I was looking for a cheap starter TS, I would be adding $50 and looking for a used TS.

scott spencer
02-04-2007, 9:27 AM
That saw is about $100 new....direct drive, universal motor, light, loud, and small. It should cut wood, but it may frustrate you. I wouldn't pay more than $50 that's for sure, and for ~ $100 you could probably land a functioning full size cast iron contractor saw with a belt drive induction motor. I've bought and cleaned up a couple of older Emerson made Craftsman 113.298 series contractor saws in the $80-$100 range....those are essentially the guts of a modern Ridgid 3650, which is a well respected $550 saw. A full size contractor saw will accept add on accessories from other saws...fence, motor, wings, miter gauge, etc., so it can grow with you if you like....food for thought.

Here's an epinions rewiew of the BTS-10
http://www.epinions.com/content_279932341892

Just for comparison, here's a pic of a full size contractor saw on Craigslist for $100...it's dirty but should clean up nicely.

Good luck!

Jerry Olexa
02-04-2007, 12:50 PM
I'd go less than $50 but its an inex way to test a TS...

Greg Peterson
02-04-2007, 1:11 PM
I'd negotiate a lower selling price, and then buy it with the understanding that it would be used primarily as a means of evaluating your wants/needs in a table saw.

You may likely be able to do some smaller, hobbyist type projects with a fair degree of success and accuracy. But you will also quickly run into benchtop TS limitations.

When you're ready to upgrade to a TS that is bigger, better and faster, you can sell this off, hand it down or keep it for the odd little jobs.

I find it far easier to acquire tools than to get rid of them. Regardless of their failings.

Brian Hale
02-04-2007, 1:14 PM
I don't mean to sound nasty but if you give the guy a check for $25 and walk away, you'll be $25 ahead.

The tip of my thumb is still numb nearly 26 years after a similar saw with a direct drive universal motor bit me. Seems under load things shifted/flexed and pinched the board against the fence. The fence slipped and the board rotated up and pulled my thumb into the blade. All in about 1/3 of a second. Can't tell by looking at but it's a constant reminder.

It's just not worth the risk. Save up and get a used Craftsman of a new contractor saw. You'll never regret it.

Brian :)

Jim McCarty
02-04-2007, 1:14 PM
You're gonna hate it and it will give you a bad taste for what a tablesaw should be. Save your money. Try using a friends decent tablesaw to get a feel for what you will be using when you get a good saw. Just my 2 cents. Jim