PDA

View Full Version : Going to be spending a couple days in Pheonix, AZ area...what to do?

Bob Opsitos
02-03-2007, 12:06 PM
I'll be out there with my dad and brother for a couple days next week. They'll be playing golf; I will not. No offence meant to any golfers, but I'd rather crap in my hat and wear it then play golf.

So any special wood related places to hit or obvious sites to see (Grand Canyon comes to mind)?

Only be there 3 days or so.

Let me know
thanks
Bob

Bill Wyko
02-03-2007, 12:25 PM
There's a 3 day wood turners event in mesa comming up.:eek: Malcolm Tibbetts will be there among many othe very talented people.

Bob Opsitos
02-03-2007, 12:40 PM
Bill when you mentioned it, I recalled the post that I had seen a couple weeks ago, did a search and found what I needed.

However, I fly out on saturday noonish, and the Friday activities appear to be limited to pre-registration with the symposium starting in earnest saturday. Shame as that would have been ideal for me.

Also I realized the grand canyon is like 5 hours from phoenix. Bummer.

thanks
Bob

Mike Vickery
02-03-2007, 1:16 PM
Woodworkers Source in Tempe AZ
Chandler Hadwoods Chandler AZ
Timber Mesa AZ
Woodcraft in Chandler AZ

Those are the big places but none of them are all that exciteing.

Bill Wyko
02-03-2007, 1:16 PM
The PHX zoo is pretty nice this time of year as well.:rolleyes:

Al Wasser
02-03-2007, 2:15 PM
If you go to the Grand Canyon, and everyone should see it at least once, swing into the Sedona area. If you don't want to go that far, and like plants, check out the area botanic gardens. It's been a spell but Baseline Rd in south PHX has/had some neat flower fields. I'm sure your hotel/motel can give you directions and info on any of these places

Keith Cope
02-03-2007, 3:03 PM
Bob,

If you are an architecture fan at all, Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesin West is a must see. And Sedona is about 90 minutes north and definitely worth the trip.

Keith

Bill Wyko
02-03-2007, 3:04 PM
Otherwise arizona is 30 miles from water and 3 feet from hell.:eek:

Clem Wixted
02-03-2007, 3:28 PM
If you go to Sedona, Oak Creek Canyon is a little further north towards the Grand Canyon. If you've never been to the Grand Canyon it is worth the trip. Try to see it at either sun-up or sun-set, spectacular!

You could consider Montezuma's Castle.

This five-level, 20 room cliff dwelling nestled into a limestone recess high above Beaver Creek served as a "high-rise apartment building" for prehistoric Sinagua Indians over 600 years ago. It is one of the best preserved cliff dwellings in North America.

Erroneously named for the 16th century Aztec ruler, the site is a classic example of the last phase of southern Sinagua occupation of the Verde Valley.

Kevin McPeek
02-03-2007, 9:24 PM
Really depends on what you're into.
If you don't want to go far you could go to South Mountain Park its got lots of hiking trails and a road to the top that has a pretty good sun set. It is the largest municipal park in the US. Heres a link http://phoenix.gov/parks/hikesoth.html
Usery Park is nice also there is a few good hiking trails there. If you want a short but nice drive you could go to Tortilla Flats http://www.tortillaflataz.com/ There are a few old mining places to stop on the way up there.

Curt Fuller
02-03-2007, 9:54 PM
Man, I thought I hated golf. But I'd take the golf over a hat full of crap any day. Just being somewhere that you can soak up some sunshine without 5 layers of clothes would be nice this time of year.

Ed Frie
02-05-2007, 9:14 AM
Go to Mesa, near the ASU campus, find the Chuckbox restaurant for the best hamburger you will ever eat. Look for an small old building with gray barnwood siding.
Go to Tucson, to the Sonoran Desert Museum, go to their hummingbird aviary, see their raptor show and their regular aviary as well.
On the way to Tucson, stop and feed the ostriches. I know it sounds stupid, but trust me, it's fun.

TYLER WOOD
02-05-2007, 10:55 AM
Mill Avenue for some cheap college style entertainment. There is South mountain you could go up in the eveing before the sun goes bown and see the city at night. Fabulous if you LOYL is with you. Camelback, Papago, South, any of the surrounding hills/mountains if you enjoy climbing. The zoo is nice, Lots of nice malls if you or spouse enjoy. I was there while in college so most of the activities I was diong were either physical or college age related, so take this for what it is.

If you can ever get there for spring training in baseball, GO!!!
You might be able to catch ASU in a series Friday! Suns basketball, Coyotes hockey.

SOOOO much to do in Phoenix, but the surrounding areas are nice too. Pinnalce Peak steakhouse is great if you want to get out of the city for a great steak at a good price. Jerome AZ has a ghost town that is nice. Go to the Haunted House grill. Get the Haunted Burger, buy my friends bowls there. There is an art gallery either in or right by the grill that Mike Chambers had entered some of his work there.