PDA

View Full Version : My wife - Ya (I mean "I") Gotta Love Her!!

Glen Blanchard
02-03-2007, 9:27 AM
So my lovely wife of 22 years and I are eating dinner at a local restaurant last night, and the talk turns to woodworking. I mention this rather cool new tool being introduced to the U.S. in April, and tell her it is a Festool product. She is a bit familiar with Festool as she bought me one of their sanders for Christmas. Anyway, I explain to her what the tool does and tell her it looks pretty cool. Then I tell her that, being a Festool product, it is quite expensive. She asked how much. I reply by telling her, "about $750!". Ya know what she says then???? She says, "Oh, that's not bad. Did you order it?"

This is the same lady who, after I upgraded my bandsaw a couple of years ago, suggested that I keep, and not sell, my 14" so I could have them each set up for a different purpose (one for scrolling and one for re-saw).

This lady is a real sweetheart!

Ken Fitzgerald
02-03-2007, 9:32 AM
Yup...She's a keeper!....She was just trying to save you the embarrassment of groveling in public!:rolleyes: ..........Did you order it yet?

Jim Dunn
02-03-2007, 9:47 AM
Yeah, but your her dentist.:) Sure is sweet having a wife that dosen't mind you spending a little money on tools.

Alan Schaffter
02-03-2007, 10:32 AM
I was reading this to my wife and after a brief discussion where I had mentioned about the excellent (but like all Festools, expensive) Festool shopvac she says, "How expensive (I answer) well why don't you get one- you know you don't like the one you have" - just about knocked me out of my chair!! Now if I can just make this happen with a Shelix head for my planer. :)

John Michaels
02-03-2007, 10:45 AM
My wife is a sweetheart too. Last year I spent a lot of money on tools. One day I was recalling how much I spent and she replies, "but you needed all of them."

Glen Blanchard
02-03-2007, 10:48 AM
She was just trying to save you the embarrassment of groveling in public!:rolleyes:
Ken, You know me better than I thought.

..........Did you order it yet?
Still bouncing e-mails with Bob M. :D

Jim Young
02-03-2007, 11:00 AM
Can she cook too?

scott spencer
02-03-2007, 11:14 AM
Take her to dinner again! :)

David Cramer
02-03-2007, 11:17 AM
Lucky you Glen! To say that she is a keeper for life is an understatement. I almost started to "tear up:eek: " when I read the part about the bandsaw and then to throw a festool on top of it (with her encouragement!!!). You're killing me! I don't have as many years in the bank as you, but I sure hope that happens to me one day. I probably will have a heart attack, but just her saying that will be worth it! I thought a woman using encouragement and tools in the same sentence was an oxymoron, but your wife has proved me wrong:rolleyes: !! Have a great Saturday and enjoy:) the domino when you get it.

Dave

Randall Frey
02-03-2007, 11:55 AM
Warning, on page 32 of the husbands handbook it clearly states, " exercise caution when approval is given on a major man purchase. This can be a diversion for a major woman purchase that typically dwarfs the original man purchase". I just saw this and thought I would pass it on.

Gary Keedwell
02-03-2007, 12:06 PM
So my lovely wife of 22 years and I are eating dinner at a local restaurant last night, and the talk turns to woodworking. I mention this rather cool new tool being introduced to the U.S. in April, and tell her it is a Festool product. She is a bit familiar with Festool as she bought me one of their sanders for Christmas. Anyway, I explain to her what the tool does and tell her it looks pretty cool. Then I tell her that, being a Festool product, it is quite expensive. She asked how much. I reply by telling her, "about $750!". Ya know what she says then???? She says, "Oh, that's not bad. Did you order it?"

This is the same lady who, after I upgraded my bandsaw a couple of years ago, suggested that I keep, and not sell, my 14" so I could have them each set up for a different purpose (one for scrolling and one for re-saw).

That's funny, because I always "low-ball" it, too. I put away a few hundred and when I purchase it we're both happy. ( I always wonder if she knew the REAL price.) ;)
Gary K.

Paul Douglass
02-03-2007, 12:21 PM
Randall and I have read the same book!:)

Bryan Somers
02-03-2007, 12:54 PM
A wife gloat and a going to get a new tool gloat all in one. She definataly deserves another dinner at even better reseraunt.

Jim Becker
02-03-2007, 10:00 PM
Yup...keep her. She understands. And be sure to make her something really nice with that Domino you hopefully have on order, too! :)

Dr. SWMBO is of similar disposition...she saw a big box on a trailer in the driveway on Thursday when she got home from work and asked, "What's in the gigantic box?"

"The table saw upgrade I ordered last year.", I replied.

"Oh. It's big."

"Yes, folks are coming over on Saturday morning to help get it off the trailer."

"Should I buy the girls lunch out after swimming and karate at the Y?"

:)

Dave Fifield
02-04-2007, 4:04 AM
They somehow always know what the real price was. When they ask "how much was that then honey?", it's a test! I nearly got caught out on this last week when my set of straight router bits arrived from Leigh - somehow, she'd seen the invoice before I hid it.......

Ken Shoemaker
02-04-2007, 6:35 AM
Does she have a sister????

Mandell Mann
02-04-2007, 8:25 AM

You are a Blessed man. My wife too allowed me to spend some cash on cool tools. She told me whatever cash I made from cabinet making I could keep for buying tools. So far I've made 6,500 and I'm in the process of purchasing a bandsaw, cabinet saw, jointer, planer, and dust collection. Keep in mind that this is a hobby. She keeps my income for herself.:D

Thank You GOD for "Supporting Woodworking Wives"

Jerry Olexa
02-04-2007, 12:48 PM
You are a blessed man...