PDA

View Full Version : Price for used Grizzly 1023SL or Unisaw

Brad Stoppenhagen
02-03-2007, 8:49 AM
New guy here. I have been lurking around for a little while and I have to say great board! I have been doing woodworking since I was around 10 when I bought a used skill jigsaw at a garage sale for $16 (over 25 years later I still have & use that saw BTW). I have a good selection of hand electrics, nailers and a miter saw, but it is time to add some machinery.

My first step is a table saw. I have found a couple nearby.

I found a used Grizzly 1023SL saw. The owner claims it is about 2-years old with about 20 hours on it. He has a "few blades to go with it...and a frued dado set. The safety shielf for the blade itself. Two inserts...one for a single blade....one for a dado." It is pretty much as it came out of the box. He is asking $850.

I also found a Rockwell Unisaw and model 34-801. It has a 50" fence or so (pics look like standard equipment). It looks pretty plain with no accessories, especially compared to one I saw go for around $600-$650 locally. I'm a little concerned about the length of the fence length as it will go into my 12' x 22' basement shop. It is about 20 years old. Asking price is $750.

I think both are priced a little high. I'm leaning towards the Grizzly. Which one should I pursue and what's a fair offer?

The guy with Grizzly also says he has a 6" Rigid Jointer that is in good shape with little use. Reviews on here seem favorable for the Rigid. Not sure it's in the budget right now. What is a fair price for this?

Lars Thomas
02-03-2007, 10:20 AM
The Grizz alone would cost you about $1100 new with out the blades or dado insert, So the price doesn't stike me as out of line - especially if he'll help you load/unload it. I'm not that good at working/fixing machines . . .but if the Uni is in good shape, that 50" fence sure is nice and would make a nice addition to your shop (assuming it can fit). Either are good choices and the prices seem reasonable.

David Cramer
02-03-2007, 11:24 AM
Personally, I'd just buy a new one. Like Lars said, I'm not good with working with machinery either. I can use them, but fixing them up if it is really involved, that is a different story. I thought you could get a new Unisaw for the low 1300's if I remember right. A post awhile back was talking about an Amazon sale and it was an outstanding price for a 3HP Unisaw "brand new". I may be all wet, but $750 for a twenty year old saw with may be a bit much, unless you're great at fixing things and "have the time". Good luck with your decision!

Dave

Don Brillhart
02-03-2007, 11:47 AM
Check the Utter Guys web site for a sale on Steel City table saws. Good prices, rebates and resonable delivery costs.
Don Brillhart

Jim Thiel
02-03-2007, 9:47 PM
I found a used Grizzly 1023SL saw. He is asking $850.

I also found a Rockwell Unisaw Asking price is $750.

I think both are priced a little high. I'm leaning towards the Grizzly. Which one should I pursue and what's a fair offer?

[/FONT]

To my way of thinking, You are being asked to assume much risk with no recourse. In my opinion, used (you cannot benefit from a warranty) equipment should fetch 50-60% of current retail. The extra blades, as nice as they may be, are used blades. You really don't know if they have been peened w/ a hammer* or not.

As for the old machine, discounting the value of being, I would shoot for 30-40% of it's current model (hp, fence size, etc...).

The Griz new is 975. another 100 shipping. 650 tops.

Jim

*note: I am a pessimist. I believe the worse of men. We among all creation are capable of the worse offences.

Lynn Damron
02-04-2007, 7:43 AM
The problem with used equipment is the condition of the bearings, trunions, warpage in the cast parts, missing or broken pieces, etc. The condition of kind of equipment can vary all over the place as can the price. I have seen junk Unisaws going for big bucks at auctions. If you aren't comfortable with replacing bearings, shimming trunions, and the other stuff necessary to tune up your purchase, stay away from "deals" IMHO.

Bill Leonard
02-04-2007, 8:33 AM
Regards the ridgid jointer price. I recently purchased a used 6 inch ridgid jointer from a fellow that claimed to be afraid of the tool. He claims that he turned it on, ran one piece of wood through it and shut it off. There was NO indication that the tool had ever been on when I looked at it. I walked away with the jointer and he appeared to be happy with my $200.00.

Brian Ross
02-04-2007, 8:57 AM
I have a Unisaw that I bought new 25 years ago and it is still going strong and it gets used a lot. This past summer it sounded like the bearings were getting noisy and I took off the table (4 bolts) and discovered the set screw on the arbor pulley had become loose. I also replaced the bearings on the shaft. Bearings cost $18 for quality bearings with made in China half of that. The bearings were fine but after 25 years I figured I owed the saw that. There are several great sites on how to repair your Uni. I am a great believer in used tools as being good value. My mortising machine is a Crescent and they went out of business in the late 40's.It weighs 700 lbs and works like a charm. I paid $531 for it. I would go for the Uni with the GRiz being a close 2nd choice. Those blades are worth something and I have about $800 worth hanging on my shop wall. Good luck and I am sure you will be happy with either decision.
Brian

Michael Keating
02-04-2007, 10:26 AM
You could get this one:

http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2862351&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=

Not to bad a price.

Michael Gibbons
02-04-2007, 3:09 PM
When I was at my local woodcraft a week ago, A brand new Unisaw with 50" Beis fence, blade, insert, mobile base was 2199.99. Cheap blades are 50bucks each, a dado set around 150. Figure it out.

Brad Stoppenhagen
02-04-2007, 4:22 PM
Thanks guys. I have a hard time spending big money on a used piece of equipment too. The price on the Grizzly in WV looks to be a a pretty good price. I'll have to check how far it is.

Jeff Webster
02-10-2007, 3:14 AM
I found a used Grizzly 1023SL saw. The owner claims it is about 2-years old with about 20 hours on it. He has a "few blades to go with it...and a frued dado set. The safety shielf for the blade itself. Two inserts...one for a single blade....one for a dado." It is pretty much as it came out of the box. He is asking $850.

Jeff: I'll start by saying I am biased. I had a similar debate last year when I decided that my former piece of junk bench top TS made me hate joinery. I was in between the Craftsman and Grizzly Hybrids. The were both priced about the same. I am now thanking my wonderful wife for talking me into getting the full blown Grizzly 1023. We decided that if I was going to spend over $600, I might as well get a cabinet saw so as not to wish I had one later. I love my 3HP beast. Anyways, I spent over $1100 getting it to my door. I got a lot of extras though. I got the motor cover, dust port, ShopFox Mobile Base, sliding compound, and forklift service from the freight company. Only gripe was the lack of a plug. I had to spend about $100 to upgrade to a 220V circuit and plug. I made a jointing jog that I actually prefer to jointing on my router table. If I had it to do over, I would have bought the cast iron router wing. $850 is great for that saw if it is in good shape!

Brad Stoppenhagen
02-10-2007, 9:15 AM
So I started looking into the EZ Smart system instead of a full-blown table saw. Most of my initial projects are cabinets & bookshelves so I will be working with sheet stock more often so I'm thinking the EZ thingy might fit the bill initially.