PDA

View Full Version : Router Speed

Ed Gibbons
02-03-2007, 8:33 AM
I plan on purchasing the Leigh 1600 dovetail jig. As often is the case, I probably will be forced to purchase a new router. Can anyone recommend a router? Also, how important is variable speed with a router?

Thanks,
Ed

Tim Malyszko
02-03-2007, 8:49 AM
I plan on purchasing the Leigh 1600 dovetail jig. As often is the case, I probably will be forced to purchase a new router. Can anyone recommend a router? Also, how important is variable speed with a router?

Thanks,
Ed

While I don't have the Leigh 1600 dovetail jig, I do have the Akeda dovetail jig and I use the Dewalt DW618 with the D handle fixed base. It's variable speed and has interchangeable bases, giving you the option to use it as a fixed base, plunge or D-handle router. I personally prefer to use the D-Handle option when using my dovetail jig.

You can pick up the DW618 with all 3 bases for around $270. It's 2 1/4" HP, so it's got plenty of power for most jobs. It also accomidates 1/4" and 1/2" bits and has a soft-start.

Variable speed is a must as the speed should be matched to the type of wood being cut.

Joe Spear
02-03-2007, 9:22 AM
And the speed needs to be varied according to the diameter of the bit.

Jeff Wright
02-03-2007, 9:51 AM
For some interesting insights into router speeds, visit:

http://www.newwoodworker.com/rtrbitspds.html

pat warner
02-03-2007, 10:51 AM
Router for dovetail jigs: Maybe a plunger (http://patwarner.com/selecting_router.html) because the straight bit cuts will benefit from stage cutting, something the plunger was designed to do.

Speed considerations: See no.5. (http://patwarner.com/faq.html)

Richard Keller
02-03-2007, 8:25 PM

Thanks,
Ed

Variable speed - not important. Small dovetail bits need to go full tilt for good results.

As for the router - do NOT buy DeWalt. No matter what they tell you, how cheap they will sell it to you. I have the Leigh D4, and despite what some people will say, it is a very good jig. But you need a good router with it. Centering the guide bushing is critical, and it is IMPOSSIBLE in most routers. I bought two DW616's and there is miles of play between the base and motor. Makita RF1101 and Bosch 1617XXX are good choices. You need to look for a small, easy to handle, fixed base router with no play between the base and motor. My jig is idle right now, but I plan to get two new Makita's for the next job... I bought the second DW616 for the last job, thinking I would save time changing bits :( - wrong! The results were terrible. I called Leigh thinking that something was wrong with the jig. They kindly helped me through finding that two routers with uncenterable guide bushings was the problem....

Richard.

(Sorry for the mini-rant)

Jeff Wright
02-03-2007, 9:04 PM
Variable speed - not important.

I respectfully diagree. You don't want to be turning a 3" router bit at 25,000 rpms . . . at least with you being in the same room as the router.

George Heatherly
02-04-2007, 1:33 AM
I use Porter Cable 690 series routers with my Leigh D4. The D-handle is very nice for using on the jig. Like Richard said above, I don't think variable speed is important for doing dovetails. I do have a variable speed router in my router table for when I need to use big bits.

I don't care for plunge routers for use on a dovetail jig. I feel like they put the center of gravity too high.

If I had to own only a single router, I would get a 1.5 0r 2.5 HP router with variable speed and both fixed and plunge bases. You'll spend aa lot of time changing bases and baseplates, bit you should be able to handle most jobs that come along.