PDA

View Full Version : Shop made Spokeshaves

Mike Henderson
02-03-2007, 12:15 AM
Here are two wooden spokeshaves that I recently made using the LeeValley blades (and other metal parts). The one in front is the small shave (in cocobolo), and the one in back is the large shave (in pau ferro).

The LeeValley parts make for a very nice shave. In other "modern" shaves, the method of setting the depth of cut is somewhat awkward. The way Hock recommends for their shave blade is to put two screws under the ends of the blades, and adjust them until you get the amount of cut you like. The problem, of course, is that you have to take the blade out each time to make the adjustment. Dave's Shaves uses a set screw that's adjustable from the top of the shave, but you have to have an allen wrench and that technique leaves two unsightly holes in the top of the shave. With the LV "kit" you adjust the lower adjustment wheel to raise or lower each side of the blade. The top adjustment wheel just locks the blade in place. LV has a good explanation of how this works on their site, if you want more details.

Anyway, this is the first time I've used a low angle spokeshave and I was very pleased - they really work well. Much easier to use than the higher angle spokeshaves.

Mike

Brett Baldwin
02-03-2007, 12:55 AM
That's a handsome set Mike. One of the many handmade tool projects I have yet to tackle.

Mike K Wenzloff
02-03-2007, 2:13 AM
Nice job, Mike.

I too made one some time back. A low angle shave made from one of these kits is a good addition.

And just for those who would like to do this, Alice Frampton has a page for the one she made:
http://www.cornishworkshop.co.uk/spokeshavekit.html

And later, she made one with a rounded sole plate for tighter curves using bone for the plate:
http://www.cornishworkshop.co.uk/spokeshavekit06.html

Take care, Mike

Mark Singer
02-03-2007, 9:10 AM
Mike,
Very nice! I have one of these kits and never got around to making the shave. Excellent!

Lars Thomas
02-03-2007, 10:11 AM
Mike, great work on the spoke shaves. Love the coco! Lars

Mike Henderson
02-03-2007, 11:04 AM
Nice job, Mike.

I too made one some time back. A low angle shave made from one of these kits is a good addition.

And just for those who would like to do this, Alice Frampton has a page for the one she made:
http://www.cornishworkshop.co.uk/spokeshavekit.html

And later, she made one with a rounded sole plate for tighter curves using bone for the plate:
http://www.cornishworkshop.co.uk/spokeshavekit06.html

Take care, Mike
Thanks for the pointers, Mike. I wish I had seen this before I started my project. There's some good ideas for a couple of the steps in those tutorials.

Mike

jonathan snyder
02-03-2007, 12:03 PM
Mike,
Those are very nice. I will have to take a look at those kits. It looks like a fun project.

Jonathan

Phil Hirz
02-04-2007, 12:35 AM
Those looke really nice Mike. Are you planning on bringing them to class tomorrow? If you do I would like to take a look at them up close. I have been contemplating making one of these for a while now, but I haven't had the time yet.

Mike Henderson
02-04-2007, 12:46 AM
Those look really nice Mike. Are you planning on bringing them to class tomorrow? If you do I would like to take a look at them up close. I have been contemplating making one of these for a while now, but I haven't had the time yet.
Of course! I want to get you guys to use them on the chair parts to see how they work on real projects. See you then - and for lunch?

Mike

[I should probably explain that Phil is taking a Windsor chair making class at Cerritos and I'm taking a lab in the room next door. I drop by often to see how the chair making is going on.]

rick fulton
02-04-2007, 1:06 AM
Mike,
They look great. Did the kit come with a dimensioned drawing for the handle or did you base the design on a favorite body style? Thanks for sharing.
rick

Mike Henderson
02-04-2007, 1:22 AM
Mike,
They look great. Did the kit come with a dimensioned drawing for the handle or did you base the design on a favorite body style? Thanks for sharing.
rick
The LV kit comes with a pattern for the shape of the handles, which I mostly followed. I did not put the depression into the center-top of the shave, just because I felt they looked better without it. If I made another shave (and I might make one with a rounded front for concave shapes) I'd probably experiment with the handle shape some more.

I'll also see how these feel in my hands and make changes based on that. Thanks for your comments.

Mike