PDA

View Full Version : Old clamp

Fred Voorhees
02-02-2007, 7:35 PM
Thought you guys would be interested in seeing a picture of a fairly old clamp that my youngest brother presented to me today. He cleaned out a crawlspace the other day at someones house and found it. He asked the owner if they wanted it and they said he was welcome to have it. Almost completely made of wood except for a lever type jig on the moveable portion of the clamp. The metal lever locks into notches in the bottom of the bar and the working end of the clamp has a wooden screw to do the tightening. It has a roughly thirty to thirty six inch working capacity and I imagine that I would want to put some kind of face on the end of that wooden screw. That is, of course, if it weren't rusted and almost siezed up. Could probably clean it up and get it working.....but why? I think it would make a heck of a wall decoration in my shop.

Hey Jim, I'll bring it for show and tell tomorrow during the "unpalleting" of the saw.

Dan Barr
02-04-2007, 4:21 PM
very nice piece. are you going to restore it. it would look good hanging in the workshop.

dan :)

Jim Becker
02-04-2007, 4:32 PM
Folks, I saw this in person yesterday...Fred had it with him when I came over to the shop. It's a really interesting design and could be duplicated for some shop-made clamps. I suspect that the clamping pressure must stay low, but there are many times that would not be a problem.