PDA

View Full Version : shop layout questions

Mark Pruitt
02-02-2007, 7:13 PM
I am posting a scaled drawing of my shop arrangement. I am planning to purchase a new lathe during the coming month, and of course my first priority is determining where to place it. Two things I'm sure of are (1) I do not want it against a wall, and (2) I want it in close proximity to my Grinder and Midi Lathe workstation which is against the back wall to the right.

When I first designed my current layout, my goal was to place as many machines against the wall as possible to maximize floor space. Most of these machines are on wheels, enabling me to quickly pull them away from the wall if I'm cutting or milling longer pieces.

After working with this setup for a while, it seems that I'm walking back and forth a little more than I would like. This seems like a good time to explore options for re-arranging, but I'm needing to hear some ideas and suggestions. Several of these machines are "mobilzed", including the Unisaw w/ extension wing, the jointer, disc sander, tool cabinet w/grinder, miter saw, router table, bandsaw, planer, and air compressor.

BTW, the dotted lines represent DC lines; some are attached to walls, some to the ceiling. Garage size is 23'3" across, 25'5" front to back.

Any ideas for re-arranging this setup would be appreciated!

Don Bullock
02-02-2007, 7:18 PM
I'm sure you'll get responses from people much more experienced than I am. If I had to place a machine against the wall a lathe would be one of my choices. From my experience at using one, I can't remember ever needing access to the back of it.

Jim Becker
02-02-2007, 8:32 PM
I think that the "space for small vehicle" needs to go... :D :D :D

I agree that the lathe should not be against a wall, but as shown, you did a good thing with having a wall-like surface behind it to deflect chips from flying clear across the room. Keeping it out makes clean-up much easier. I have Stubbalina about a foot and a half off the wall...far enough to allow the broom access to sweep chips to the floor sweep and close enough that it's not taking up a lot of shop floor space. Keeping your grinder on a movable cabinet more or less solves its placement as you can keep it near to the lathe you are using for the moment. Incorporating your tool rack below the grinder makes for even more convenience along the same thought line.

Mark Pruitt
02-03-2007, 10:53 AM

LOL...unfortunately I opened my big mouth and said something about it to SWMBO, so now it might be on the list of expectations...:eek: :rolleyes:

Nancy Laird
02-03-2007, 11:26 AM
Mark, LOML and I just recently helped another Creeker design the layout for his new shop, and one of the things that we tried to emphasize to him was to place his machines and tools in such a way that follows the way he works. E.g., from the TS to the jointer to the planer to the chop saw to the next work station. Before you start rearranging, you might want to take a good look at HOW you work and arrange things in some sort of order. (Sorry, this may be redundant, since I can't read your plan well enough to see if you've already done this.)

I agree with Jim, though. the "space for small vehicle" needs to go. Claim your space!!!

Nancy

Richard Keller
02-03-2007, 8:01 PM

Thbbbbt! Screw that! I know you get snow over there on the other side of the lake :) :) :) We're getting a good dumping here in SW Ontario right now.

I'd build another 20-30 feet on the front of that garage to accommodate the lathe and perhaps a new pickup truck :) :) :) :)

I'd also put the lathe against the wall. There's nothing on the back you need to get to...

Richard.