PDA

View Full Version : Truck mirrors for towing

Frank Chaffee
02-02-2007, 7:07 PM
I’ll be towing an 8’ x 8’ x 20’ enclosed cargo trailer to Arizona. My full size Chevy beater pickup has an ’84 body. I’m seeking recommendations for aftermarket mirrors. I prefer a tri-mount design to the sliders I see. So far, the best my search has come up with is this one:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ItemBrowse/c-10614/s-10101/p-100000161025/mediaCode-ZX/appId-5000002008347/Pr-p_CATENTRY_ID:1000001610255000002008347
Any better ideas?
Thanks,
Frank

Bryan Somers
02-02-2007, 11:10 PM
Frank speaking from my past experiences with towing RV's the fender mounted ones set too low and had alot of vibration. The type that clamps onto the mirrors are ok but I really was'nt impressed. There is a type that clamp onto the doors that are suppose to be good but I never used them. the bolt-on types are suppose to be better but I dont know enough to comment. If you have an RV dealer close by they should have a few different types in stock or could get any type you want, I would check with one to see what they have.

Jason Roehl
02-03-2007, 8:58 AM
Frank, I've got those on my work truck, and I really like them, especially because I also have a clamp-on convex mirror on each. (They came on the truck, used). I have never had the occasion to use them extended. With my ladder rack, tool boxes and those mirrors, I don't use my rear-view mirror, using those instead. Did I mention I like the added convex mirrors? They allow you to see your rear tires--a real bonus when backing up.

Lee Schierer
02-03-2007, 9:52 PM
I have a set of mirrors with a similar mount that hook on under the hood and front fender. They are rather old now, but still are funtional they can be removed when not needed and moved from one vehicle ot the next with a couple of adjustments.

Frank Chaffee
02-03-2007, 10:24 PM
Thanks guys, I guess I’ll head off to the local auto parts stores soon and hope to get a closer view of what’s available around here. Websites I have seen offer few real specs on the mirrors. I’ll weigh the clamp-on vs. screw mount options based on stability and consider whether I will be able to adapt to the slightly different angle of view of a fender mount (old dog and new tricks, doncha know? ;) )

Frank