PDA

View Full Version : Engraving PEEK Hi Temp Material?

Jim A. Walters
02-02-2007, 6:19 PM
I need to quote engraving numbers in a PEEK hi temperature electrical connector. I have Googled companies that engrave it, but they don't state whether it is done with YAG or CO2. The characters need to be minimum 0.010 deep. Is this attainable with a 25 watt CO2 laser?

Joe Pelonio
02-02-2007, 6:55 PM
I need to quote engraving numbers in a PEEK hi temperature electrical connector. I have Googled companies that engrave it, but they don't state whether it is done with YAG or CO2. The characters need to be minimum 0.010 deep. Is this attainable with a 25 watt CO2 laser?

Polyetheretherketone, with a name like that no wonder they call it PEEK.
Not on my growing list of laserables. I looked up it's properties and since it's so heat resistant (450F) I'd guess that it may mark by bleaching but probably not engrave to .01 - especially with 25 watts CO2. I saw references to laser machining of PEEK but using powerful YAG lasers. Hopefully someone knows for sure.

Dave Jones
02-02-2007, 6:58 PM
You may need to get a sample to test.

Gary Hair
02-02-2007, 9:28 PM
How about dye sublimation instead? It works on store bought high-temp, flexible outlet covers and switch plates.

Gary

Jim A. Walters
02-04-2007, 10:27 AM
Well, I no-quoted this part. My brother will be able to use his Haas to engrave these when he is drilling the through holes for the pins. One of the other parts he quoted is stainless steel and had the marking around a diameter. I did quote that job, since he can't do those on his CNC (no rotary "C" axis).

Gary - The print called out engraved 0.010 deep.

He will provide some scraps for me to sample engraving.

FYI - I tried to engrave some graphite for an EDM electrode. Couldn't touch it. A YAG can do some unbelievable detail to make graphite electrodes that almost couldn't be machined conventionally!