PDA

View Full Version : Stretchers – When are they needed?

Glen Blanchard
02-02-2007, 2:18 PM
I usually build small boxes – not furniture – so I am treading on new ground here. I am in the middle of a project now and have a question. I am building a small table (35”H x 12”W x 17”L) on which to place one of my boxes. I have the legs and aprons milled and have dry assembled the piece. What I don’t know is if I should place stretchers between the legs as well. Is there some type of rule of thumb as to when they should be used for overall stability?

Additionally, is there some type of ratio that will help me in determining an esthetically pleasing width for the aprons and stretchers and how high up the legs to place the stretchers (should I choose to place them)?

Cliff Rohrabacher
02-02-2007, 5:11 PM
In the Welsh stick chair Stretchersplay a highly dynamic role in distributing the stresses of usage, They literally push or stretch the legs apart so as to maintain tension. The legs are mounted in the thick seat with a taper fit at an angle slightly (ever so slightly) more accute than that which the legs end up being when the stretcher is doing it's job. This built in tension is necessary to hold the chair together and to prevent it from failing when it's sat on.

In a table a stretcher doesn't have work the same way It can (and often is) be a passive device redistributing the load on the table by simply providing rigidity.

Stretchers are most often used on tables that are expected to experience a lot of loading from various vectors.

All that by way of saying I'd not use 'em unless I anticipated a lot of loading on the table.

Dan Oliphant
02-02-2007, 7:19 PM
Glen, my thoughts are this, note that very few full sized tables use stretchers. Having your legs mortised and the apron tennons located in the leg mortise will give you quite a bet of side loading stength. Secure the table top to the apron with clips that will allow movement in the top. So the next question is, will stretchers inhance your design or make it less pleasing?

Aaron Thompson
02-04-2007, 11:24 AM
Regarding ratios, you might try maintaining some of the ratios you used in the box you intend to display. Another good starting place is the Golden Ratio (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio)

Glen Blanchard
02-04-2007, 3:07 PM
Thanks everyone for the input. As this was the first time building something other than a box, I really had no idea for proportions or the need for stretchers. Turns out, as others indicated, there was little need for the stretchers. The table is quite stable - especially considering its intended use - completed pic follows.

Thanks once again y'all!

http://smilesrus.com/woodworking3/IMG_0229.jpg

Dan Oliphant
02-04-2007, 4:04 PM
Very nice job Glen.

Larry James
02-04-2007, 5:02 PM
Glen, you said: "I don’t know is if I should place stretchers between the legs.."

After looking at the picture of your beautiful table, I wonder if you were pulling our leg? Pun intended.:rolleyes: :)

Larry