PDA

View Full Version : Auction for St. Judes

Keith Burns
02-02-2007, 1:08 PM
Well I see the auction is underway and the battles have begun. I can see this auction being a lot of fun and raising a lot of money for a worthy cause, IF, Mark Cothren, Travis and Jim Ketron (among others) will get off their duffs and bid on something:eek:

Travis Stinson
02-02-2007, 1:17 PM
Put your money where your mouth is Burns, I'm on it. ;)

Mark Cothren
02-02-2007, 1:20 PM
I ain't skeert... you wanna know what I'm biddin' on so you can see whose pockets are deeper, just lemme know...:D

John Hart
02-02-2007, 1:20 PM
I just finished counting my spare change receptacle here in my office. I was surprised how much money was in there!!:) I'm having a tough time choosing what I want though. Kinda like a store!!

....an ART store!;)

Keith Burns
02-02-2007, 1:30 PM
Well, I'd heard a rumor today that someone from Conway, I think his name was Dennis Nochuck, no thats not right, it was Dennis Peacock, was selling his lathe (since he doesn't turn anymore) so he could really make some HIGH BIDS to win some of this artwork:eek:

Mark Cothren
02-02-2007, 1:55 PM
No, he's not selling his lathe... it's even worse... he's back at the lumber yard buying more boards to do more.....................f...l...a...t...w...o...r ...k.

Rob Bourgeois
02-02-2007, 2:03 PM
I bid since I couldnt turn anything due to power problems in the new garage. Come on open them pockets...think of your own kids needing St Jude.

Keith Burns
02-02-2007, 2:11 PM
Well I'm not a good story teller but I will try. One of our local radio stations here in Memphis (Home to St. Judes) is having a 2 day radiothon for St. Judes. Among other things they have interviews with patients and their families. I will tell you this, none of us realize how lucky we are to be able to do what we do. They just had an interview with a woman who called St. Jude her family. One of her small children Daniel, became ill and was diagnosed with a rare form of Lukemeia. At the same time her husband was laid off work so they were concerned about paying. St. Jude told them not to worry about paying. I'm not sure how long they cared for Daniel at St. Judes but I'm sure it was for an extended amount of time. As her extended family, St. Judes had her other children write messages and put them in ballons and took them outside to release them. This was while they disconnected Daniel from life support and placed him in his mothers arms to die. The messages in the ballons were sent to heaven for Daniel to catch when he arrived. Children should not have to suffer.

I know my writting of this may not show the emotion I feel, I'm just glad I could finish it before my tears shorted out my keyboard.

Kurt Rosenzweig
02-02-2007, 2:12 PM
My bids are in for now. I'll probably do a little more shopping after the bid showing.:D

Mark Cothren
02-02-2007, 2:16 PM
Thanks Keith... here's another good read: http://www.stjude.org/kids

Keith Burns
02-02-2007, 2:18 PM
No, he's not selling his lathe... it's even worse... he's back at the lumber yard buying more boards to do more.....................f...l...a...t...w...o...r ...k.

Sinner....................

Jonathon Spafford
02-02-2007, 2:23 PM
Well I'm not a good story teller but I will try. One of our local radio stations here in Memphis (Home to St. Judes) is having a 2 day radiothon for St. Judes. Among other things they have interviews with patients and their families. I will tell you this, none of us realize how lucky we are to be able to do what we do. They just had an interview with a woman who called St. Jude her family. One of her small children Daniel, became ill and was diagnosed with a rare form of Lukemeia. At the same time her husband was laid off work so they were concerned about paying. St. Jude told them not to worry about paying. I'm not sure how long they cared for Daniel at St. Judes but I'm sure it was for an extended amount of time. As her extended family, St. Judes had her other children write messages and put them in ballons and took them outside to release them. This was while they disconnected Daniel from life support and placed him in his mothers arms to die. The messages in the ballons were sent to heaven for Daniel to catch when he arrived. Children should not have to suffer.

I know my writting of this may not show the emotion I feel, I'm just glad I could finish it before my tears shorted out my keyboard.

Oh, that is an awesome story!!! We are really fortunate to be able to be apart of other kids lives in this way!!

Barry Stratton
02-02-2007, 3:17 PM
Well, I'd heard a rumor today that someone from Conway, I think his name was Dennis Nochuck, no thats not right, it was Dennis Peacock, was selling his lathe (since he doesn't turn anymore) so he could really make some HIGH BIDS to win some of this artwork:eek:

I'm hurt!!!! He knows I'm looking for one for the new shop. I'd have given him a decent price.......Geez:mad:

Keith Burns
02-02-2007, 3:35 PM
Put your money where your mouth is Burns, I'm on it. ;)

Well Travis, I did bid a $1.49 on your piece but was outbid..............guess I'll have to go up another .50 cents or so.:eek:

Jonathon Spafford
02-02-2007, 4:41 PM
Well Travis, I did bid a $1.49 on your piece but was outbid..............guess I'll have to go up another .50 cents or so.:eek:

HA... you were outbid by me! I bid $1.63!

Keith Burns
02-02-2007, 5:09 PM
I ain't skeert... you wanna know what I'm biddin' on so you can see whose pockets are deeper, just lemme know...:D

All I can say is.......gumballs trump pennies:eek:

Andy Hoyt
02-02-2007, 5:21 PM
I gotta tell ya.

I am really having fun watching this from my side. If ya only knew:D:D:D

And ya never will.

Jonathon Spafford
02-02-2007, 9:27 PM
Just wanted everybody to know... that wand is no ordinary wand! It has a moxie dispenser on one end and an icecream dispenser at the other. It has to be worth at least $0.97 :D :D

Andy Hoyt
02-02-2007, 9:47 PM
Cool!

Be right back.

EDIT: So there. Beat that!

Jonathon Spafford
02-03-2007, 4:36 PM
When does the auction end??? I couldn't remember and I couldn't find it in the contest thread! (ok, I didn't look that hard :cool: )

Mark Cothren
02-03-2007, 4:45 PM
At 6 PM (East Coast Time) on Sunday, February 11th all bidding will be closed and the contest prizewinners will be announced.

Jonathon Spafford
02-03-2007, 4:52 PM
Ok... cool! Thanks!

Jim Ketron
02-03-2007, 10:25 PM
Lets go people!
Remember this is for fun and to raise money for the Saint Jude’s Children’s Research Hospital so dig deep and bid on some turnings.
This can help children that are sick and in need of all the help that we can give!

Barry Stratton
02-04-2007, 12:04 AM
Lets go people!
Remember this is for fun and to raise money for the Saint Jude’s Children’s Research Hospital so dig deep and bid on some turnings.
This can help children that are sick and in need of all the help that we can give!

Remember, this isn't EekBay where you try to get the lowest price possible. Don't sit back and plan on sniping at the end....bid now, bid often.

Jonathon Spafford
02-04-2007, 6:45 PM
C'mon everybody lets keep bidding... the point of the auction is to raise money for charity... the incentive is to get a nice turning (not the other way around ;))

Tom Sherman
02-05-2007, 5:31 PM
I just have to say that I am somewhat surprised with the auction, must be a lot of folks that are in the same boat as me financially challenged. But even with my limited stash of cash I still hold high bids on four or five items. There's still plenty of time jump in the waters fine.

Dennis Peacock
02-05-2007, 6:53 PM

So true....IF I could ever get away from the day job long enough. :(

Jonathon Spafford
02-07-2007, 2:44 PM
Lets see some more bids, folks... there are still plenty of cheap stuff on there for those that want to bid low. I would buy 'em all, but I ain't allowed to spend more than $22.37!

(And no, I ain't telling what I bidded on) :D

Nancy Laird
02-09-2007, 1:06 PM
I just want to say waht a great job Andy Hoyt is doing in "moderating" this on-line auction. Andy---you da man!!!!

Thank you

Nancy

Scott Donley
02-09-2007, 1:18 PM
I just want to say waht a great job Andy Hoyt is doing in "moderating" this on-line auction. Andy---you da man!!!!

Thank you

NancyI have to agree Nancy. He has done an outstanding job, from start, till the almost finish. Thanks Andy for all your efforts.;)

Ken Fitzgerald
02-09-2007, 1:23 PM
Yup....He's a pretty nice guy! If he just wasn't so hung up on Mayo.....:rolleyes:

Andy Hoyt
02-09-2007, 3:09 PM

Thank you

Nancy If you think salacious comments like this will get me to reconsider which bids to accept - not a chance in....

what was that item number again?:D

And don't forget to thank Mr. Donley since this whole thing was his idea.

Scott - I need your address so I can send you the invoice for my management fees.

Scott Donley
02-09-2007, 3:26 PM
Scott - I need your address so I can send you the invoice for my management fees.You mean the 20% off the top is not enough ? ( that's a joke folks :D )

Nancy Laird
02-10-2007, 7:28 PM
If you think salacious comments like this will get me to reconsider which bids to accept - not a chance in....

what was that item number again?:D

And don't forget to thank Mr. Donley since this whole thing was his idea.

Scott - I need your address so I can send you the invoice for my management fees.

Andy, you are right. Scott, thank you also for this fun and frolic we are having.

(you can send my "butter up" fee to ......) :D :D

Nancy

Jonathon Spafford
02-11-2007, 11:47 AM
No bids today??? Only 6 and a quarter hours left according to my calculation!

Nancy Laird
02-11-2007, 11:52 AM
Jonathan! Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

No more bidding - no more bidding - no more bidding (insert cheerleader here)

Nancy

Rob Bourgeois
02-11-2007, 3:16 PM
Jonathan! Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

No more bidding - no more bidding - no more bidding (insert cheerleader here)

Nancy

Unless you are joking I think you kinda missed the whole point in a charity auction. :rolleyes:

Nancy Laird
02-11-2007, 3:18 PM
Unless you are joking I think you kinda missed the whole point in a charity auction. :rolleyes:

Of course I was kidding! My checkbook is taking quite a hit on this auction, and since it's for St. Jude, I don't care. That's one of my annual charities anyway. The more the better.

Nancy

Ken Fitzgerald
02-11-2007, 3:19 PM
Rob...I'm sure Nancy's kidding!

Scott Donley
02-11-2007, 3:26 PM
Rob.... I know Nancy was kidding, just doing her part to get a few more bids for charity, Thanks Nancy

Scott Donley
02-11-2007, 3:38 PM
And while we are here, I know as FACT that Andy is sittin at his computer with a Moxie Float and nothing to do, so lets raise some bids and save him from drinking that awful stuff. :D

Jonathon Spafford
02-11-2007, 4:25 PM

She is just making sure that no one out bids her on all those hollow forms ;) :D

Kurt Rosenzweig
02-11-2007, 4:31 PM
I don't think he drinks it. I think he just soaks his feet in it after he comes in from snow blowing.:D

Andy Hoyt
02-11-2007, 4:37 PM
Travis stole my IV hook up, so now I've resorted to rubbing the stuff on my beer belly.

So far so good, and it does satisfy the docs rules about "drinking" Moxie.

And don't worry about Nancy. She's about to be broke. AMHIKT :D

You fellers wouldn't want that to happen would ya?

I hereby rename this auction. It's now the Save Nancy from Herself Challenge

Tom Sherman
02-11-2007, 4:41 PM
I have just decided that if I "win" anything in this auction I will take up drinking Moxie myself.

Keith Burns
02-11-2007, 4:55 PM
I have just decided that if I "win" anything in this auction I will take up drinking Moxie myself.

Say it ain't so Tom, say it ain't so..................

Tom Sherman
02-11-2007, 5:08 PM
Say it ain't so Tom, say it ain't so..................
Keith, my stragety is this look what a simple tase of Moxey has done for the likes of Mark Cothren, Jim Ketron and a few others. If it has magic like that I need all I can get. I may even start swilling it by the case.

Kurt Rosenzweig
02-11-2007, 5:13 PM
Back the Moxey truck up! BEEP...BEEP...BEEP!:D

Keith Burns
02-11-2007, 5:16 PM
Tom, I had the unfortunate opportunity to taste Moxie last summer. They immediately called 911 and off to the ER I went. I was fortunate in that they were able to pump my stomach before any permanent damage was done. They said another 2 oz. and 5 minutes and I would........well you get the idea.

Scott Donley
02-11-2007, 5:27 PM
I have been told that the only way on the NW coast to get an idea of what Moxie is like is to find a 20 year plus old wax container of A and W root beer that has a bit left in it. Add ice, that's Moxie

Nancy Laird
02-11-2007, 5:28 PM
And don't worry about Nancy. She's about to be broke. AMHIKT :D

You fellers wouldn't want that to happen would ya?

I hereby rename this auction. It's now the Save Nancy from Herself Challenge

Come on, guys. Give it your best shot!!! Trouble is, you don't know what I'm bidding on, and I know Andy isn't going to tell. Are you, Andy? :rolleyes:

Not broke, but won't be able to have those $20.00 lunches until after payday on Thursday!! :p ;)

Nancy

Nancy Laird
02-11-2007, 5:32 PM
By the way, Andy, just make sure your PM box is open and ready!!!

Nancy

Andy Hoyt
02-11-2007, 5:34 PM
Not to worry, I have a supersized PM Box.

Would you like ketchup with your bid?

Nancy Laird
02-11-2007, 5:37 PM
Nope, never touch the stuff - just good old New Mexico green chile. It's green, you know, and that with mustard are my two favorite colors.

Nancy

Ken Fitzgerald
02-11-2007, 5:38 PM
Nancy....I need you to point out the difference between chiles and okra to the LOML!:rolleyes: :D

Nancy Laird
02-11-2007, 5:46 PM
Nancy....I need you to point out the difference between chiles and okra to the LOML!:rolleyes: :D

Okra is a vegetable - most-often used in Cajun gumbo

Green chile is a pepper that can range from 1 to 10 in heat - and when they get ripe they turn red and get even hotter (to my mouth). Chopped green chile in scrambled eggs, on pizza, on a cheeseburger (yummm Heaven), in a burrito (preferably chicken). Much more versatile than okra.

Nancy

Ken Fitzgerald
02-11-2007, 5:52 PM
Normally our neighbors and dear friends plant both.....Last year they didn't plant okra. I recognize both. Early last October the neighbors were touring the NE and SE via travel trailers and RVs with a group of friends observing the fall foliage. I came home from work...My wife had harvested all the "okra" as we were supposed to get the first frost that night. I looked at her harvest and told her there wasn't any okra in the large grocery bag. I went and looked...there weren't any okra plants in their flower garden or vegetable garden. She thought I was "pulling her leg" so she called the neighbors on their cell phone. I'm nearly deaf but I could hear our neighbor Betty's loud guffaw when Sharon asked her what to do with all the okra she'd harvested!:D

Nancy Laird
02-11-2007, 5:55 PM
So what did you do with it???

Nancy

Ken Fitzgerald
02-11-2007, 5:59 PM
We had "poppers" of various flame levels for a couple of days......The neighbors had planted chiles from cold to "you ain't gonna eat these are you?"......the LOML stuffed them with cheese...rolled them in egg, corn flakes and cracker crumbs and baked them.

Tom Sherman
02-11-2007, 6:02 PM
I just told the LOML what I had committed to her reaction reminded of Ken. She just sat there looking down and shaking her head.

Nancy Laird
02-11-2007, 6:02 PM
Sounds like chile rellenos to me, and I could eat LOTS of those. We pay mucho dinero around here for good ones.

Nancy

Kurt Rosenzweig
02-11-2007, 6:03 PM
I guess it's result time!:D Was this fun or what!!!

Andy Hoyt
02-25-2007, 12:50 PM
Just so ya know ---- I'm unsticking the various contest threads.