PDA

View Full Version : A few small boxes

Perry Holbrook
02-02-2007, 12:42 PM
Some of you may know that I make small boxes for galleries. I've just completed this years new designs and a few of them are turned so I wanted to get some feedback.

Other than some spindle turning for furniture parts many years ago, I've not done much turning. As a matter of fact I just bought my first chuck for my Jet mini, some basic turning tools and a Wolverine jig to sharpen them. These are all mixed media boxes. The body of the box is wood, the top is glass, and most also have metal. They are flocked inside and are in the 4 to 5" size except for the 2 piece one which is about 9" tall.

The shapes are very basic since I'm just getting started in turning them. If you're interested, I posted a group shot of some of my other boxes over on the General page.

Any critique is welcome. Thanks, Perry.

Roger Fitzsimonds
02-02-2007, 1:00 PM
Wow Perry those are beautiful.

Roger

Steve Schlumpf
02-02-2007, 1:17 PM
Wow! Beautiful wood, forms & finish! Love the imagination!

Very nice work! Please post more often!

Bernie Weishapl
02-02-2007, 1:31 PM
Absolutely beautiful Perry. I love doing boxes and the form on these boxes are awesome. I would like to see more of your work.

Paul Engle
02-02-2007, 2:59 PM
Nice work Perry... Do you find the galleries like the mixed medium? Do you sell more of the mixed medium? I am preparing for a jury now for a March show and was considering mm but not sure about straying from my plan thru the summer craft show , I may have to consider it if your clientel enjoy these. let me know ( via PM) I still have 3 weeks to the next jury and might beable to get 2 or 3 done by then.I really like the wire treatment and the legs.....:D , not so sure about the chrome metal base tho, I might try some aged copper or something that can be tarnished maybe . Some of the artists here use a stone and wood mix and their designs look pretty good.Good Luck with your show!!!

Tom Sherman
02-02-2007, 4:50 PM
Perry those are some very nice boxes, I like the use of glass and metal Your combinations are very unique.

Perry Holbrook
02-02-2007, 4:51 PM
Thanks for the kind comments. I hope these turned ones do well, we'll see.

Paul, everything I do is mixed media. A lot of the galleries like it. But it is unusual enough that the most common question I get is, "what media do you do and who does the others?"

The one with the chrome ball for a knob actually has a spun pewter base. I'm learning to spin metal a little and that is as far as I have gotten so far.

Thanks again. Perry

Skip Spaulding
02-02-2007, 4:58 PM
Very nice Perry, I envy you guys with the artistic gene!