PDA

View Full Version : Rigid wall vac

Mark Singer
02-02-2007, 11:19 AM
Does anyone have this vacuum...it is $99 and has all 5 star reviews

Is it a good vac:confused: Or does it suck? That is an anti oximoron:confused:

http://www.ridgid.com/assets/thumbnail.asp?path=/ASSETS/2A865777AC49458987B6DCC39F837D13/WD5500_Stor_N_Go_Vac_web.jpg&key={CD886FE3-FA31-48EB-81D6-D2F1A82F43AE} (http://www.ridgid.com/ASSETS/2A865777AC49458987B6DCC39F837D13/WD5500_Stor_N_Go_Vac_web.jpg)

glenn bradley
02-02-2007, 11:33 AM
Not a specific response but I have used the heck out of my big Ridgid vac and it has never complained. Quite loud though.

Dave Sweeney
02-02-2007, 12:26 PM
I don't have this vac but you might want to check into the availability of point after the sale products. I seem to recall seeing that HEPA type filters or drywall bags aren't available for this vac. Could be a concern if you're planning to use it in conjunction with a ROS. IIRC, it also has an odd size hose which could also be a concern when hooking up to other tools. I do like the convience of it being out of the way hanging on the wall and the extra long hose.

Bill Weiher
02-02-2007, 12:33 PM
Couple of thoughts...

I have one of these and seems to work pretty well (probably depends on use).

In central Ohio, the HD has these on sale right now for $79.xx-ish.

The Consumer Reports I just got this week includes these wall-vacs in their ratings, the Rigid lunch-box as well. Says they are "OK".

FYI. Good luck.

Jack Ganssle
02-02-2007, 4:26 PM
No info on that unit but I recently got Rigid's 12 gallon shop vac. My wife's first comment was "It sure is quiet!" It sucks really well.

Jack

Jim W. White
02-02-2007, 4:39 PM
Mark,

Sorry, it's not the exact one your asking about, but in the same line...

I bought this one to keep on the vehicle side of the 3-car garage for my wife & kids to use. (so that she would stop getting out my bigger unit from underneath the workbench)

We've been happy with it so far. ....quite a lot of power for the size and it's easy to tote around.

Jim in Idaho

RIDGID
5 Peak HP Pro-Pac Wet/Dry Vacuum (http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/prodmeta/pg_prodmeta.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&cartCntKey=Power+Tools%2FWet-Dry+Vacs%2C+Dust+Collection%2FCorded+Wet%2FDry+Vac s&CNTKEY=Products_2%2FPower+Tools%2FWet-Dry+Vacs%2C+Dust+Collection%2FCorded+Wet-Dry+Vacs&ProductOID=754075&BV_SessionID=@@@@0495646929.1170452006@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccdgaddkdhdllkfcgelceffdfgidgki.0)
Model WD4550

$99.97

Lou Ferrarini
02-03-2007, 7:30 AM
I have one but it is mounted in the garage for the cars, not in the shop. It works fine for that purpose, but I would not use it as a primary vac in the shop. Has only a 1 1/2" hose (I think) and a small container.

Chris Barton
02-03-2007, 7:41 AM
Hi Mark,

I don't have that exact model (I have their biggest rolling vac) but, have owned two others that have worked very well as long as you are 1) willing to change filters frequently or, 2) buy disposable bags for the unit. I do the latter even though I find them to be a bit pricey. The bags will deliver vastly superior suction to the filters but, the downside is that they will fill up without you necessarily knowing it and can be difficult to remove from the canister.

Jim Dunn
02-03-2007, 8:54 AM
Mark, I don't know if your purchasing or not but, wall mounted units are a real space saver. You might want to look at a house unit. I've found that the whole house unit we have is great for "light" clean up. I say light because the canister on these units aren't very big. Also hoses are much better, more flexible and longer, up to 30', for less money.

Matt Meiser
02-03-2007, 10:08 AM
I also don't have that exact model, but we have a different Ridgid wall mount vac that we really like. Ours can easily be carried around to do a job in the house (I use it on the hardwood and linoleum floors to get the dog hair) and it came with enough hose to vacuum out the car parked next to it with no problems. I'd definitely buy it again.

Gary Lange
02-03-2007, 10:15 AM
I found this unit by searching around a little. It is a Shop Vac with 4.5hp, wall hung with attachments and 18' hose. It is 5 Gal. capacity this is a pretty good price to I think as some other sites were $109.00 and $114.00. It also uses the standard 1-1/4" hose and attachments.

http://www.mytoolstore.com/shopvac/hangup.html

You could also get this one at Lowes for about $60.00 that has a 3.5 Gal. capacity all attachments 4hp (peak) and 20' of hose.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=141554-20097-95201-11&lpage=none

Ed Garrett
02-03-2007, 8:33 PM
I have this exact vac. Go for it I say. I burned out two shop vacs (in spite of scrupulous filter cleaning) before giving this Rigid vac a try. I'm glad I made the jump to Rigid. The design seems better for motor cooling, it's got a bigger filter, it's plenty powerful, and more portable. Instead of hanging it on the wall I found that it has sockets on the bottom which accepted my old Shop Vac's casters. I find it more useful rolling around than stuck on the wall. The suction works better with the short more flexible hose than the long one. Only objection: The oddball hose diameter of 1-7/8 allows for few aftermarket attachements. I find that good quality accessories with horse hair brushes are best for sawdust. I found a PVC threaded fitting that allows conversion to 1-1/4 tools. My other recommendations: Horse hair dusting attachment from Eureka website and a horse hair floor brush from the Vac Depot (of Ft Worth) website. One more recommendation: Cleanstream hepa aftermarket filter. It filters and cleans up better. Happy vacuuming...