PDA

View Full Version : E-Bay Scam ?

Cliff Rohrabacher
02-02-2007, 10:02 AM
I just recieved an e-mail purportedly from a seller claiming he wasn't paid.
It had a "seller name and an ID number

Knowing every single thing I have done on e-bay I knew this was wrong. I went to E-bay and plugged in that user number as well as the name ang got nothing.

So I am left with the conclusion that this is a scam trying to intimidate e-bay users to part with money.

Mark Rios
02-02-2007, 10:55 AM
Go to ebay's scam/fraud page and send it/forward it to them. I get those once in a while. Yes it is a scam.

Jim O'Dell
02-02-2007, 11:19 AM
My partner here at work has several of these that showed up last night. Said they got his e-mail address, and somehow got his password for email, not sure about that though, and boght 7 items, all gold. People wanted payment. He's talked to E-bay and they have investigated it and are working on it. Trying to come up with a shipping address to see who is doing it. Jim.

Carson Saunders
02-02-2007, 11:36 AM
Just a phishing scam. I'm guessing there are links in the email that take you to a random page (that looks official) that asks you to enter sensitive information. Obviously don't to that. Just forward it to spoof "at" ebay "dot" com and they'll take care of it. I get about 10 of these a month.

Bruce Boone
02-02-2007, 12:13 PM
When a phishing scam comes up all you need to do to prove to yourself that it is indeed a fake is hover your mouse over the link that is invariably on the page to make it "easy" for you to respond. If you look, you'll see that the address it will actually take you to is completely different than the one that they have highlighted.

John Schreiber
02-02-2007, 12:26 PM
If you look, you'll see that the address it will actually take you to is completely different than the one that they have highlighted.
That's not fool proof. It is easy to have an address that looks very similar to the official one, but is part of the scam.

Adam Bauer
02-02-2007, 6:29 PM
Easiest way to see if its a scam is to open a new browser window and go directly to ebay (DO NOT click on the link in the email) and log into your accound. Go to your myebay section and see if there are any auctions listed that you havn't paid for. Additionally, you can just forward the email to spoof@ebay.com and they will reply (pretty quickly too) about weather or not the email is genuine.