PDA

View Full Version : Plywood cutting with a router - tips???

Jim Mackell
02-02-2007, 8:44 AM
My son has decided that I'm just the man to help him make a poker table. The plan calls for several pieces of plywood to have the ends rounded. Last night I began experimenting with my router and a compass template to cut the arcs. I was trying to go through the whole thickness in one pass and that made the router catch and grab and chatter. My bad.

When I get back to work tonight I know I need to take less depth at one time. Are there any other tips to routing pywood? Is my 1/2 inch straight cut preferred over my 1/4 inch straaight cut? What do you think?

If the project turns out half as well as we hope, I'll post some pictures when we're done.

Jim

David Wilson
02-02-2007, 8:55 AM
Jim
Your beest bet is to do the cuts with a bandsaw or saber saw. These cuts don't need to be pretty, just make shure they are on the waste side of the plywood. Then use your router to clean up the cuts.

Ralph Barhorst
02-02-2007, 8:57 AM
If you are cutting 3/4" plywood, you should be cutting no more than 1/4" per pass. I would use the 1/2" bit or even better a spiral bit.

glenn bradley
02-02-2007, 9:00 AM
If I understand correctly, you are cutting out the parts that will eventually create a round or sorta round poker top. If you have no jigsaw or like way to rough cut the arc as David suggests; smaller bit is better than larger bit. Remove 1/4" x 1/4" of material or less per pass. that is, 1/4" straight bit, 1/4" deep first cut MAX. then work your way down. I would make my first pass about 1/8" deep to just cut the veneer and first layer below for less tearout.

Joe Chritz
02-02-2007, 12:02 PM
I have made several and use a jigsaw and circular saw to cut the pieces. Once the "lip" is glued and screwed in place I use a flush trim bit to trim the edges.

Once over with a roundover bit and bam time for fabric. There the fun begins. :)

If you have questions or snags drop me a PM or email.

Joe

I would post a pic but I am having troubles and keep getting an error when I try.