PDA

View Full Version : Next Installment: Expanding Table Construction Blog

Rick Christopherson
02-02-2007, 4:45 AM
Much to my surprise, a lot of you have been following my construction blog for building my expanding round table. So I thought I would announce that I have uploaded the next page in the construction description.

In the new discussion I completed the radial lamination of the veneer for the pedestal. This is the longest page so far, but I think you will find it very interesting.

If you haven’t seen this discussion before, it is about building a radially expanding round table. It is very unique.

Expanding Round Table Construction Blog (http://waterfront-woods.home.att.net/Projects/RoundTable/TableBlog.html)

Hans Braul
02-02-2007, 7:36 AM
I'm not worthy

John Schreiber
02-02-2007, 9:20 AM
Whoa! That's some combination of woodworking and engineering. I'll keep following your progress.

Dennis O'Leary
02-22-2007, 12:53 AM
Really interesting Rick. I admire your 'can do' approach, and that you're achieving your results with your head mostly, as apposed to a big shed full of expensife 'professional' tools. Can't wait to see the laquer go on that top!

lou sansone
02-22-2007, 4:59 AM
fantastc work... quite the engineering challange. I can see why you would like it. nice looking table

lou

Noel Hegan
02-22-2007, 6:20 AM
Rick, amazing, simply amazing. Well done.

Jim Dunn
02-22-2007, 7:44 AM
One of the most thorough and thought provoking threads I've seen here. Way beyond my capabilities but fun to look at none the less. Primarily beyond my capabilities because of the postage stamp size shop I have. I really like your portable drill use.

Ron Brese
02-22-2007, 9:01 AM
It's amazing how many areas of expertise one must have to attempt a project such as this. I can't wait until he loads more pages.

Ron

Mike Cutler
02-22-2007, 10:44 AM
Fabulous work Rick.
The precision and detail removes that from being simply another piece of furniture.
Well done.

That was a heckuva gloat on the estate sale tools. Looks like a lot of nice quality stuff.

Mike Henderson
02-22-2007, 10:47 AM
Very interesting project and quite a challenge. Question: You mention that the gear box is expensive - was it custom made or is it some standard product that you adapted for your project?

Mike

Rick Christopherson
02-22-2007, 2:00 PM
Very interesting project and quite a challenge. Question: You mention that the gear box is expensive - was it custom made or is it some standard product that you adapted for your project?

MikeI forgot this posting even existed on SMC, so I was a little surprised when I saw the title. :eek: The gearbox is an off the shelf item, but the 40:1 ratio is not very common. The reason I went with this model was because of its compact size and I could fit it in under the substrate.

I have a long page of new information, but I have too many other things happening all at once.