PDA

View Full Version : Need to capture and recycle shop chemicals

Bob Pepple
02-01-2007, 11:26 PM
Hi All,

Need help on how to capture and recycle shop chemicals.
Trying to keep them out of the water drain system.

I currently have a plastic laundry tub in the shop and I am planning on replacing it with two separate stainless steel sinks. One long rectangular sink for water stuff and the other a small round sink for chemicals like, paint thinner, Xylene, gas, etc.... The chemicals will NOT go into the water drain system so I am looking for ideas on setting up ways to capture the chemicals in specific jars for that chemical.

I want to make the small round sink for cleaning paint brushes and parts.
My desire is to make this sink drain into PTFE or PFA plastic jars so I can recycle some of these chemicals.

Has anyone out there addressed the issue of capturing and recycling chemicals used in the shop? What approach did you use?

Any help would be appreciated.

Jamie Buxton
02-01-2007, 11:49 PM
I capture dirty solvents -- paint thinner, lacquer thinner, and denatured alcohol --- in a one-gallon plastic bucket with a tight-sealing lid (a drywall mud bucket). When the bucket gets full, I empty it into an empty solvent jug, screw the lid back on, and take it to the dump, which has a place for household toxics like these. At the rate I use solvents, this happens once every few years.