PDA

View Full Version : Madrone Burl w/ finial

Mark Cothren
02-01-2007, 11:16 PM
A small piece of madrone burl... 4" wide and 2-1/4" high... the collar piece on the lid is from madrone burl as well... the finial is from cherry... with the finial the piece stands 4-1/4" tall. Antique oil finish. All comments/feedback/suggestions/opinions welcomed.

Bernie Weishapl
02-01-2007, 11:30 PM
Mark that is a beauty. I love the lid with the finial. Nice job.

Joash Boyton
02-01-2007, 11:30 PM
This piece looks really nice...
If the black rim, was not present, it would be a rather bland comibination of timbers, even when bringing into consideration, the close complex assortment of knots, standard to a burl of this context..

The finial, has a soft touch, and fits perfect with this form, it is quite pleasing to the eye.

One critique, that I think, is important, is not to create a large fat bulge, in the actual body of the piece and then shoot immediately upright, with a finial, try to keep the contour of the curve circulating around, from the underneath, to the very top, and on to the finial, keep in mind the close proximities, when turning a piece of this size.

Nice work,
Joash

Neal Addy
02-02-2007, 12:06 AM
Mark, that is very elegant. I like the mix of woods and the finial really works well with the piece.

Very nice work.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-02-2007, 12:48 AM
Nicely done Mark! You've given us something to shoot for!

Barry Stratton
02-02-2007, 1:29 AM
WOW! I think its a great combo of woods, form, fit, and finish.....:D

What is the black stripe? Or are you taking dye lessons from Keith?

Jonathon Spafford
02-02-2007, 1:46 AM
Simply beautiful... now THAT is art! The combinations of wood is perfect. That black piece really ties everything together!

John Hart
02-02-2007, 5:49 AM
I'll have to dispute the young Mr Boyton....I think the flow of this piece is perfect. Your finial curvatures are a compliment to the entire piece and the form flows well from the tippy top...all the way to the bottom. Nicely done Mark!!!:)

Curt Fuller
02-02-2007, 7:10 AM
Mark, everything I've seen you do is incredible but this might be your best IMHO. Those woods compliment each other perfectly and the form is as good as they get. That's a beautiful turning!

Joash Boyton
02-02-2007, 7:13 AM
I'll have to dispute the young Mr Boyton....I think the flow of this piece is perfect. Your finial curvatures are a compliment to the entire piece and the form flows well from the tippy top...all the way to the bottom. Nicely done Mark!!!:)
JMHO:)

Nice piece;)

Mark Pruitt
02-02-2007, 7:52 AM
Mark, you've provided a great example of how multiple species can be combined without creating a "confused" look, which is probably what I would have ended up with. Everything about this piece looks "just right." I especially like the dark "ring" near the base of the finial (ebony?).

Keith Burns
02-02-2007, 8:10 AM
Excellent piece Mark !!! The finial fits and flows with the piece perfectly. Like was already said, this is art.:) :)

Pete Jordan
02-02-2007, 8:25 AM
Mark

I really like your proportions and color combinations. Everything seems to flow very well!

Mark Cothren
02-02-2007, 9:19 AM
Thanks all...

(ebony?).

I turned a groove on the join line for the finial and base and then filled with epoxy/charcoal. You'd have to look really close (and have better eyes than me) to tell what it is.

Steve Schlumpf
02-02-2007, 9:39 AM
Wow! Great form Mark! Really like the different colors that you have used - all work very well together. Love the form - the curve of the HF continues through the finial - very nicely done! Also, the use of charcoal really highlights the finial - great idea!

Travis Stinson
02-02-2007, 9:45 AM
Outstanding! Beautiful wood, looks like something you could buy in a store. :p
Great job all the way around.....contrasting colors, super curve/form from the base to the finial, well balanced with great details. Not too shabby. ;)

Mark Cothren
02-02-2007, 10:33 AM
This was the second top I turned for this piece. The original (shown below) had a straight finial. I showed it to a few guys on here and got some feedback, then turned a second top that I ended up posting with this piece. I'll also show you the suggestions that were made - pics attached.

Sorry - forgot to include the verbage that went along with the pictures...

"...the straight section of the finial kills the flow. Would look better to keep the curves going. Here's just a quick drawing going from what you have now, with maybe the bulb still needing to be a lil slimmer."

"I agree...and have added...I think a fat ball before the bulb to mimic the form might be a good idea."

The others who chimed in agreed with these suggestions.

Daniel Heine
02-02-2007, 10:38 AM
Mark,

That is one beautiful piece of art. I was at an all day demonstartion this past Saturday with Jimmy Clewes, and he put a very strong emphasis on form. The form of this turning is perfect. Georgous!!!

Dan Heine

Mark Pruitt
02-02-2007, 10:45 AM
I turned a groove on the join line for the finial and base and then filled with epoxy/charcoal.
Now THAT is a cool idea. I need to try that!

looks like something you could buy in a store. :p

Only a store that sells art, of course....:p :p

Tom Sherman
02-02-2007, 4:18 PM
Mark this is great I gotta admit I like the final finial best.

Skip Spaulding
02-02-2007, 5:32 PM
Don't know if thats Art or CRAFT, but it sure is NICE!!

Jim Ketron
02-02-2007, 6:18 PM
Awesome HF Mark!
Beautiful piece of wood you used, and the collar/Finial looks great!
Nice flowing curves throughout the piece that complement each other, outstanding piece.

Jim Becker
02-02-2007, 6:57 PM
Mark, that's a sweet one. Very nice job.

John Chandler
02-03-2007, 12:53 AM
You did a great job on that. And the wood looks nice, too.

Gary DeWitt
02-03-2007, 1:53 AM
Like it a lot! That's a clever way to smooth the transition between lid and finial.