PDA

View Full Version : How was this done ... I’m stumped

Brian Knodel
02-01-2007, 8:36 PM
Dimensions for this box are 5 inches high 4 ½ inches wide and 2 ½ deep. I have the legs figured out from help from one of the Canadian forms that I frequent. But I can’t figure out how the lid was made to fit this box and would appreciate any input. You can see the cut line where the lid was cut from the box … that fine, but then how was the lip on the box made that fits into the lid. As you can see, the grain matches perfectly on the outside of the box and the lid.

It was suggested to me that the box was made in this fashion and I quote:

From a squared blank, cut in from two opposite corners to the depth of the center piece then cut out the center. Lightly sand both pieces to remove the saw marks. The outside should now be in two pieces. When you glue it back together, the kerf should close up. If it doesn't, remove just a bit from the previously cut corners until the kerf is closed up. Cut the inside of the center piece to create the cavities and the bottom.

The order of the rest of the steps would be best left to guys like you who do this sort of thing.
Glue the outside together, cut the datos in the corners, cut the profile, cut the lid off, glue the center in so there is a lip for the lid, glue the top on.
If you wanted, you could first remove a slice from the top so that the lid looked like one solid piece.

Doing it this way would give you much better grain alignment on the outside then if you cut the lip with a router (that's the only other way I can think of to do that).

I’m not so sure it was done this way as I think and extremely visible glue line would show between the lip and the box and yet it’s the only method that makes sense. I would presume a scroll saw would have been used in the making of this box.

Thanks

Brian

Ken Fitzgerald
02-01-2007, 8:59 PM
Brian.....bandsaw and a router and template maybe?

John Piwaron
02-01-2007, 9:52 PM
I don't know for certain, but I once made some boxes where a similar lid/body joint was done by routing/dadoing a groove into the 4 sides prior to being glued up, then a groove was routed on the outside of the box, offset just enough, on all 4 sides to separate the lid from the box. It yielded a lid that had a "rabbet" that matched the "rabbet" on the body.

This one's curved, so I imagine it could be done in a similar manner only using a template to guide a rabbeting bit, or slot cutter.

Of course, maybe the lid and base were made separately from the get go. I'd be using templates in any case.

Dave Richards
02-01-2007, 10:27 PM
I'm only taking a stab but suppose you cut the shape with a bandsaw. Cut out the inside as sort of an offset. Cut another offset in. Cut the outside piece to create the lid and the bottom part of the box. Glue the taller ring back in and glue on a bottom. Glue the top on the upper outside ring. Maybe something like in my quickie drawing.

Jim Becker
02-01-2007, 10:46 PM
I believe that Dave is correct...or really, really, really close if not!

Brian Knodel
02-01-2007, 11:42 PM
Thank you all for taking the time … some great ideas and drawings. I never expected a diagram and the diagram makes it look doable. My head is aching from thinking about this so I’ll take your all ideas right now and run with them.

Thanks again I appreciate the help

Brian

Brian Dormer
02-02-2007, 1:55 PM
I agree with Dave also.

There's a show that I've seen a few times on PBS (American Woodworker, I think) that showed the construction of a chest of drawers for a dollhouse using a similar technique. The chest was also wavy/wobbly. The woodworking channel (google it - it's on the web) shows lots of the woodworking shows using streaming video - they probably run the segment I'm referring to.

If my memory is correct, the guy did the whole thing with nothing but a bandsaw.

glenn bradley
02-02-2007, 2:12 PM
I think the body was taller top to bottom to begin with, "Top" was cut off, bottom was rabbet'd on the outside, top was rabbet'd on the inside and the finished height is realized once the top is slipped on.

Okay, so I'm guessing.

Brian Knodel
02-02-2007, 4:34 PM
I think the body was taller top to bottom to begin with, "Top" was cut off, bottom was rabbet'd on the outside, top was rabbet'd on the inside and the finished height is realized once the top is slipped on.

Okay, so I'm guessing.
You may very well be right and I’m not disagreeing with you, but I would think that if your method was employed the grain would not match the way it does in the photo, your idea was the first thing that came to my mind also but then I had a closer look at the grain. I could still be way wrong.

Brian

glenn bradley
02-02-2007, 6:06 PM
Now I've got my Sherlock Holmes Pipe and Hat on . . . look at the grain pattern on the left end vertical side. Notice the break in the patern as if an inch or so has been removed at the joint between box and lid? Maybe, I'm not sure but it sure is fun to guess!

Brian Knodel
02-02-2007, 6:36 PM
Now I've got my Sherlock Holmes Pipe and Hat on . . . look at the grain pattern on the left end vertical side. Notice the break in the patern as if an inch or so has been removed at the joint between box and lid? Maybe, I'm not sure but it sure is fun to guess!
You’re onto something there Sherlock.:) I darkened up the photo and had another look. You’re right … something is missing, maybe not an inch but maybe the width of a band saw blade when he zipped the lid off.

Or the width of the band saw blade plus the height of the lip which you suggest may be one inch but in a small box like this I’d wager the lip is not much higher than ¼ which would make the grain match better.

In any event … Good detective work on your part, you pointed out something I didn’t see.

Brian

glenn bradley
02-02-2007, 8:02 PM
It was a team effort. Just give the Creeker's the scent and will pursue. We may end up lost, but we'll pursue! ;-)

Brian Knodel
02-04-2007, 2:48 PM
I don't know for certain, but I once made some boxes where a similar lid/body joint was done by routing/dadoing a groove into the 4 sides prior to being glued up, then a groove was routed on the outside of the box, offset just enough, on all 4 sides to separate the lid from the box. It yielded a lid that had a "rabbet" that matched the "rabbet" on the body.

This one's curved, so I imagine it could be done in a similar manner only using a template to guide a rabbeting bit, or slot cutter.

Of course, maybe the lid and base were made separately from the get go. I'd be using templates in any case.
I didn’t quite understand the methodology here, (I just couldn’t see cutting a grove in the outside of the box). Until someone kindly sent me PM with a diagram … It’s clear now.

There’s more than one way to skin a cat.

Thanks

Brian