PDA

View Full Version : Router table unterconstruction help

Roddy Thibault
02-01-2007, 8:16 PM
well im working on a router table for myself.and its coming along.
I have a few pictures of it and I would like to have some comments on it (good and bad).
is there any thing I should change on it? I have a JessEm Mast-R-Lift & pc 7518 to go with it.
http://community.webshots.com/user/rodthibault

thanks for taking a look

Bert Johansen
02-01-2007, 9:04 PM
Roddy, nice progress on your router table. Here are my observations.
1. The casters don't seem to be the locking variety, although it is hard to tell from the pictures. If not the locking type, the table is going to move when you push a piece past the spinning bit--a recipe for disaster. You will need to lock the table by either using locking casters or some other stopping mechanism.
2. Again, it is difficult to see from the photos, but you appear to be using a 15-amp electrical outlet for power, and a plastic cover. I suggest you replace this with a 20-amp outlet and a metal cover plate. A flying chip could easily break the plastic cover plate, and your 7518 will probably draw more than 15 amps on start-up. Also, be sure your wire is rated for 20 amps as well.
3. The switch is problematic for two reasons: you can easily brush up against it and inadvertently turn on power--a huge safety concern, for sure--and it is not the right switch for the job. I strongly suggest you upgrade the switch to a professional-grade router switch, and move the switch to the side of the table, where it will still be easily accessible but less prone to accidental activation.
4. You have provided a 4" air duct (good!), so I assume you will be using a powerful dust collection system. It won't work very well with only the small air intake from the space surrounding the router bit. You may want to consider a secondary air inlet to increase air flow through the lower chamber and out the exhaust system.
Good luck! Be sure to post pictures of your final product.

glenn bradley
02-01-2007, 9:43 PM
First off; looking good. Second, some comments from someone who's been there . . . I see your casters lock the wheels but not the rotation, that'll tick you off real soon. I'd buck-up for good casters.

Speaking as one who had a "well supported" table sag (I know it seems impossible but it happens) I would add a cross support just in front of and just behind the router plate opening. After my experience, I also doubled the 3/4" sides, supports and dividers with 2" strips at the top where the tabletop sits. It's dead space anyway, why not bulk up?

I also echo Bert on the switch. I use a big paddle but chose to leave it on the front for the old hip-shot-turn-off trick. You probably caught this thread which was way too long winded (sorry guys) but you can see the type of switch I mean.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=46933

Randal Stevenson
02-02-2007, 1:03 AM
well im working on a router table for myself.and its coming along.
I have a few pictures of it and I would like to have some comments on it (good and bad).
is there any thing I should change on it? I have a JessEm Mast-R-Lift & pc 7518 to go with it.
http://community.webshots.com/user/rodthibault

thanks for taking a look

Nice table, is that a Snap~On screwdriver in pic 3?

Tim Wagner
02-02-2007, 9:26 AM
is that a Snap~On screwdriver in pic 3?

hard to tell, looks more like a tiwanian from a assorted kit from the autoparts store. all my SO screwdrivers have a larger handel and are soft grips.