PDA

View Full Version : Lowering CFM on Fein Vac for Rotex Sander?

Randall Frey
02-01-2007, 7:50 PM
I am looking for a good buffer to rub out a finish. I thought, now here might be a good opportunity to bring home a Festool Product. Not only for a buffer but a good quality sander as well. I looked at the Rotex 125 and 150 FEQ (5" and 6"). As far as using it for a buffer, I think either would do, any pros and cons to that? As far as a sander, the Woodcraft guy explained, these sanders require a lower cfm from your dust collector vacuum because higher cfm will suck the sander down onto your work which may be a bad thing. The Festool vac has the option to be dialed down my Fein 220 does not. Has anyone experienced this issue? If it is an issue, can the Fein be slowed down or maybe an orifice be placed in the hose without compromising the vacuum? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

James Biddle
02-01-2007, 8:01 PM
If you have the floor attachments for the Fein, the handle has the slide on it that you can open to reduce the amount of suction. You might be able to take advantage of that with hose in, hose out.

Jim Becker
02-01-2007, 8:02 PM
Make an adapter to mount on the hose and then mount to the vac that you can put a hole in to bleed air. (Doing it at the vac keeps the noise from the bleed away from your hand)

John Miliunas
02-01-2007, 8:43 PM
Randall, I don't know which Fein you have but, I've got the Mini-Turbo. I also happen to have four different Festool sanders. (125, 150, the original Rotex and the RS-400). The only issue I've had is with the little 400. Like the guy said, too much suction. The simplest solution I've come up with is similar to what Jim explained, though I do that right at the sander. Fein has a rubber step-down adapter, which if you cut off two of the steps, holds the adapter right snug on the Festool sanders and the Fein hose. For the 400, I ended up drilling many holes to keep it from sticking to the work! :rolleyes: However, it does work, which in MHO, is what I was looking for. Go ahead...Buy the Festool! You will NOT regret it! BTW, an alternative source for the tool would be our own Bob Marino, who is a Festool ISA. Great guy to work with and he'll shoot you the straight scoop on anything Festool! :) :cool:

Jamie Buxton
02-01-2007, 9:11 PM
I for many years ran a Fein vacuum on a Festo 6" ROS. The vac is what is now called the Turbo II. It is true that the air pressure helps suck the sander to the workpiece, but not so much that it is a hinderance. In fact, I regard it as great help. I see no need to turn down the vacuum.

Terry Flowers
02-01-2007, 10:28 PM
I use the Fein Turbo II with the RO125. Sometimes the suction seems a bit excessive which may be why at times the the sander doesn't seem as smooth as I expected a Festool to be. However, I have no experience with other rotary type sanders. I kind of regret not replacing it with the ne RO150FEQ model. I have heard tht the 150 is smoother, and the larger pad would be nice, especially for buffing larger surfaces.

Terry

I would like to come up with a good approach to vary the suction on the Fein. Someone, somewhere suggested putting a y adapter in line, plugging the other end, and drilling holes to allow variable suction by taping over one or more holes. I don't know where to find such an adapter to fit the Fein hose.

Maybe I will eventually sell the Fein and buy a Festool vac.

Hoa Dinh
02-01-2007, 10:38 PM
I don't know where to find such an adapter to fit the Fein hose.

I always run the Mini Turbo at full suction with my ROTEX150. But you can find what you need in this list (http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/fein/mini-turbo-accessories.htm?L+coastest+zxbh8961ffe7efe7+117047 1710).

Y-Connector - PART#: 921086AA13

http://www.coastaltool.com/a/fein/images/3-way.jpg

Air Flow Handle - PART#: 921067A13

http://www.coastaltool.com/a/fein/images/air-floor-handle.jpg

Randall Frey
02-01-2007, 11:21 PM
Thanks guys. I have the Turbo ll vacuum, and I do have the air flow handle. So, it sounds like there might be way around this but will require creativity. What about a motor control to slow the speed down? is this how festool does it? If I can figure out a good solution and I am to buy one of these Festool beauties,
*What are the pro's & con's between the FEQ 125 and 150?
* Since my imediate need is more for a polisher than sander, has anyone used either one for polishing? Results?

I have see Bob Marinos name on this list before, I'll see if he reads this if not maybe I will repost
Thanks all

JayStPeter
02-02-2007, 8:58 AM
You may want to see if it's actually a problem before expending a lot of effort on it. It looks like there are some reasonable solutions here, but I have an ETS150 that I use with my Fein and have absolutely no problems, even with the super fine grits sanding out finishes (I have used up to 1200 grit). IIRC, most of the time I've heard about this issue it's been with the smaller sander (ES125). I got a Festool hose that I use on my Fein, but no suction control.

Joe Jensen
02-02-2007, 9:24 AM
As far as a sander, the Woodcraft guy explained, these sanders require a lower cfm from your dust collector vacuum because higher cfm will suck the sander down onto your work which may be a bad thing. The Festool vac has the option to be dialed down my Fein 220 does not. Has anyone experienced this issue? If it is an issue, can the Fein be slowed down or maybe an orifice be placed in the hose without compromising the vacuum? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I have a very powerful WAP drywaller vac with no "dial down" settings and I had had read and been told the same thing. I have 4 Festool sanders and I don't even notice an issue. I suggest trying it first, and then if it's an issue, make the adaptor part described in a post above...joe

Noah Katz
02-02-2007, 4:40 PM
Sears has a vacuum handle with an adjust bleed port; I got one for my Turbo III and it fits, as do their other accessories.

Bob Marino
02-02-2007, 5:18 PM
Randall,

I would do as Jay and Joe suggest - see if it's an issue first. Generally, on the 6" sanders it isn't an issue at all. Sometimes when using the ES 125 ros, and the RS and DS 400's (essentially, 1/4 sheet sanders) this can be an issue - lots of suction on a small pad.

My personal preference is is for Festool's 6" sanders - covers more area and are smoother than the 5"s.

Bob