PDA

View Full Version : Milling flooring - shaper or router table?

Matt King
02-01-2007, 7:22 PM
Hi - I'm wanting to mill about 500 sq ft of black walnut into random width flooring. I'm wondering which would be the better investment - a good sized router and a saw table router table (PC 7518 and a Rockler type table) or a smallish shaper (like the Grizzly G1035 or Jet JWS-18HO).

I understand that I'll need a set of bits or cutters as well. I have a good source for the wood (at least I *think* $4BF is good) and I think I would enjoy the process.

I'd sure appreciate some direction and suggestions before I dive off the deep end!

Thanks,

Matt

Jim Flynn
02-01-2007, 7:49 PM
Matt, This is a pretty good size understaking in my opinion for a router table setup. I would go with a good size shaper, ideally like a 1 1/4" diameter spindle and a power feeder.

Jim

Per Swenson
02-01-2007, 7:52 PM
Matt,

How ya doing.

The important cut in flooring is not so much the tounge and groove,

but the back cut.

With out , your floor may not come out flat.

If this is a one off Job, you could easily hand cut the T/G with a

hand held router, then dado the backs any way you are comfortable

or equipped.

Me....Woodmaster.

Per

Reg Mitchell
02-01-2007, 8:31 PM
Hi Matt. A shaper will be a big investment and then theres cutters too. If you will be using it with other projects later that will be fine but still there will be more cutters to buy. Ifthis is a one time shot at flooring in your home it might be cheeper to take it to a shop that is willing to run them for you at a fraction of the price for the setup you are talking about.
Just something to think about. .....I pulling for the shaper. :D
Reg

Joe Chritz
02-01-2007, 10:13 PM
Not sure where you are at but paying a shop to do it with a moulder is probably best.

If you want the satisfaction of doing it yourself and getting a new tool then a decent shaper with small powerfeeder would be the ticket.

Joe

Tom Jones III
02-02-2007, 9:12 AM
The important cut in flooring is not so much the tounge and groove,
but the back cut.
With out , your floor may not come out flat.

Are there any rules of thumb for how many / how deep for the back cuts?

Ron Brese
02-02-2007, 9:18 AM
Matt do you have a table saw for ripping and some way if straighting the edges?

Ron

Rod Sheridan
02-02-2007, 9:53 AM
Hi Mat, you are probably going to have to make in the order of 3,000 to 3,500 linear feet of flooring, depending upon the width of the pieces.

The wood will have to be jointed, planed, ripped then the edge treatment of tongue and groove/jointing on the shaper, followed by back cutting on the shaper or tablesaw.

It's a lot of work, requires several cutters for the shaper and a power feeder for the shaper and tablesaw. ( I know, you can push it all by hand, however when you're at the 2,675 foot piece and half asleep, that's when you push your fingers into the cutter).

However, having made some myself, I didn't save any money, the sawmill that I deal with produces it for less money than I can buy the wood and cutters for. It was fun however, and I got exactly what I needed, which was to match some old existing flooring.

Regards, Rod.

Regards, Rod.

Matt King
02-02-2007, 11:28 PM
Hey y'all - thanks for the many great replies.
Reg, I'm kinda leaing towards the shaper too - that big Grizzly bandsaw needs more company! :)
Joe - I hadn't considered a local shop. I'll look into that.
Jim - I'd like to have the funds to back up a 1 1/4" spindle shaper but that's looking pretty unlikely right about now! :eek:
Per - Per's thinking like my "now let's be reasonable about this - there's no new tools needed here..." 'restrained self' thinks....:rolleyes:
Joe - Joe brings up once again the need for a powerfeeder.... don't think I can continue to ignore that.
Tom - Tom asks a question that has entered my mind as well.
Ron - Ron's inquiry frightens me with its' brevity. :p
Rod - gotta go and put some metrics on this thing and get all rational do ya, eh??? ~BIG OLE GRIN~ Sounds like Rod has nailed this down for me. This is a *lot* of work and could almost certainly save money, effort and time milling a pretty dang big stack of wood several times. That said, however, I *want* to do this myself and am willing to ante up the time as well as the funds for a smallish shaper and small feeder.

I think I'm pretty set on a shaper and power feeder. Now, can we narrow that down to some current model imports and keep my budget intact (under a grand, please including the T&G cutters and the molding head/backcutters) or should I seriously lean towards some old iron instead? Anybody have suggestions, ideas, or items for sale?

Thanks again, y'all - you've been most helpful!

Take care,

Matt