PDA

View Full Version : Shop Tour

Jay Brewer
02-01-2007, 6:44 PM
Hi everyone, its been cold and rainy here so I thought I would clean up my shop today and take a couple of pics, its basically half of the full basement, the back half of the basement is finished off but its dated and never used, so before to long im going to take over the whole thing, theres a 12 x 25 den w/a full bath that will become my spray booth, and a 14 x 20 bedroom, after knocking a wall down will become my assembly room.

The saw, shaper and wide belt are my most used tools by far, so they are arranged in the middle of the shop,with no obstructions to the feed directions the saw basically gets its own bay with no other tools in the way, by taking the outrigger off the saw, I get a fairly large assembly area.

This is a shot from the garage door looking in, also the outfeed table for the saw holds all of the shaper accessories

This is the other bay, I arranged the tools against the wall because they dont get used as much and the widebelt takes up alot of the this bay

I buy all my lumber 2S2 so the planer is probably the least used tool in my shop so I put it on a hydraulic lift table to keep it out of the way, you may also notice there is no jointer, I do all the straight line ripping on the slider

Thanks for looking

Darrin Davis
02-01-2007, 7:05 PM
If you ever get tired of that little drum sander I'll take it! Great Shop!

Bruce Page
02-01-2007, 7:09 PM
Be still my heart!

Nice shop, nice equipment, thanks for the tour.

Brian Hale
02-01-2007, 7:12 PM
Nice shop Jay but it's awful clean! :rolleyes:

Brian :)

Mmmmmmmm Bridgewood :cool:

Corey Hallagan
02-01-2007, 7:21 PM
Wow very cool. Do you run a business out off the shop? Thanks for the look see!

Corey

Jim Becker
02-01-2007, 8:09 PM
Jay, nice job arranging your machines to keep your movements between them simple as well as make DC, etc., easier.

John Miliunas
02-01-2007, 8:34 PM
'Scuse me whilst I pick my tongue back up off the keyboard! :p Whew...That's one dandy shop you have there, Jay! 1st class equipment and laid out very logically. I like it...A LOT! :D :cool:

lou sansone
02-01-2007, 9:04 PM
great shop and very nice equipment... how do you like the slider ? I personally like separates like you have, but many seem to like the saw shaper combo.. what made you go with separates ?

Lou

Jay Brewer
02-01-2007, 9:28 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind words, Its not the greatest setup but I try to make the best of it, I still have a long way to go but I am proud of what I have. I came from very humble beginnings at the age of 13 building bird house for the neighbors with a circular saw mounted upside down to a piece of plywood.

Corey : I do custom cabinets on a part time basis, I have a full time job that I wanted to quit in a year or two and build full time, but just found out my wife is pregnant with our first kid, SO guess I will have a job for a little longer.

Lou : you have a much nicer space than me, so thanks for the complements, I love my separates, a little more expensive than a combo but well worth it, I have a part time employee so separates work much better, thanks again

Dave Ray
02-01-2007, 9:40 PM
Great looking shop Jay. I like your plans for the future also. Thanks for the tour.

glenn bradley
02-01-2007, 9:54 PM
I'm greeeeeen! That is looking very nice. Great space and room to grow.

Ron Brese
02-01-2007, 9:58 PM
Dude! You got some major tools in that place!!

Ron

Tyler Howell
02-01-2007, 10:51 PM
Wow Jay Great shop. A little help here:confused:
What is the orange device on the roller cabinet:confused: Mortising tool??
Thanks for sharing.

Frank Snyder
02-01-2007, 10:57 PM
Tyler - I think that the orange thing is Blum's hinge drilling tool (Minipress?)...you can check out Blum's website under "assembly aids" for more details.

Scot Ferraro
02-02-2007, 12:57 AM
Great looking job -- clean, organized and awesome equipment. Thanks for posting!

Todd Solomon
02-02-2007, 1:58 AM
Hi everyone, its been cold and rainy here so I thought I would clean up my shop today and take a couple of pics, its basically half of the full basement, the back half of the basement is finished off but its dated and never used, so before to long im going to take over the whole thing, theres a 12 x 25 den w/a full bath that will become my spray booth, and a 14 x 20 bedroom, after knocking a wall down will become my assembly room.

The saw, shaper and wide belt are my most used tools by far, so they are arranged in the middle of the shop,with no obstructions to the feed directions the saw basically gets its own bay with no other tools in the way, by taking the outrigger off the saw, I get a fairly large assembly area.

This is a shot from the garage door looking in, also the outfeed table for the saw holds all of the shaper accessories

This is the other bay, I arranged the tools against the wall because they dont get used as much and the widebelt takes up alot of the this bay
I buy all my lumber 2S2 so the planer is probably the least used tool in my shop so I put it on a hydraulic lift table to keep it out of the way, you may also notice there is no jointer, I do all the straight line ripping on the slider

Thanks for looking

Hi Jay,

Terrific shop, and nice equipment. Have you had a chance to put that monster shaper through it's paces yet?

I was surprised to see that you don't have a jointer. I can't, for the life of me, figure out how I would get by without one. I'm lucky if the surfaced lumber that I buy will stay sufficiently flat to not require a jointer and planer, to prevent misalignments during assembly. My jointer and planer get as much workout as my table saw, it seems.

I too dedicated a full bay to my slider, and boy is it nice to have the extra room, especially when the outrigger is removed. It's positioned adjacent to my workbench, where I spend most of my time.

I am curious what your plans are for your finishing room. I'm in the process of planning one myself, and am about to break ground. I want to be able to shoot solvent-based finishes, but will mostly shoot waterborne. It's going to be 8' wide x 7' high x 7' deep. I wish I had more room, but this should suffice. I'm using a 20" variable speed Jenny explosion-proof fan and motor, with shutters, mounted to the side of my shop. I got dual 4' wide filter doors, which give me a 7' x 8' filtered intake. I'm building a 2' thick plenum on the opposite wall, and will have a 7' x 8' exhaust filter wall. I found some sealed wet-location flourescent fixtures for lighting on close-out. They're substantially cheaper than true explosion-proof lights, and I think will be sufficiently safe. I should have enough airflow that my HVLP fumes shouldn't be an issue at all. It's a far cry cheaper than buying a booth, but it's ending up to be a lot more expensive than I had hoped. I can't wait to be able to stop fighting dust and bug nibs, and speed up my finishing times dramatically. Oh yeah, it's not to code either. But I figure it's a lot better than spraying in my garage or driveway.

Todd

Seth Poorman
02-02-2007, 2:27 AM
Hey Jay thats my power feeder ,did you steal mine!!:D
Nice shop !!! :)

Jay Brewer
02-02-2007, 7:33 AM
Hi Jay,

Terrific shop, and nice equipment. Have you had a chance to put that monster shaper through it's paces yet?

I was surprised to see that you don't have a jointer. I can't, for the life of me, figure out how I would get by without one. I'm lucky if the surfaced lumber that I buy will stay sufficiently flat to not require a jointer and planer, to prevent misalignments during assembly. My jointer and planer get as much workout as my table saw, it seems.

I too dedicated a full bay to my slider, and boy is it nice to have the extra room, especially when the outrigger is removed. It's positioned adjacent to my workbench, where I spend most of my time.

I am curious what your plans are for your finishing room. I'm in the process of planning one myself, and am about to break ground. I want to be able to shoot solvent-based finishes, but will mostly shoot waterborne. It's going to be 8' wide x 7' high x 7' deep. I wish I had more room, but this should suffice. I'm using a 20" variable speed Jenny explosion-proof fan and motor, with shutters, mounted to the side of my shop. I got dual 4' wide filter doors, which give me a 7' x 8' filtered intake. I'm building a 2' thick plenum on the opposite wall, and will have a 7' x 8' exhaust filter wall. I found some sealed wet-location flourescent fixtures for lighting on close-out. They're substantially cheaper than true explosion-proof lights, and I think will be sufficiently safe. I should have enough airflow that my HVLP fumes shouldn't be an issue at all. It's a far cry cheaper than buying a booth, but it's ending up to be a lot more expensive than I had hoped. I can't wait to be able to stop fighting dust and bug nibs, and speed up my finishing times dramatically. Oh yeah, it's not to code either. But I figure it's a lot better than spraying in my garage or driveway.

Todd

Hi Todd, I use the shaper alot, absolutely love it, its nice to do the raised panels in a single pass. I get asked about not having a jointer alot, and basically have never really needed one, my lumber supplier does a nice job with the lumber, if I do get a slightly cupped board, I can flatten it on the wide belt or it gets ripped into smaller pieces, and used for rail and stile parts or face frames. I think straight lining on the slider is easier, faster and actually better results than w/a jointer, especially long or heavy pieces.

As far as the spray booth, it sounds like you are going to have a nice setup. Right now I have to do my finishing were the slider is, I cover the tools with blankets and use cheap shower curtains hung from the ceiling for the booth, ( I know its quite comical ) so all the building has to stop for me to do the finishing, its becoming a real pain and will soon be turning the den into a booth. I only spray water base, so im not as concerned with the fumes, only the overspray,so was trying to come up with a way to filter back into the shop instead of outside so im not sucking all the heat out of the shop. I am not sure if this would cause to much air movement in the shop or not. Just having a separate room w/no filtration would be better than what I have now, at least I could keep building in between coats. Thanks for the questions

Mark Singer
02-02-2007, 8:41 AM
woooooo! Nice! Great stuff and nice space to work in!

Mike Wilkins
02-02-2007, 10:28 AM
Cool set-up with the placement of the machinery. Like most of us, we are constantly tinkering with the layout of our shops. Don't hear from many North Carolinians around here. I have some kin folk just north of you in Madison.
Stay safe and watch those fingers.

David Cramer
02-02-2007, 3:07 PM
Great shop Jay!! I love that planer set-up, very unique. I sure wish I had that space, not to mention the machinery that you've filled that space up with. Excellent and motivating.

Dave

Dave Shively
02-02-2007, 3:31 PM
Jay,

Very impressive looking shop! Got any more pictures with other views?

Dave

Ben Abate
05-14-2008, 10:18 AM
Jay,

I sent you a pm, I'll be talking to you

Ben

John Thompson
05-14-2008, 1:36 PM
Nice set-up and spacious. I can remember saying that to myself once. The spacious just seems to dis-appear with time. Enjoy the spacious while you can.

Again.. very, very nice.

Sarge..