PDA

View Full Version : A Big Box Balances Before The Shop Door

Jim Becker
02-01-2007, 5:56 PM
So I was planning on heading to the freight terminal tomorrow (Friday) to pick up a large 1600 lb pallet/crate :), but with impending bad weather, I rearranged things so I could head down after lunch today. I really didn't want to be pulling a trailer when there was "mixed precipitation" falling and wind. So here are a few pictures...more after Saturday's 'De-palletization Party"...;)

It's nice having long forks for a long box...

Well...it fits...

Bumps were no fun, but the journey was successful...

Ready for some "mixed precipitation"....

Howie French
02-01-2007, 6:14 PM
Congratulations Jim on a safe journey so far.... only a few more feet.
Looks like it should slide right off, then a simple push in.

Can't wait to see pics

Howie

Bruce Page
02-01-2007, 6:18 PM
Cool trailer Jim. :D

I’m looking forward to the next installment!

Ted Shrader
02-01-2007, 6:23 PM
Jim -

Very cool. I hope the mixed precipitation amounts to nothing more than we got here. A mere inconvenience.

Congrats and get it under a tarp for now.

Regards,
Ted

Jim Becker
02-01-2007, 6:30 PM
Looks like it should slide right off, then a simple push in.
Howie, it's a tilt-bed trailer, so we'll open the doors and get the back end of it actually inside the shop so that the pallet ends up on the shop floor. I wouldn't want to try and move it on the 3/4" stone driveway...it's way too heavy for my tractor...by a thousand pounds or so. Part of the trick is to insure there is a controlled slide, so a come-along is waiting in the wings. I'm thinking of using the tractor to insure that the bed doesn't tilt too quickly. My Highlander will be hooked back up to the trailer, too, before we tilt it for safety.

At any rate, Joanne, Fred, Chris and Robert are lined up to assist and I have a pallet jack rental "on order" for the day. Unfortunately, the rental place no longer allows Saturday rentals to fold over to Monday morning, so I have to have it back by 4pm to avoid a second day's charge. I'm not happy about that...

Per Swenson
02-01-2007, 6:30 PM
OOOOOHH-OOOOOOH Whats in the box?

You are a more patient man then I.

Put it off till Saturday?

No way.

No work.
No food.
No Friends.
No Tee Bee.
No kids, cats, dogs or hamsters.

Just the instruction manual and quiet.

And I would be done.

Congrats Jim.

Per

Jim Becker
02-01-2007, 6:35 PM
I hear you, Per, but I got about 6 hours of conference calls tomorrow and no way would I attempt to unload it myself. So I wait. If you want a break from your Domino and feel strong...send me a PM...

Alfred Clem
02-01-2007, 6:45 PM
Let's guess what is in the big box. I can read the words "from Italy" on the carton. Now what would that be?

1. Sophia Loren and all her family.
2. Enough spaghetti for a lifetime...a very, very long lifetime.
3. A very special machine that saws, joins, knits, purls, and whistles.

Your guess?

Ken Fitzgerald
02-01-2007, 6:54 PM
I'm putting my money on option #3 Alfred!

Congrats Jim and keep those photos coming!

Don Bullock
02-01-2007, 7:08 PM
Let's guess what is in the big box. I can read the words "from Italy" on the carton. Now what would that be?

Your guess?

If it's that BIG it better do something.:eek: Congratulations Jim on the new addition to your family.;) Thanks for the pictures -- We can tell there's really a "tool" there or you bought a BIG box.

Brian Hale
02-01-2007, 7:08 PM
Congrats Jim! I know you've waiting a long time for this.

If it was me, i'd have backed the tralier in, wrapped a chain around the pallet and secured to something in the shop and pulled that trailer out from under it. Heck, i'd be up to my elbows in grease and paper towels by now.

You guys wouldn't have seen the pics till Sunday. Maybe ;)

Brian :)

Jim Becker
02-01-2007, 7:58 PM
Italian air? :p

Interesting idea, but the girls are already expensive enough to feed and clothe...:eek:

I don't even want to think about 1600 lbs of spaghetti...especially after just cooking & eating left-over angel-hair with some eggplant parm... :o

One of those functions...;)...and it isn't whistling... :D

John Schreiber
02-01-2007, 9:09 PM
It must feel like you are sitting around the tree waiting for permission from Dad to open your stockings. Heck, I'm excited for you.

Gary Herrmann
02-01-2007, 9:40 PM
Ya big tease, open it already!

Ron Brese
02-01-2007, 9:47 PM
The suspense is killing us Jim.

Ron

Jim Becker
02-01-2007, 9:50 PM
It's NOT a Domino... :D :D :D

Jim O'Dell
02-01-2007, 9:54 PM
CONGRATS Jim! I think I'd have found a way to get the whole trailer inside if I could. If not the shop, then the garage, and LOML's van would sit outside (with my van of course)!! It's good that you've got some more strong arms coming to help you man-handle that beast. Work safely Saturday, be careful, and then use it in good health!
Now, what species of wood are you going to christen it with?????:cool: Jim.

Jim Becker
02-01-2007, 9:58 PM
Doors are only 6' wide minus a couple inches so I can't get the wheels inside, Jim. (5' x 8' trailer plus wheel width) But I can get the back of the trailer inside such that when the bed is tilted, it will be resting on the concrete. No way I could manuver it into the one garage bay...too hard to back up around corners and there is a pile of 3/4" washed stone in the way. Oh, and there is a tractor plus all the lawn and garden stuff in the way "down there", too. It's tarped for the weather and will be just fine.

Oh, as to the first species...cherry, of course. :) Although trials, testing, alignment and so forth will likely involve MDF and plywood.

Corvin Alstot
02-01-2007, 10:14 PM
Jim/
Give us a hint, is it similar to the attachment. . . although none of it
weights 1600lbs so I am just shooting from the hip.

Exciting stuff, it should be interesting to see your next project!

Pete Brown
02-01-2007, 10:20 PM
Jim/
Give us a hint, is it similar to the attachment. . . although none of it
weights 1600lbs so I am just shooting from the hip.Exciting stuff, it should be interesting to see your next project!

This is my guess:

http://www.minimax-usa.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage_norm&product_id=50&category_id=24&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26

Corvin Alstot
02-01-2007, 10:26 PM
This is my guess:

http://www.minimax-usa.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage_norm&product_id=50&category_id=24&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26

I thought that too, but its a little over the weight (unless Jim has one on a diet).

Mark Densmore
02-01-2007, 10:33 PM
Looks like a big Hammer

Mark Densmore
02-01-2007, 10:43 PM
Ok Jim the hints in the file names of the pictures kind of narrows it down I would say the winner is Pete brown does he get the big box? (empty of course.

Jim Becker
02-01-2007, 10:43 PM
Give us a hint, is it similar to the attachment. . . although none of it weights 1600lbs so I am just shooting from the hip.

You're hip is pointed in the right direction...at least relative to the source

This is my guess:

Well...Pete wins the "prize"...indeed it is one of those. I've been saving for a couple years for this and the year-end promotion sealed the deal. I have a lot of cabinetry and furniture to build for the addition, so I'll have plenty of opportunity to learn how to use it.

So...here's what the shop is going to be looking like once I and my merry friends get that sucker off the pallet and in place:

Jake Helmboldt
02-01-2007, 10:56 PM
It actually is supposed to have a decimal place and it is really just a 16.00 pound cardboard box. I'm stickin' to it until Jim can prove me wrong!;)

JH

Pete Brown
02-01-2007, 11:05 PM
Well...Pete wins the "prize"...indeed it is one of those.

If the "prize" weighs about 1600 pounds, I'll swing by to pick it up this weekend. Heck, I'll even buy the trailer it's on ;-)

Pete

Pete Brown
02-01-2007, 11:06 PM
BTW, congrats on getting a great machine. I need to make some more room out back (pesky trees in the way) so I can get one of those some day :)

Pete

Ed Kowaski
02-01-2007, 11:12 PM
I know you've been waiting for this for sometime... Congrats Jim!
(guesss315)

John Russell
02-01-2007, 11:16 PM
Year end sale --- nice work Jim

Dan Forman
02-02-2007, 12:24 AM
Jim---Congrats on the nice new saw, hope all goes well over the weekend.

Dan

Wayne Watling
02-02-2007, 12:45 AM
Man you are going to love that slider. Congrats Jim and enjoy your new and well earned tool. I think you have just a little bit more ww experience than I so I'm really looking forward to some feedback and tips on how you go about getting the most out of it and different ways of using the slider.

Have fun :)
Wayne

Rick Bullick
02-02-2007, 12:46 AM
I bet it's a large leg lamp.

"Fra-gee-lay. Sounds Italian..."

Al Navas
02-02-2007, 1:33 AM
That new slider will be a great addition to the shop! I look forward to the photos of the unpacking and installation, Jim.

Richard Wolf
02-02-2007, 8:12 AM
Great new tool, use it well.

Richard

Mike Weaver
02-02-2007, 8:24 AM
Congrats Jim!

I sure do like living vicariously through you.

Please be safe unloading that beast - an hour "saved" isn't worth anyone getting hurt, although I'm sure Dr. SWMBO will ensure you'll take it slow. :D

-Mike

Jason Roehl
02-02-2007, 8:25 AM

Don't shoot yer eye out, Jim! Congrats and don't hurt yourself or your helpers.

James Carmichael
02-02-2007, 9:06 AM
That must be the slider.

A 1600 lb payload should ride fine in the wind;)

Jim Becker
02-02-2007, 10:06 AM
A 1600 lb payload should ride fine in the wind

True...as long as the load is balanced correctly (dubious this time around) and the driver is experienced with towing...(not!) So, I chose to pull it yesterday when things were calmer. 'Better safe and all that...

As it turns out...the storm missed us entirely. But it's gonna be chilly (about freezing) during the "de-palletization party" and even colder for the rest of the weekend and most of next week. Thankfully, I have a nice Itallian espresso machine that makes very nice lattés...:D

Mike Wilkins
02-02-2007, 10:13 AM
I think you made a wrong turn in PA. You were supposed to head south from the freight terminal with a destination in eastern NC.
Congrats on the newest addition to the shop family. I'm sure that Italian beauty will get along fine with her roommates.

Frank Snyder
02-02-2007, 10:21 AM
Super gloat, Jim! Like everyone else, I would be half-way into that box already trying to figure out how to put it together.

Thankfully, I have a nice Itallian espresso machine that makes very nice lattés...:D

Didn't Minimax give you a free one with your purchase? ;)

What is the max load capacity of that little trailer anyway?

Jim Becker
02-02-2007, 10:39 AM
Didn't Minimax give you a free one with your purchase?

No...bought it awhile ago from Chris' Coffee Service (http://www.chriscoffee.com/products/home/espresso) after burning up a couple of cheaper, consumer versions. Andreja Premium. At the time, it was the only model; they now have several. 'Highly recommend these folks...great customer service.

What is the max load capacity of that little trailer anyway?

2600 lbs GVR; 2100 lbs payload. 5'x8' Loadrite Utility (http://www.loadrite.com/Utility_Trailers/21/) built not far from here. All galvanized, rather than painted.

Keith Starosta
02-02-2007, 11:14 AM
Very cool, Jim!! Sorry I couldn't make the trip to lend another set of hands to the operation.

Be safe, and have fun!!! Can't wait to see the pics!

- Keith

Frank Snyder
02-02-2007, 11:16 AM
No...bought it awhile ago from Chris' Coffee Service (http://www.chriscoffee.com/products/home/espresso) after burning up a couple of cheaper, consumer versions. Andreja Premium. At the time, it was the only model; they now have several. 'Highly recommend these folks...great customer service.
That's a NICE espresso machine. It deserves it's own gloat. I bet it makes fine cup of java. I'd consider making the trip out to Pennsylvania just for the coffee :D.

2600 lbs GVR; 2100 lbs payload. 5'x8' Loadrite Utility (http://www.loadrite.com/Utility_Trailers/21/) built not far from here. All galvanized, rather than painted.

That's a really nice little trailer with a decent load capacity. Perfect size. I tried finding one a while back, but they were either too big or couldn't handle more than 1200 lbs.

Bob Michaels
02-02-2007, 11:22 AM
Jim, best of luck on your new arrival. I am also interested in your trailer, as I'll be buying one very shortly. Could you give us Make, model, size, etc. and where you purchased it. Thanks.

Jim Becker
02-02-2007, 11:42 AM
Bob, the link to the trailer is in my post above. The specific model is UL58-2600. I originally planed on buying the 10' version, but there was a substantial price increase from when I found the product until I was able to buy it due to the escalating price of steel...so I went 8'. (Capacities are pretty much the same)

That's a really nice little trailer with a decent load capacity. Perfect size. I tried finding one a while back, but they were either too big or couldn't handle more than 1200 lbs.
Yes, that's big problem in the small utility trailer world...most of them in the 5'x8' "affordable" range top out at about 1200 lbs payload. Loadrite was the only one I found (locally) that offered higher capacity AND the tilt-bed format. The cost was just under a grand for what I bought. They make a nice aluminum rail set for it with a cost of about $150...which I'll gladly pay to avoid the time factor in building my own rails...I'd rather be making furniture in the shop in my precious free time.

I will also reiterate that I tried for 6 months to find a used trailer that was suitable, but was unable to come up with something that met my payload requirements. And most of them were "over priced" for their condition. So I bought new.

frank shic
02-02-2007, 11:52 AM
jim, which phase converter are you using to run that BEAST, you lucky dog?

Tyler Howell
02-02-2007, 1:31 PM
Way cool. Congrats!!!:cool:

Al Willits
02-02-2007, 1:45 PM
Kinda hard to top that one, congrats and enjoy...:)
More poictures as you go please.
I understand waiting, these tools get pretty heavy.

Al...who's not gonna say at 60 and crippled, he set up his planer and jointer by his self....:D

Todd Solomon
02-02-2007, 2:15 PM
Sweet! It looks like it fits just right in your shop.

I'm looking forward to seeing some sexy pictures, after you unrobe that Italian beautie. I know what you're doin' this weekend.

Todd

Jim Becker
02-02-2007, 4:55 PM
jim, which phase converter are you using to run that BEAST, you lucky dog?
Woof, Woof! :p

This is the single phase version...no converter necessary. 4.8 hp is perfectly fine for home-shop use, IMHO. It also has a 5/8" arbor which makes it compatible with all my current Forrest blades including the Dado King. (A bushing is used with a 12" main blade) The scoring blade remains at 20mm arbor. I believe that Lou Sansone has the 12" arbor version (He has a whole thread on it posted recently) and that version is not dado-compatible. This is one of the things l happen to like about Mini Max--they have adapted their machines nicely to the North American market with accommodations like this that allow one to use readily available tooling. This is also the new Tecnomax brand/line with the improved wagon slides, etc.

Nastia (Older daughter home "sick" from school...) and I hit Home Depot this afternoon, after meeting Dr. SWMBO for lunch, to pick up a 30 amp twist lock and some #10 rubber cable, so I should be able to have it fired up sometime tomorrow after physical placement and assembly and begin alignment, etc. I'm looking forward to it. (I even bought some kerosene as I know my electric heaters are not going to be able to keep up with the nasty cold that is about to descend upon us this weekend and into next week)

Alan Greene
02-03-2007, 4:35 AM
Congratulations Jim, I take it from the size of the box and your sketchup model that you got a great deal on all of that dust collection piping from MM.

Enjoy the saw.:)

lou sansone
02-03-2007, 6:36 AM
I used a pallet jack to move my saw around and it worked quite well. best wishes
lou

Eric Shields
02-03-2007, 7:01 AM
Jim,

I know from our discussions about your jet saw how much you were looking forward to this new arrival. Enjoy your weekend of assembley and getting acquainted with your new purchase. Congrats and can't wait to see some pics of your weekend accomplishments.

Eric

John Kairys
02-03-2007, 8:39 AM
Congratulations, Jim. Nice score. This is a somewhat different topic, but I just started using Sketch-up and noted your shop drawing. Where did you get the drawings/images of the machines?

John

Corvin Alstot
02-03-2007, 9:35 AM
That's a NICE espresso machine. It deserves it's own gloat. I bet
it makes fine cup of java. I'd consider making the trip out to Pennsylvania just for the coffee My thoughts exactly.
Okay, its the weekend. . . Get the lattes going and open up the box and post some progress pictures.

lou sansone
02-03-2007, 12:20 PM
Woof, Woof! :p

This is the single phase version...no converter necessary. 4.8 hp is perfectly fine for home-shop use, IMHO. It also has a 5/8" arbor which makes it compatible with all my current Forrest blades including the Dado King. (A bushing is used with a 12" main blade) The scoring blade remains at 20mm arbor. I believe that Lou Sansone has the 12" arbor version (He has a whole thread on it posted recently) and that version is not dado-compatible. This is one of the things l happen to like about Mini Max--they have adapted their machines nicely to the North American market with accommodations like this that allow one to use readily available tooling. This is also the new Tecnomax brand/line with the improved wagon slides, etc.

Nastia (Older daughter home "sick" from school...) and I hit Home Depot this afternoon, after meeting Dr. SWMBO for lunch, to pick up a 30 amp twist lock and some #10 rubber cable, so I should be able to have it fired up sometime tomorrow after physical placement and assembly and begin alignment, etc. I'm looking forward to it. (I even bought some kerosene as I know my electric heaters are not going to be able to keep up with the nasty cold that is about to descend upon us this weekend and into next week)

yea ... my arbor is 1". I had a bunch of 12" blades with 1" arbors already so this seemed fine. I actually did not know that it could come with a 5/8 option. I do have the 3 phase 9 hp version, so maybe with that larger motor, the 5/8 is not an option.

Just wondering why you don't just hard wire the saw instead of a twist lock?

lou

Wes Bischel
02-03-2007, 12:33 PM
Congrats Jim! When the lights dim in Lancaster, I'll know you've got it up and running!!;) :D :D

Wes

Bob Michaels
02-03-2007, 1:59 PM
Jim, thanks for the info on the trailer. There are a couple of LoadRite dealers in my area. Looks like just the rig that I need. Regards, Bob.

Jim Becker
02-03-2007, 9:31 PM
This is a somewhat different topic, but I just started using Sketch-up and noted your shop drawing. Where did you get the drawings/images of the machines?

Most I drew...a few came from the Woodworking Shop components available through Sketchup.com.

Just wondering why you don't just hard wire the saw instead of a twist lock?

'Cause I will not have a tool that I can't fully and visibly disconnect from the power source and I'd rather use a twist lock than put in a disconnect box. Simpler for me.

Okay, its the weekend. . . Get the lattes going and open up the box and post some progress pictures.

The deed is done. I just dumped the pictures to the computer after "family movie" and will get them prepared and posted as soon as I can. Things went very smoothly and having the help I did made for a very enjoyable day. (Joanne Adler's brownies were stupendous, too... :D)

When the lights dim in Lancaster, I'll know you've got it up and running!!

Smooth...no light dimming even in the shop. :) Incredibly smooth, in fact...forget the nickel test. I almost think you could balance a tiny one-kopeck coin on this baby.

Fred Voorhees
02-03-2007, 9:43 PM
(Joanne Adler's brownies were stupendous, too... :D)

Yup, the brownies were simply delightful! Thank you Joanne! The day was a fairly long one, but what the heck, it was sort of like Christmas, but sadly, as I stated early in the day while unpacking......it was under someone elses Christmas tree.:mad: Will be looking for the pics Jim.

Gary Herrmann
02-03-2007, 9:55 PM

Ralph 'Ralphie' Parker: We plunged into the cornucopia quivering with desire and the ecstasy of unbridled avarice.

Well, I assume that's how Jim felt...

jonathan snyder
02-03-2007, 9:59 PM
Congrats Jim,

Looking forward to pictures!

Jonathan

Jim Becker
02-03-2007, 10:02 PM
Hmm...unbridled avarice sounds quite nice. 'Don't get much of that around here anymore. We now have children. :o

Art Mulder
02-03-2007, 10:40 PM
Hey Jim,

Now that you have that outside access door to the upstairs... Isn't it tempting to rip out those stairs and give yourself more room in the shop? ;)

Keith Starosta
02-03-2007, 10:58 PM
Hey Jim,

Now that you have that outside access door to the upstairs... Isn't it tempting to rip out those stairs and give yourself more room in the shop? ;)

Funny you say that, Art. My wife, who has actually visited Jim's shop with me, asked the exact same question after I explained the upstairs access door.

So how 'bout it, Jim? If the LOML says "more room", it can't be that bad an idea. :D

- Keith

Scot wolf
02-03-2007, 11:05 PM
I bet the guys at the freight terminal are still laughing about that "guy" that was taking pictures of his freight.:p

Mark Singer
02-04-2007, 12:10 AM
nothing wrong with being excited about a large box.....we used to slide down hills on refrigerator cartons:rolleyes:

Jim Becker
02-04-2007, 10:52 AM
Scott, the camera was somewhat "hidden" in my palm, so I don't think they noticed...
---

Keith and Art, taking the stairs out would be more complicated than it would be worth and then I'd have to go outside in the rain and bitter cold just to get up there. So the stairs will stay. As you'll see from the "pictures to come", it's not really such a big issue anymore with the new arrangement...while I put a big machine in, I have actually ended up with more space, strange as that seems.

Pics are coming...later. I have a lot of them to cull through from my camera(s) plus some that Joanne just sent me from her camera. In the mean time...you can go here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=519184&postcount=6

Tim Wagner
02-04-2007, 12:25 PM
ya ya. inquiring minds want to know. I am pretty sure i know, but will let jim have the gloat.