PDA

View Full Version : Aaaaarrrrggggg!

Keith Outten
02-12-2003, 7:54 AM
Woops! Major Error on my part, I was editing the forum names per several requests and inadvertantly dumped the Main Forum. Major Egg On My Face. Iwas trying to respond to everyone's email and posts to make the configuration changes everyone wanted and clicked before I engaged the brain.
Obviously I feel BAD!

Scott Whiting
02-12-2003, 8:05 AM
I guess you can ignore the email I just sent you :D

Scott

Keith Outten
02-12-2003, 8:18 AM
Scott/All Members

OK, it was bound to happen but I really didn't think it would be so soon or such a major mistake. In the future when major adjustments are necessary I will backup the board before I click. I have absolutely no excuse for this one as I have login privileges on the server and could have duplicated the directory very easilly.

If my SysAdmin has already backed up the files we can recover them, if not shame on me I'm gonna take a beating for this one. After everyone has taken their shot at me I will delete this post so go ahead and blast away I've got it comming.

Mike Goodwin
02-12-2003, 8:37 AM
Keith, do you know if the backup worked? I am on my way to an auction and wanted to see if anyone responded to my questions. At least with computers there is a way to return to an earlier state. When I cut a board wrong (still happens often) I just have to start from scratch.

Mike

Keith Outten
02-12-2003, 8:54 AM
Mike,

I don't know yet whether a backup was made, we are trying to verify it now.

We have a SCSI backup system in our office and an eighteen day tape backup system set to automatically backup all the data on our servers every day at 5am. Because Badger Pond is getting so short on time we tried to accellerate getting this forum up and running as quick as possible. In my haste it is possible that I failed to have the new server included in the auto system for backup and I failed to ask Ray our System Administrator to confirm the backup last night.

This isn't an excuse, I won't blame the software, hardware or anyone else it was my responsibility to verify the backup before I made the changes this morning. You can't imageine how bad I feel.

Jackie Outten
02-12-2003, 9:29 AM
Hey, it happens to the best.

Mike Brewster
02-12-2003, 9:33 AM
I thought the place looked a little thin when I logged in. Everybody is getting used to the new software. You got this up and running so fast there were bound to be some minor problems. I wouldn't sweat it.

103 Registered users! That's pretty remarkable.

Keep up the good work,
Mike

Joe Suelter
02-12-2003, 9:36 AM
Take it easy on yourself, mistakes are inevitable (sp), especially while learning something new. We'll get through it just fine...just like a new car, tool, appliance, it takes some time to work the bugs out!--Joe Suelter

Martin Shupe
02-12-2003, 9:47 AM
Don't worry Keith, it was only a day's worth, and no one here is going to leave because you made an honest mistake, especially since we understand the difficulties of starting a site this big.

I was more concerned about what will happen when the switch to sawmillcreek.org occurs. Will we be directed to the new site?

I am sure you have thought of this already, but I am sure I am not the only one wondering what to type in when I look for the site.

John Sanford
02-12-2003, 10:15 AM
I'll bet you won't make THAT mistake again, eh?

BTDT (from the makers of DAMHIKT, we're proud to introduce a new 'Netism - "Been there, done that")

Dave Arbuckle
02-12-2003, 10:20 AM
*snicker*

Been in the computer biz twenty years or so. Wish I could say I never did anything like that, Keith. But I'd be lying.

Dave

Phil Hudak
02-12-2003, 11:58 AM
Hey Keith,

Don't be too hard on yourself.

Like Dave says, if anybody who's in the biz says that they have never made a slip with the mouse clicking, they would be lying.

You're doing a great job; fine forum you've set-up here.

Phil Hudak

Mike Goodwin
02-12-2003, 1:30 PM
Keith,
Life is too short to let this bother you. I had posted a question regarding the retail value of some tools. After going to the pre-auction inspection I found that all those tools were waaaaay out of my league.

Thanks for all your work on this forum!

Mike

Tom Sweeney
02-12-2003, 10:21 PM
With all the money we're payin you for this. . . We expect better :D

No prob - I was just fixin a little screw up on one of my web sites also - Must have been a glitch at the hosting company don't ya think or maybe it was the UUNET backbone that caused both our problems - Yeah that's the ticket :rolleyes:

Keep up the good work!

Kneale Brownson
02-15-2003, 7:25 PM
As they say on those "teasers" for This Old House, measure once, cut twice.....or is it measure twice, cut once????

All I can say is, what if you weren't here at all, Keith. Don't worry about it.