PDA

View Full Version : Clear Vue DC--Can I use it like this?

Jameel Abraham
02-01-2007, 11:34 AM
I'm exapnding my shop come warmer weather, with a completely refurbished DC system. Trouble is, I want to keep working in the meantime and my brand new ClearVue is sitting unused while the shop gets choked with dust.

I'm thinking I'll hang the system and run a short run of 6" pipe to my central machine (Table saw), say 20' of duct total, the run a branch off of that with a longer length of 6" flex that I can hook up to jointer/planer etc. as I use each machine. I'm thinking this will actually make for some excellent collection, since I will have such a short run, but is it necessarily good for the DC to do short runs? It seems like I remember reading that's its a bad idea to not let the DC have enough air flow. So maybe I should just keep both the table saw run open all the time, even when using the flex?

Jim Becker
02-01-2007, 11:51 AM
I'm not sure what you are concerned with, but shorter runs are optimal. Even if this is temporary, getting the cyclone up and running is a good idea...and if using some hoses gets you there until you can install the way you ultimately intend...go for it. The only thing you don't want to do is run the cyclone without any duct attached...that can overtax the motor.

Cecil Arnold
02-01-2007, 11:54 AM
Jameel,

It is my understanding that the only problem you may face with lower air flow is dust/chips falling out of the air train. So far as air flow to the motor, I think you will find that reduced/no air flow produces less amps (work) on the motor. I know that sounds counterintuitive, but the testing I have seen would seem to bear it out. I think most DCs are tested with about a 10' run of piping, so 20' plus flex shouldn't over work the CV--IMHO.

Pete Brown
02-01-2007, 1:51 PM
I'm doing something similar with my Oneida. I haven't had a chance to mount the permanent duct work, so I just use a flex hose attached to it. The collection is worse than a perm system would be, but my shop is small enough that using it like that is a viable short-term option.

Short runs are good for DC.

Pete

Noah Katz
02-01-2007, 1:58 PM
What can be bad for the DC motor is overly *un*restricted airflow, which can burn out the motor, depending on the motor power and DC/system design.

Jim Becker
02-01-2007, 6:07 PM
What can be bad for the DC motor is overly *un*restricted airflow, which can burn out the motor, depending on the motor power and DC/system design.
Correct...wide open is "bad", hence the warning about running it with no duct/hose attached. No air flow places almost no load on the motor...it just idles, in a sense.

Jameel Abraham
02-10-2007, 4:30 PM
Thanks all. Got er going, and its quite an experience. Working incredibly well. I had no idea DC could be this good.

glenn bradley
02-10-2007, 4:41 PM
My current build requires all flex runs. To help with the behavior of the hose under vacuum I manifold the runs and gate them about three feet from the DC. Only one or two runs are open at any time. If I'm running the TS lower only, there are about ten feet of hose in play. I have never had a problem.

Ron Blaise
02-10-2007, 4:50 PM
I'm exapnding my shop come warmer weather, with a completely refurbished DC system. Trouble is, I want to keep working in the meantime and my brand new ClearVue is sitting unused while the shop gets choked with dust.

I'm thinking I'll hang the system and run a short run of 6" pipe to my central machine (Table saw), say 20' of duct total, the run a branch off of that with a longer length of 6" flex that I can hook up to jointer/planer etc. as I use each machine. I'm thinking this will actually make for some excellent collection, since I will have such a short run, but is it necessarily good for the DC to do short runs? It seems like I remember reading that's its a bad idea to not let the DC have enough air flow. So maybe I should just keep both the table saw run open all the time, even when using the flex?
Cause I haven't put in hard pipe yet. It certainly won't hurt to use flex untill you get your system up.