PDA

View Full Version : Creating Letters/Numbers through segmenting

Tim Brooks
02-01-2007, 8:48 AM
I want to turn a pen with the following in the clip end of the pen/pencil:

"G12"

How would this be done? I guess I need to get a book, huh. But I thought I would go to the experts first.

Tim Brooks
02-01-2007, 11:12 AM
I guess engraving is my only option based on the responses I've seen here.

Mike Vickery
02-01-2007, 11:41 AM
Check you PM's.

Jason Solodow
02-01-2007, 1:24 PM
Well Tim, depends.. Do you have a scroll saw? I use my scroll saw to cut through the blank in the shapes that I need then inset it. Takes a bit of practice, but once you get the hang of it it's really easy.

TYLER WOOD
02-01-2007, 3:24 PM
I created a double T for Texas Tech pens. I took bloodwood for the double t and the wrapped it all in maple for a white background. Took a while, but I made a length of dowel out of it and now all I do is cut a pice off and drill a hole in the pen blank and glue in the segment, the turn as normal. Looks really nice with ebony as the pen blanks!

Tim Brooks
02-01-2007, 3:35 PM
I created a double T for Texas Tech pens. I took bloodwood for the double t and the wrapped it all in maple for a white background. Took a while, but I made a length of dowel out of it and now all I do is cut a pice off and drill a hole in the pen blank and glue in the segment, the turn as normal. Looks really nice with ebony as the pen blanks!

Tyler,

Do you have a picture of the pen? I'd like to see it.

TYLER WOOD
02-01-2007, 3:47 PM
I don't of the pen, but I can try to get pics of the round blank this weekend. I sold the three pens that I had made. Evidently I priced them way to cheap cause nobody balked and immediately went to the wallet when I told them how much they were.:(

Tim Brooks
02-01-2007, 3:51 PM
Thanks, I'll be looking for it. I have a feeling me efforts to do this will be feudal but I figured I'd give it a try.

Malcolm Tibbetts
02-02-2007, 12:24 PM
Tim, if I understand your question correctly, you want to embed a very small logo (3/8" dia or less). I'm not a pen turner, but here's just one way to do it. Use a Dremel (Powercrafter would be even better) and engrave your logo into a piece of light colored wood. You might want to do several in order to choose the best or perhaps you need multiples - do lots of them. Try to undercut the perimeter slightly; this will help insure the join with colored epoxy. Then mix a black dye into some epoxy (5 minute or 90 minute). Make sure it's nice and black. Press the epoxy into place and let cure. Sand the surface so you can inspect and select the best one(s). Cut out the logos and punch a tiny indentation into the center. Use your tailstock cone center to perfectly center position the logo onto a small waste block. Secure with a little CA glue. Turn to the desired diameter. Use as needed.

Another option would be to have the logo laser engraved by someone like:

http://www.kallenshaanwoods.com/servlet/StoreFront (http://www.kallenshaanwoods.com/servlet/StoreFront)

and then do the epoxy thing. I've used Ken Nelson (above link) to create a few laser engraved nameplates and he does a great job.

Hope this helps.

Tim Brooks
02-02-2007, 2:30 PM
Tim, if I understand your question correctly, you want to embed a very small logo (3/8" dia or less). I'm not a pen turner, but here's just one way to do it. Use a Dremel (Powercrafter would be even better) and engrave your logo into a piece of light colored wood. You might want to do several in order to choose the best or perhaps you need multiples - do lots of them. Try to undercut the perimeter slightly; this will help insure the join with colored epoxy. Then mix a black dye into some epoxy (5 minute or 90 minute). Make sure it's nice and black. Press the epoxy into place and let cure. Sand the surface so you can inspect and select the best one(s). Cut out the logos and punch a tiny indentation into the center. Use your tailstock cone center to perfectly center position the logo onto a small waste block. Secure with a little CA glue. Turn to the desired diameter. Use as needed.

Another option would be to have the logo laser engraved by someone like:

http://www.kallenshaanwoods.com/servlet/StoreFront (http://www.kallenshaanwoods.com/servlet/StoreFront)

and then do the epoxy thing. I've used Ken Nelson (above link) to create a few laser engraved nameplates and he does a great job.

Hope this helps.

Wow, thanks for the info. Asking the original question has been a learning experience for me as my original plan was to make many of these :eek: to use for a fund raiser but I think it may be a little too high a aspiration for me. Your idea sounds intriguing though, I might have to give it a try for at least one.

Rich Stewart
02-02-2007, 2:56 PM
Wow. I looked at that laser engraving site. Awesome! It made me want to check into laser engravers. Seems a cheap one is like 15,000 bucks. Now THERE'S a hobby you could sink some cash in. We can all tell our wives, "But Honey, it could be worse. I could have gotten into laser engraving instead of turning."

TYLER WOOD
02-02-2007, 3:01 PM
Here is the drawing that I used for a template. Immagine This is the face of a 5" long square. This thing is only 1/2" round. Once I got the blank build I turned the whole thing round. Now I an eithr drill through the pen blank perpendicular to the pen or just glue it on to the end of the pen. The hardest thing is making the slats for the letters or design. This is no too dificult with block letters, but if you want rounded text????

TYLER WOOD
02-02-2007, 3:03 PM
where oh where is the attachment! There it is!!!!