PDA

View Full Version : Is there a jig to cut hexagons?

John Huber
02-01-2007, 8:39 AM
I want to make about 150 small hexagons of about one inch across, but not all the same size. Is there a jig to make this easy?

I can figure out how to make opposite sides parallel and getting the first 60 degree angle. But getting the second 60 degree angle cut such that the two edges are EXACTLY the same length is not so obvious. I would like to avoid measuring each and every hexagon.

Thanks in advance.

Keith Outten
02-01-2007, 8:55 AM
John,

Go to the Beale Tools web site and check out their hex head cutting jig. It works on a table saw or band saw and is probably just the ticket for what you want to do.

Rick Lizek
02-01-2007, 9:00 AM
http://www.bealltool.com/pdfs/hexnut_fixture.pdf
This is what he is talking about...

Al Willits
02-01-2007, 9:15 AM
I think I seen one in the Rockler catalog also.
Al

Jim O'Dell
02-01-2007, 9:51 AM
The Joint-Tech Smart Miter will do this and many other shapes. Rep[eatable if you need multiple of the same aize. Angle markings are on a cheat sheet right on the sled's face! Jim.

Jon Shively
02-01-2007, 10:07 AM
A wire with a bunch of assorted sizes of nuts and then I pull off the size needed and trace around it. I went to the store and bought one of each so they were not oily or rusty. Comes in handy from time to time. Cheap jig also.

Lee DeRaud
02-01-2007, 11:51 AM
What material are you cutting them out of? For thin stuff in that quantity, it might be worthwhile getting someone with a laser to do it.

glenn bradley
02-01-2007, 1:32 PM
I would think ripping a long piece of stock and then cross cut some of that size, rip down again and cross cut the new size, etc. Similar to the way turners prepare a blank for the lathe (?).