PDA

View Full Version : Newbie checking in

Stan Welborn
02-01-2007, 3:22 AM
Hello all. Joined a couple days ago and decided I'd introduce myself after spending several hours reading the wealth of info others post here.

I have a 45x35 detached garage that is currently rather well equipped for automotive customization and repair. I have some issues with my spine and can no longer contort, stretch, wiggle, and crawl around, under hoods, in and under vehicles. So my plans in the near future are to liquidate all those expensive Snap-on, Mac, etc tools/equipment and transform the shop to woodworking. (Yeah! A hobby that's mostly waist high! WooHoo!) I've done some woodworking in the past with pleasing results, and which I enjoyed immensely. Kitchen cabinets (hired out the doors), wainscoting, and trim type stuff, but have never had quality equipment to work with (since way back in school cabinetry class anyway). Only a contractors table saw, miter saw, power tool stuff.

I'm a serious overboard type person, meaning I have a hard time settling for "that'll do", but I ain't stupid either. My skill level, knowledge, and pocketbook won't allow me to go out and purchase a whole shop full of top-of –the-line euro machinery. I'm excited about transforming the shop into a woodworking area that I'll enjoy, but I'll start slow and see how it goes. I plan on getting a nice hunk of change for the automotive tools I no longer use though, (I've accumulated quite a collection over the years for someone who didn't make their living at it. Sorta like some of you with your woodworking tools I bet) so I should be able to make choices in the "don’t buy that, save up until you have enough to get..." category, as the want..., er, need arises. :)

The first purchases are still a few months off as it’ll take a while to liquidate the ton of auto tools I currently have. Doesn't hurt to plan and dream ahead though. Right now I'm looking to start with a table saw, maybe a PM2000 or SawStop, (finding it hard to justify the extra $ for the SS) and a top of the line DC system and duct work as the first purchases. (I have a headache from all the info I’ve digested about DC systems in the past few days. Thanks Bill for your informative website and to other posters here.) Or maybe a band saw like the GO513X or... instead of a TS. I got plenty of time to hash it over.

That could all change as my knowledge base grows. I'm about half insomniac so I live on the Internet chasing information at night.:eek:

Anyway, I look forward to reading and learning more from "ya'll" (yep. I'm a southern boy)

Don Bullock
02-01-2007, 8:07 AM
Welcome Stan. As you have already discovered the wealth of information just on this site is astounding. There are some true experts and craftsmen and craftswomen here that will help you along your way. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. I'm just getting back into woodworking myself and have learned a lot from the people here. I'm sure you will too.

Ted Shrader
02-01-2007, 8:31 AM
Hey Stan -

Glad to have you on board. The Creek is a thread place to hang out and exchange ideas. A wealth of info available here.

Do you have a paint booth in your current shop? If so, you might want to considerer keeping the equipment and re-sizing the area. One other suggestion - With your back, lumber and plywood storage will be key. There have been some good threads with great ideas about different strategies/techniques.

Welcome,
Ted

Ken Salisbury
02-01-2007, 8:35 AM
(yep. I'm a southern boy)

WELCOME TO THE CREEK

WE CAN USE ALL THE SOUTHERN BOYS & GALS WE CAN MUSTER
SO WE DON'T GET OVERRUN WITH YANKEES :)

Your Friendly Moderator

Mike Weaver
02-01-2007, 9:20 AM
Stan,
Welcome to the Creek.
From what you've said, I might consider a european combination machine with at least an 8' slider (I'm partial to Mini-Max machinery, but there are others).

Anyway, welcome again & I hope to live vicariously through you as you outfit your shop. :D

-Mike

Al Willits
02-01-2007, 9:48 AM
Welcome.
As someone who isn't as spry as he used to be, and has arthrits in his right foot from a mishap on a motorcycle, I needed a hobby that would let me sit at times, woodworking works well for that.

I made my assembly table short enough that I can sit at it while I glue, sand, cut, daydream, whatever, and it helps a lot.

I'm a newbie at this too, and other than the occasional band aid useage, I'm having a blast.

Enjoy.

Al.....who's discovering a new level of sharp....:)

Stan Welborn
02-01-2007, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the kind welcome. Seems to be good people here.

Hey Stan -

Glad to have you on board. The Creek is a thread place to hang out and exchange ideas. A wealth of info available here.

Do you have a paint booth in your current shop? If so, you might want to considerer keeping the equipment and re-sizing the area. One other suggestion - With your back, lumber and plywood storage will be key. There have been some good threads with great ideas about different strategies/techniques.

Welcome,
Ted

Matter of fact I do Ted. Last bay on the right. Problem is this lil red job that I built for my son occupies that space. It don't get out much. Maybe a beautiful fall Saturday night. I've another garage attached to my house, and the wife says I can just put it in there, but that's mainly her area and I could tell her heart wasn't in the offer.:D My boy is almost 13 though so it'll be out sooner than I want. He's growing up too fast.

Yeah, I've been reading the threads on storage, some good ideas to steal.;)

http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/1549/dscf00106acf1.jpg

http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/4627/untitled1ku1.jpg

http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/3958/dsc01614im5.jpg

Dan Gill
02-01-2007, 11:06 AM
Welcome to the Creek, Stan. Nice garage/shop, and nice little red car. If you plan to give that to a 16-year-old boy, maybe you should keep some of your body work tools. :D

Jim Becker
02-01-2007, 11:21 AM
Welcome to the 'Creek, Stan. That's a wonderful building and I think you'll end up with a fine shop. Having the spray booth will really come in handy over time, too, as you'll not be limited in your finishing options.