PDA

View Full Version : Biesemeyer overhead blade guard

Mike Scott
02-01-2007, 2:40 AM
I have a biesemeyer overhead blade guard on mu unisaw. I want to add a router to my extension table (left side of the blade), using the table saw fence as part of a new router fence. The problem...the blade guard support/mounting post is in the way. I do not want to remove the blade guard in its entirty each time I move from routing to sawing. Has anyone out there dealt with this situation? Your thoughts and advice on how to deal with the blade guard would be welcome!

My bad...I meant right side of the blade...not left. It was late, what can I say for my first post!!!!

Charles McKinley
02-01-2007, 10:20 AM
Hi Mike,

Why not make your fence for the router run the long way of the saw (parallel to the saw fence rails) rather than accross the short way. This should eliminate the problem with the post. You just remove the rip fence and have a nice long out feed support. Put a couple of threaded inserts to hold the router table fence so it is easily removeable also.

CPeter James
02-01-2007, 10:31 AM
I have a similar setup and run my stock through the router on the inside, rather than the outside. The stiff leg under the overhead arm is not necessary, just takes some of the load and I can remove it if I need the clearance. I have it in there because I extened the length of the arm to about 60" from the original 52".

http://home.metrocast.net/~cpjvkj/tsaw.jpg

CPeter

Jim Becker
02-01-2007, 10:43 AM
Don't you mean the right side, Mike? That said, the Biesemeyer, Excalibur, Exactor and similar guards all have constraints on routing in the right extension table due to their mounting method. Two options are to modify the guard so it's suspended from the ceiling or as Charles suggests, putting the router fence parallel to the table saw front rail. Embedding t-track in the table would allow you to make a router fence easily removable. It also means you have a lot of lateral support for the material you are routing due to the width of the saw system.

Kelly C. Hanna
02-01-2007, 10:48 AM
I am probably going to drop mine down from the ceiling when I build it. I have enough limitations already without adding another one.

glenn bradley
02-01-2007, 1:42 PM
Is your mast on the left? My mast is on the right and my RT on the left. No problem. I think I must be missing something, sorry.

rick fulton
02-01-2007, 3:00 PM
Mike, I hang mine from the ceiling.

http://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=23424&d=1126273384