PDA

View Full Version : Shuffle Board Top

Darrin Davis
01-31-2007, 9:57 PM
I know this should probably go under the wood finishing forum but I though I might have a better chance with more viewing this one. I have a student who has built a shuffleboard table in my class and he is ready for the pour-on epoxy for the top. The plans say to pour it 3/16" to 1/4" thick. I understand how the process will work but I was wondering if anyone out there has any experience with this stuff and let me know if there is going to be any unexpected suprises we might encounter. Also, there are many types of 2 part epoxies out there and the instructions don't really say which type to use. Any one?

Jacob Dahn
02-01-2007, 9:14 AM
Don't know which system you are going to use for the top, but we have done a couple of two part systems for table tops. The hard thing is getting all of the bubbles out of the finish. They usually recommend a hairdryer to get the bubbles out. I have found that a hairdryer doesn't get nearly hot enough. Use a heat gun at a minimum, but we have had the best luck with a propane torch. Just run it quickly over the surface. Works great.

And wear a respirator. Some of the varieties have a nearly unbearable smell.

Jake