PDA

View Full Version : Cyclone project almost done!

J.R. Rutter
01-31-2007, 8:15 PM
Last year around this time, I was looking for a new dust collector. Creeker Brian King put me on the trail of a Torit Model 30 with hopper base at a used equipment dealer. I ended up buying it and it sat GATHERING dust until I had time to get permits and erect it outside. Yesterday we finally finished the duct connection to the building. Now we just need a long weekend to tear down the Nordfab network and redo it on the new collector. I got an AGET baghouse with over 600 SF of media, so my air to cloth ratio will be about 7.5 - 8 to 1.

We fired it up today to take amp readings, and it is sitting right at max rated amps with these 2 short sections installed. Man the air was circulating inside the building! Anyway, since this project originated here, I'll gloat here now!

Phil Thien
01-31-2007, 8:47 PM
WOW!

Do you have to provide any special grounding to handle possible lightning strikes?

Do you happen to know the CFM of that unit?

Pete Brown
01-31-2007, 9:00 PM
Can you install one of those in my shed? ;)

Pete

Jim Becker
01-31-2007, 9:26 PM
Sweet looking installation, JR!

Eric Brenneman
01-31-2007, 9:31 PM
Do you get much cold weather there? If so I think it will need to be insulated from ambient (outside) air so as not to accumulate moisture inside it.

J.R. Rutter
01-31-2007, 10:20 PM
I think it is rated for 4000 to 5000 CFM under normal operation (with filters and ducting).

I didn't do any special grounding, but there is an engineered footing to handle wind load.

Never thought about condensation, but we're producing a fair volume of chips, so hopefully it won't accumulate too much moisture between dumps. The hopper will hold about 1 week's worth. Most of the time our winter temps are in the 40s.

Jim Dunn
01-31-2007, 11:03 PM
Looks like something you'd mix concrete in:) Nice addition to you shop. Now how about some pics of the inside of the shop?

Eric Brenneman
02-01-2007, 4:07 AM
The reason I asked was because in a former life I was an Insulator. I have insulated industrial dust collectors in the past. When the warm air in the building hits the cold from the outside it precipitates its humidity on the cold metal. If you air condition in the Summer the reverse happens- the moisture is on the outside of the unit. It's only the Winter that may cause problems. Good looking machine and I hope it works out that I'm wrong.:)

J.R. Rutter
02-01-2007, 10:21 AM
What sort of insulation would be best? I just had visions of a frozen mass of sawdust not budging from the hopper!

David Less
02-01-2007, 11:17 AM
J.R,

You must have to be a certain weight and anker everything down to work in your shop.

David

:D

glenn bradley
02-01-2007, 1:39 PM
Be sure to wear scuba ankle weights when working in the shop. ;-)

Eric Brenneman
02-01-2007, 3:39 PM
I've used sheet rubber and contact adhesive in some applications. Others have been foil backed rigid fiberglass boards and sheet aluminum. Mitred ells and various other things. The trick is to stop the condensation with insulation and a vapor barrier.

J.R. Rutter
02-03-2007, 1:33 AM
The electrical inspector signed off on it today, so we're tentatively scheduled for a swap at the end of next week. I'll be re-arranging the layout of the shop and re-doing the ductwork for a couple of days, I think.

Wish me luck, this is becoming plant layout/process engineering!

Jeffrey Makiel
02-03-2007, 9:39 AM
I would like to take this opportunity to describe the size of my shop to everyone. It is about the size of the blue square hopper hanging off the bottom of this thing!

Wow!
-Jeff :)