PDA

View Full Version : How is the Makita 2012NB planer?

Shannon Seelig
01-31-2007, 6:49 PM
Hey Folks,

I have been doing a lot of research on planers and I have a chance to purchase a slightly used Makita planer. It looks great. It comes with an extra set of new blades for $350. The gentleman bought a Jet 15 inch and doesn't need this little one. Any suggestions on how it works before I take the plunge?
Thanks everyone!
Shannon

Jim Becker
01-31-2007, 7:39 PM
I seem to remember an article some time ago about this machine and it was complimentary...but it's rare to hear about them for some reason. The problem is the price, however...it sells new for $412 right now at Amazon with a full warranty, so it better be "sparkling" and only slightly used as you state. (If the extra knives didn't come with it, it would be too much, IMHO) But I suggest you also compare the prices for a new Delta 22-580 or Dewalt 735. Newer designs, a hair wider, etc.

Joe Spear
01-31-2007, 10:00 PM
I sold my Delta 13" 2-speed last summer and got the Makita. It planes just as well but loses a little width to the Delta. It doesn't have a head lock, but it doesn't snipe easily. By pulling up on the end of the board as it goes in and comes out, you can avoid snipe altogether. It is much lighter and somewhat quieter than the Delta. I had some Amazon coupons and ended up shelling out about $275 for it. The blades are cheaper than the Delta's. Some woodworkers on another forum have been discussing the Palmgren planers. The larger one seems like a fine machine and is a lot cheaper on Amazon than the Delta or Makita.

Jim Dunn
01-31-2007, 10:59 PM
I've got that same planer and love it! Nice easy machine to use and the finish is just great.

Jack Hutchinson
01-31-2007, 11:17 PM
blade change quick and simple. deals with everthing I ask it to. No problems at all in 15 months use with pine, oak, lots of hard maple. (I reclaimed quarter-sawn boards from an old bowling alley with it.)

Okay one. Dust collection isn't perfect. Plenty of shavings on the floor. I vacuum internally periodically. 90% plus are in the collector though.

Ryan Ricks
02-01-2007, 8:18 AM
Great little planer. I have used one for several years with no problems. It has handled oak, hard maple, walnut, and anything else I have been able to send its' way. When I got mine it was also the "quietest" benchtop planer, but don't let that fool you. You still want hearing protection with this thing. I would get it again in a hearbeat.

-Ryan

Andrew Catron
02-01-2007, 9:41 AM
I have the same planer, I haven't had the same experience as the other guys here. I get snipe on the infeed end. I am going to try to remove the folding wings and mount a piece of mdf as a longer flatter table and see if that resolves the problem.

I did only pay $370 brand new from amazon. New blades are $30 from amazon too. I would reccomend getting the dust hood too.

Justin McCurdy
02-01-2007, 9:57 AM
I bought one, put a Wixey thickness gauge on it, but have never used it. It might go up for sale before I do becuase I mainly do cabinetry. I did however research the purchase thoroughly and can tell you that I was impressed by how much everyone liked the tool (not counting the amazon reviews).

Shannon Seelig
02-01-2007, 5:56 PM
It comes with an extra set of new blades for $350.
Thanks everyone!
Shannon[/quote]

After talking with the gentleman, he said he would come down in price to $325. I figured that was an even better deal. I am seriously thinking about buying this planer. Thanks for the great reviews so far folks!
Thanks again,
Shannon

Jim Becker
02-01-2007, 5:58 PM
Shannon, at $325, I think it is a good deal for a good machine...especially with the extra knives waiting in the wings!

Shannon Seelig
02-01-2007, 6:04 PM
Thanks Jim,

After I thought about your comment last night about price, I thought twice about buying it. Then I asked for a price reduction and he came down. Thanks for the great advice Jim. I take your comments very seriously and I appreciate your honesty!
This is truly a great place to ask questions and get lots of help, information, and advice.
Thanks again EVERYONE