PDA

View Full Version : Any Minimax slot mortiser users

Robert LaPlaca
01-31-2007, 5:44 PM
Hi folks,

Let me introduce myself, I am a serious hobbiest woodworker that has been lurking about this site for sometime. I am currently (and for sometime) have been working away on a pair of the Lonnie Bird Secretaries from FWW issues 154-156. I am a really big fan of 18th century furniture.

From my lurking, I see that SMC has a fair number of Minimax combo machine owners. I own a MM FS-41 elite jointer planer combo and have been considering the slot mortiser attachment. Does anyone here own the MM slot mortiser, if so would you mind telling what you like or dislike about it.

Thanks

Jim Becker
01-31-2007, 5:53 PM
Mark Singer uses the mortiser on his FS41 Elite and I had the opportunity to play with it when I visited a few months ago. Wonderful attachment. I'd put one on my FS350, but for this older machine, it mounts on the back and I can't accomodate it in my shop that way. Fortunately, Robert Tarr has one for his FS35...and I know where he lives... ;)

Seriously, I think it's a great addition to the machine.

Mark Singer
01-31-2007, 6:47 PM
Jim did come play....It is terrific and the best thing it is not in the way since it hangs on the back allowing full access to the jointer and planer functions... I have a post of a table I made somewhere on SMC for the machine with stops and clamp holes. It really works well and saves lots of time. Loose tenon joinery allows you to mortise both components and the long grain to long grain side is stronger tan if it were a true M&T joint....IMHO:rolleyes: ,,bottom line ...ITs Great!

Doug Mason
01-31-2007, 7:41 PM
I bought the larger mortiser and tapped new holes for it on my FS35. It doesn't get in way (even though it sits on the front of the machine). And I copied Mark Singer's table (you'll find the posts for his by searching). I think it is worth every penny invested. It did get me thinking that it would be fairly easy for somebody to make a freestanding mortiser just by buying a motor and making a table--and the results would be the same.

Jeff Wright
01-31-2007, 8:07 PM
Suggest you contact Sam Blasco at MiniMax Austin TX. While he is one of their sales reps, he does great work and owns a 410 Elite S combo with the mortiser unit. He could give you good insight in the mortiser's use and capabilities. I recently got the 410 Elite with the mortiser (from Sam), but have not used the mortiser yet. One day soon. I'm having too much fun with the other parts of the machine!

Mike Waddell
01-31-2007, 8:37 PM
Robert -

I have a CU300Smart and use the mortising attachment quite often. While on the combo the attachment does mount "in the way," it has not stopped me from leaving it on the machines at all times.

I find it extremely useful. I often still use the FMT to create the tenon on one piece of wood and the mortising attachment to create (surprise!) the mortise. I find the mortising attachment easier and quicker to use when creating the mortises than the FMT, but I still prefer a normal tenon rather than a floating tenon. I have used floating tenons on some projects, and they are easy to do also.

Good luck with your decision, and feel free to email me if you have any specific questions.

Mike

Robert LaPlaca
01-31-2007, 8:51 PM
Wow, so far the mortiser sounds like a winner. Thanks for all your comments so far.

Bill Grumbine
02-01-2007, 8:32 AM
Robert, put me down for one who really likes the slot mortiser as well. I bought an aftermarket plate which is not available anymore to make things a little easier, but all by itself the mortiser is a very nice machine (or attachment in my case) to own. Mine does not stay on the machine, but rather sits on a movable pedestal which makes it relatively easy to move around, and get on and off the machine. My shop is crowded enough that I need the extra room around the machine whenever possible.

I will also say that if you want to talk to anyone who really knows their stuff, Sam Blasco is the one to see.

Bill

Roy Wall
02-01-2007, 11:34 AM
Robert,

I'll echo all the positives listed so far - I certainly enjoy the mortising attachment. It is accurate and easy to setup.
I have the smaller FS35 with the mortiser in the front. I do leave the mortiser attached all the time - it's a touch in the way...but you get use to it.
I agree Sam Blasco is the "go to" guy at MM.

Michael Sloan
02-01-2007, 11:42 AM
I use the mortiser on my MM CU300 on a regular basis, and find it very useful.

Something to think about though: Jerry Work, who is a pro furniture builder that I think posts here on occassion, just sold (or is selling) his mortiser. He has been working with the Festool Domino (I think he's writing a manual for the company), and says that the Domino does everything that he used the slot mortiser for, but does it better.

Mike

Aaron Beaver
02-01-2007, 11:59 AM
Jim did come play....It is terrific and the best thing it is not in the way since it hangs on the back allowing full access to the jointer and planer functions... I have a post of a table I made somewhere on SMC for the machine with stops and clamp holes. It really works well and saves lots of time. Loose tenon joinery allows you to mortise both components and the long grain to long grain side is stronger tan if it were a true M&T joint....IMHO:rolleyes: ,,bottom line ...ITs Great!

Can you help with the link, I haven't found it yet. I have the mortiser but have not used it yet, haven't built anything needing them yet, but one project is on the way. What bits do you guys use with them?

Aaron Beaver
02-01-2007, 12:04 PM
Now I found it.

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=37190&highlight=mortiser+table

Roy Wall
02-01-2007, 12:11 PM
Can you help with the link, I haven't found it yet. I have the mortiser but have not used it yet, haven't built anything needing them yet, but one project is on the way. What bits do you guys use with them?

Aaron -

1/4 and 3/8" so far... I have a set that includes 1/2 - 5/8 - 3/4

The DC attachment is excellent also.

Aaron Beaver
02-01-2007, 12:14 PM
Aaron -

1/4 and 3/8" so far... I have a set that includes 1/2 - 5/8 - 3/4

The DC attachment is excellent also.

Roy thanks, I guess I should of been more clear. Are you using upcut, downcut spiral, or another type of plunge bit.

Robert Waddell
02-01-2007, 12:17 PM
Robert,
I don't have the machine in question but just wanted to say; from one Charlotte Robert to another, welcome to the "Creek".
Rob

Roy Wall
02-01-2007, 12:25 PM
Roy thanks, I guess I should of been more clear. Are you using upcut, downcut spiral, or another type of plunge bit.

Sorry Aaron....

These are from MM - they are the ONSRUD bits. You cannot plunge straight down with them or they burn badly. Just a 1/8" or so, and then you start working it side to side while plunging slowly and evenly.

http://www.minimax-usa.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage_norm&Itemid=26&category_id=41&product_id=217

Aaron Beaver
02-01-2007, 12:28 PM
Sorry Aaron....

These are from MM - they are the ONSRUD bits. You cannot plunge straight down with them or they burn badly. Just a 1/8" or so, and then you start working it side to side while plunging slowly and evenly.

http://www.minimax-usa.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage_norm&Itemid=26&category_id=41&product_id=217

Okay, just checking. I got the 1/4" bit when I got my mortiser since I use mostly 3/4" stock, just haven't used it yet but they did warn me not to start very deep, like you said. I'll make sure I practice first.