PDA

View Full Version : Here's the blueprint for my next segmented vessel

Bill Wyko
01-31-2007, 4:31 PM
I thought I'd post a pic of the first stage of my next project. This is where I figure out the diameter, thickness length and heigth of each segment.

Steve Schlumpf
01-31-2007, 4:36 PM
Looks like it should be a fairly nice size vase. Post pics of your process if you can - I haven't done any segmented work yet and have to admit the more I see of it the more I am thinking of giving it a shot.

Bernie Weishapl
01-31-2007, 4:39 PM
I was going to say the same thing. Can you post your progress from the time you cut the pieces to the glue up process to turning the vase. Thanks Bill.

Bill Wyko
01-31-2007, 4:43 PM
The way I figure out the outside length of each segment is to multiply the diameter by 3.1416 (which is pie) then divide that number by the number of segments. In this case 12. The angle of the cut is determined by multiplying the number of segments by 360 then divide by 2 (half the angle for each side of the segment) In this case the angle of the cut is 15 degrees. 12 segments X 30 degrees = 360 Piece of cake:eek: :D

Bill Wyko
01-31-2007, 4:46 PM
I was going to say the same thing. Can you post your progress from the time you cut the pieces to the glue up process to turning the vase. Thanks Bill.

Actually I've already glued and sanded the rings but I have'nt stacked them yet. I'll take pics and I'll draw diagrams on them and post some more tomorrow.:D

Malcolm Tibbetts
01-31-2007, 5:32 PM
Bill, it looks like you have a good concept of the design process. As enthusiastic as you seem to be for segmenting, you might consider the purchase of one of the computer design programs. They are quite easy to learn, not very expensive, can save you a ton of time, and they make it very easy to make changes during the design phase. Email if you'd like more info.

Ron Sardo
01-31-2007, 5:59 PM
Bill, it looks like you have a good concept of the design process. As enthusiastic as you seem to be for segmenting, you might consider the purchase of one of the computer design programs. They are quite easy to learn, not very expensive, can save you a ton of time, and they make it very easy to make changes during the design phase. Email if you'd like more info.
I agree.

The nice thing is you can quickly and easily make a change when need. Even in the middle of a project, DAMHIKT.

Fred Floyd
02-01-2007, 2:27 AM
I've actually done a simple segmented vessel -- they are a LOT of work. What I find that I like is that it builds your sawing skills. It's all about accuracy, tight, gap-free joints.

As Mr. Tibbetts said, the design process is everything in segmented work.

If you're interested in segmented work, take the time to read Tibbets' "The art of Segmented Wood Turning". He covers everything quite well -- from simple to advanced.

Bill Wyko
02-01-2007, 11:24 AM
You're right , I already read it cover to cover and back again.:D
Here are some pics of the steps i did last night.
In the first pic you can see the segments are cut at 15 degrees per side to add up to 360 degrees.

Bill Wyko
02-01-2007, 11:29 AM
|I learned this from Malcolms book and Ray Allens book. Malcolm for the allthread and Ray for the aluminum plate

Bill Wyko
02-01-2007, 11:37 AM
In this pic you'll see how I cut the small segments. By no means should anyone ever use their fingers to hold these pieces.:eek: Unless of course you want them on the shop floor:( I made the hold down by s-glueing a piece of cutoff to a piece of scrap.:D It is also important to use a 0 tolerance fence as well.

Bill Wyko
02-01-2007, 11:42 AM
In this pic you'll see how I glue the veneer to the side of the segment. I show this w/o glue for viewing purposes.

Mark Pruitt
02-01-2007, 12:03 PM
Bill, this is your best design yet--not that the others weren't good but this one is outstanding. I'm looking forward to your progress reports and of course seeing the finished piece!

Steve Schlumpf
02-01-2007, 12:18 PM
Bill - thanks for the great photos of your process!

I am surprised to see you using a miter saw - any problems with the small pieces moving? I saw your holddown system and it looks like it would work but I know there is a lot of torque once that blade hits the wood.

What kind of glue are you using - anything special?

Also, what kind of design software are you considering - that is - if you are considering it?

Bill Wyko
02-01-2007, 12:42 PM
Just titebond II. It sets up reasonably quick and holds like it's welded. In the pic below I wait about 15 minutes then scrape off the excess glue so it does'nt load up my tools w/ glue. I also use a jig on my disc sander to get them perfect but I did'nt take pics of that this time. If you look at the build of the other one I did it shows a pic of the jig for that. That jig is also shown in Malcolms book as well as Mr Allens book.

Tom Sherman
02-01-2007, 12:45 PM
Looks to me like you have a good grip on the process Bill looking forward to seeing the finished project.

Bill Wyko
02-01-2007, 3:05 PM
Actually I just ordered Wood turners studio. It was recomended to me by another member here. It says it will show you a color pic of your completed project before you ever start.:D

Bill Wyko
02-01-2007, 4:32 PM
In this pic you can see the multitasking going on. Gluing the veneers with the clamps, gluing the rings together and an epoxy concoction that I'll discuss later if it works.:D Then here's a pic of the veneers after drum sanding. The ones at the top of the screen still need veneers between each other. (The pic looks like the veneers aren't straight but it's just the pic.)

Bill Wyko
02-03-2007, 12:23 PM
Well I glued up my beauty ring and all was good until I realized my veneers didn't lign up:cool: Long story short......strike one:mad: I'll be trying a different pattern this weekend.:D I'll post pics the first of the week.