PDA

View Full Version : Program for dial-up?

Reed Wells
01-31-2007, 4:14 PM
Would anyone know if there is a program or service where a person could be online and still receive a phone call on that line. I have a sat. connection but when the dish is buried in snow I have to get bundled up and go shovel snow. I don't want to add another line, but the one I use for a back-up is also my business line. Any help would be appreciated, Reed

Joe Pelonio
01-31-2007, 4:28 PM
Your landline phone company may offer call waiting, if it does, many of the ISPs will allow you to put the internet on "hold" and take the call. I thought I heard that AOL could do that, among others. You could also use "call forwarding" on your land line and have it go to a cell phone.

There's also software (monthly charges) that you can use like this one:

www.buzzme.com/

Reed Wells
01-31-2007, 5:14 PM
Thanks Joe, I will Look in to that. Reed

David Wilson
01-31-2007, 5:25 PM
Reed
I few years ago we used a service called call waiting. Did what you want and it was free for about 2 years. We are wireless now so don't use it anymore.

David G Baker
01-31-2007, 6:03 PM
Reed,
If you have a DSL Internet connection, DSL uses phone lines, you can be on line and use the phone at the same time. The problem with DSL is you have near a a specific phone company area, think it is called a hub or something similar, to have DSL access. Things have changed with DSL over the past couple of years so you may be able to get it. Contact your telephone company to see if it is offered.
David B

Roger Everett
01-31-2007, 7:06 PM
Reed:
I am just a puter novice, however. When I first got my own puter ( started out using girlfriends ) I was on dial-up, and whenever a phone call came in, phone would ring and online connection went out, and the calls were always for her, this pi$$ed me off to no end ( she got a lot of calls ). A friend told me Radio shack had a thing that would allow phone to work when on line. But one day I happened to peruse the modem thing in control panel, and found it had settings to change . I think I changed it a call waiting setting, and after that when I was online and a call came in, it opened up a small information thing on the bottom bar that flashed. I click on it and it gave a caller I.D. type thing. If I wanted the call I had like 5 second to reclick it and phone rang/ and went off line. But if I didn't reclick it, phone didn't ring and I wasn't interupted online. Caller just got a busy signal. After that if it wasn't for me and I was doing something online, well you know.
You might check modem properties you might have some settings.
HTH
Roger