PDA

View Full Version : Finish

Dan Williams
01-31-2007, 4:00 PM
I am a greenhorn here, I am just getting into turning. If you don't mind me asking, What in your opinion is the best finish? What do u use for pens, bowls an a everything else. please share what works best for u.

In advance Thank you for your replies

Dan Williams

Steve Schlumpf
01-31-2007, 4:32 PM
Dan, I mostly use 2 different finishes and have had real good luck with both. Watco 'Natural' Danish Oil and Minwax Wipe-On Gloss Poly. I follow the directions pretty much but do let the items dry longer than suggested. I also give the item a buffing once completed.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-31-2007, 4:33 PM
Dan...Welcome to the Creek and the Vortex!

Finishes.....there's a long list. When I started turning last year the turners, here, that pushed me into the Vortex suggested Mylands Friction polish. There are a number of turner finishes....friction polishes that work well. Most are shellac based with some waxes added. They are applied on the lathe and frictioned using paper towels.

Dewaxed shellac....applied on or off the lathe .....frictioned or buffed out.

Lacquer...spray or brush on......frictioned or not...

waxes.........

BLO...boiled linseed oil...rubbed on....friction polished to speed up the drying time....

Depending on what I"m doing I use each of the above individually or one I have come to really like is BLO frictioned on....then dewaxed shellac....frictioned......brushing lacquer....frictioned and the Beal buffed...makes a nice finish.

Bernie Weishapl
01-31-2007, 4:43 PM
Dan I use two finishes on bowls and stuff that will be used to eat with. I use Mike Mahoney's walnut oil and walnut oil/wax combo. I also use General Finishes Seal-A-Cell and Arm-R-Seal.

For most of the rest I use either spray on lacquer, miniwax wipe on poly or miniwax spray on poly and Antique Oil Finish.