PDA

View Full Version : Domino and Finish Carpentry

Per Swenson
01-31-2007, 12:56 AM
Only a few times before have I had a early release.

(for good behavior)

This is another.

Any way, for us the bar rail joint has always been problematic.

We make our own in 12 to 16 foot length's, some times when

they sit awhile the spirits tend to move them. Getting them scarfed

together perfectly can be a nightmare.

I dunno if you guys are familiar with the lamello magnetic bolt deal,

we were seriously considering going that route.

Now we don't have to.

Longer story short, we used the domino to link the bar rails together.

I will let the pictures speak for themselves.

Per

lou sansone
01-31-2007, 4:49 AM
real nice
what did you pick up on to reference the slots ?
lou

Per Swenson
01-31-2007, 6:06 AM
Thanks Lou,

I just used the indexing pins and held it to the side of the rail.

p.

Gary Eneberg
01-31-2007, 7:35 AM
WOW that looks great. Wish I would of had the Domino whan I did the extra long railing upstairs.

Gary

David Werkheiser
01-31-2007, 9:02 AM
very nice work! I hope this is not a hijack of this thread buy I saw in your last pic. what appears to be a Festool inline sander, do you use it much for moldings? I've been thinking about the Festool or the Dynabrade air inline for both moldings and final sanding on dark stained maple.Thanks, David Werkheiser

Gary Keedwell
01-31-2007, 9:25 AM
real nice
what did you pick up on to reference the slots ?
lou

I can see referencing from a pin for side to side but what about the different heights? What kept the dowels parallel? ( level)

Gary K.

Frank Snyder
01-31-2007, 10:23 AM
Nice job, Per & Bob.

I like the "group hug" picture ;).

I was ready to pick up an Invis system for a handrailing I'm working on...I decided to hold off and get the Domino instead. Much more versatile and cost effective system IMO. I just have to wait two more months for mine :(.

Gary - I think Per just used the underside of the bar rail as his reference and adjusted the height of the fence (and size of mortise) to sneak another domino in there. The fence looks like it was wide enough to straddle the points of contact on the underside of the bar rail. I'm sure Per will tell us how he did this...

Again, really nice work!

Per Swenson
01-31-2007, 1:40 PM
Frank,

Exactly.

Upside down. Cut all the big ones first.

Then adjusted the fence, cut the little ones.

Folks, I was skeptical. Self doubt ran rampant.

Told Father Bob, If I screw this up...

You will be spending you 82 nd birthday (friday)

Home, by yourself, making new rail.

As you can see, Friday we will let him sit on the other side

of another bar.

Per

Per Swenson
01-31-2007, 2:22 PM
Sorry David,

Yep, Festool inline sander.

I do not know how we lived with out it.

Yeah I do, I let alot of stuff go.

Remember those trade phrases. Good E Nuff, Can't see it from my house?

Well, we now manufacture everything from rail to 1/4 round,

and when it comes out of the machine and it has our name on it,

the inline cleans it up nicely.

Per

Terry Fogarty
01-31-2007, 4:17 PM
As usual fantastic work Per :D I would love to see a close up of what looks like a deer or moose on the bar. And your Pops looks remarkable for his age and i hope im still enjoying my woodwork at 82:D

And a little tip for you (you might already know) but if you carefully remove the two small black plastic dovetailed caps on the top of your fence, you can then get an extra 25mm in height, so you can comfortably center a 120mm section. Just carefull and dont use to much preassure as its only using one portion of the locking cam, but i have been using it a fair bit like this and its very safe and stable

Per Swenson
01-31-2007, 5:25 PM
Jack,

Thanks for the tip.

Close up?

Sure.

Per

Jim Becker
01-31-2007, 5:44 PM
Thanks, Per...as usual, a very instructive post on a great use in your business for the tool!

Mark Singer
01-31-2007, 6:49 PM
Per,
It looks like some kinda deevice for making holes and gluing wood together:confused:

Rick Christopherson
01-31-2007, 8:30 PM
And a little tip for you (you might already know) but if you carefully remove the two small black plastic dovetailed caps on the top of your fence, you can then get an extra 25mm in height, so you can comfortably center a 120mm section. Just carefull and dont use to much preassure as its only using one portion of the locking cam, but i have been using it a fair bit like this and its very safe and stableJack, This is officially known as the Lignum Modification, so when you mention this, you really need to give credit to the bloke that came up with it and not try to take credit yourself. I know for a fact that no stinkin' football player could have come up with such a great idea. :D

Terry Fogarty
02-01-2007, 3:02 AM
Jack, This is officially known as the Lignum Modification, so when you mention this, you really need to give credit to the bloke that came up with it and not try to take credit yourself. I know for a fact that no stinkin' football player could have come up with such a great idea. :D

Jack:confused: I thought it was my idea.

Terry;)

Rick Christopherson
02-01-2007, 5:02 AM
Oh that was smooth! You busted me with my own joke! :eek::confused::rolleyes:;)

It wasn't until I was searching for all postings by this "Terry Fogarty" bloke that I recongnized the classic Lignum/Jack/Terry avatar from Ubeaut, and realized you changed midstream.

Your Aussie mates are going to be dissapointed to learn that you aren't such a great football player afterall. :p