PDA

View Full Version : Router table or Shaper

Tim Wagner
01-31-2007, 12:43 AM
If you don't have either a Router or a Shaper, what would be the way to go? Do others here find a need for both? or if you gonna spend the time to buy or build a router station, shouldn't one just get a shaper? I was at Cleveland tool and cutter the other day and they have some bits that are like 2" or more in size. are these for the shapers?

I am not getting one right away, still gotta get the TS. was just wondering?

Mike Heidrick
01-31-2007, 12:49 AM
First things first. Get a multi-base variable speed 2 1/4hp+ router setup. Use one of the fixed bases in a table you make and then use the other bases (plunge and D handle for instance) above table. I personally like the Dewalt 618B3 setup.

Once you have that, look at your usage of the setup and go from there. Router tables are awesome. Shapers are new to me so I will know more in a year or so how I use them. Cutters are generally blades with holes through them that you mount to a spindle. If the blades you saw had a shank on them they were router bits.

Big diameter router bits require you to slow down the router to about 10,000 rpm (raised panel bits for instance) vs 21,000rpm for the smaller diameter bits.

Shapers spin at 7,000 to 10,000rpm generally. They can also spin up to 5" bits.

I like the patwarner.com website for router info.

Richard G Fink Sr
01-31-2007, 7:30 AM
With all the knolege i see here have a question. Where is some good sites to buy shaper cutters. I have 8 or 10 but would like to get one to cut classic ranch caseing. And stair rail.
thanks
Richard Fink sr:)

Jeffrey Makiel
01-31-2007, 8:01 AM
For the home hobbyist, I'll take a router table over a shaper for sure. A router table is generally cheaper (especially if you build your own) and router bit profiles are nearly endless and relatively cheap compared to shaper cutters.

I see a shaper best suited for commercial use when large cutters are used for long periods of time and are best used with powerfeeds which are an additional expense. Shapers seem like a luxury in a small home shop, and cannot replace a decent router table. For instance, a router table will allow you to do operations like plunge cutting grooves and dados, make box joints, etc., when this is not so feasible with a shaper.

I would recommend that if you go the router table route, that you use a 3HP or greater router with electronic variable speed. With this size router, you can use all the many router bits available today from 1/8" roundovers to 3+" raised panel cutters. Also, manufactured router lifts are certainly nice, and manufactured router table fences are nice, but definately not necessary.

Do a search in this forum on router tables. You will see many impressive designs and many straight forward designs.

-Jeff :)

Jim Hager
01-31-2007, 8:31 AM
With all the knolege i see here have a question. Where is some good sites to buy shaper cutters. I have 8 or 10 but would like to get one to cut classic ranch caseing. And stair rail.
thanks
Richard Fink sr:)

Try Infinitytools.com. Good prices and great products. I just ordered another one last night.

As for the question about router table vs. shaper. I would hate to do without either one but if I were starting all over again I would have to get the shaper first. I now have 3 shapers and only 1 router table. So many things that can be done on a shaper, faster and of better quality that can be accomplished on a router table. That being said however the router table is cheaper to get into and the bits are definately a cheaper route than the shaper cutters. I guess it all depends on how deep your pockets are. I know that you can sink a bunch of money in a router table too but it can be done in increments. You can start with an old cheesy setup and do quite well as your woodworking skills grow you can then upgrade to better and more precise tooling for the router table. Shapers are a lot of money up front but they are much easier to produce quality work. That is in my opinion only and not to be taken to the bank for cash:D