PDA

View Full Version : Planing tips and the review of a world class plane

Mark Singer
01-30-2007, 8:33 PM
I recently completed my review of the Marcou S20A smoother...the article has a lot of useful information on wood....orientation ...glue up of edge joined boards etc. it might be worth a look...:eek:

http://www.wkfinetools.com/contrib/mSinger/marcouR/marcou1.asp

Joe Spear
01-30-2007, 8:38 PM
That's a $2000 plane.

Ryan Cathey
01-30-2007, 8:57 PM
You sound a little appalled Joe.:D

-Ryan C.

Mark Singer
01-30-2007, 9:03 PM
That's a $2000 plane.

And it planes like a $5000 plane!:rolleyes:

Jim Becker
01-30-2007, 9:08 PM
Very instructive article, Mark. Always something to learn when I listen to you "talk"...thanks!

Andrew Homan
01-30-2007, 9:21 PM
it might be worth a look...:eek:

Mark,
It was definitely "worth a look"! Very nicely written review, good photographs, and an interesting way to introduce the very reason for such a plane (grain direction ---> difficult grain).

One question that I had was about a description you had of the plane on the final page. You wrote that this is a "low angle bevel up" plane. Is this really true? On the 3rd page you mentioned that the iron was bedded at 20 degrees; even with a narrower bevel angle than the equipped blade, you probably won't bring the effective pitch down below 45 degrees. This is actually the "standard" angle for block planes (bevel-up planes). "Low angle" BU planes are bedded at 12 or 12.5 degrees. With the equipped blade beveled at 30 degrees, it sounds like it would be more accurately described as a "standard angle bevel-up plane, prepared to work as a high angle plane."

It looks like a really fun plane to use, and useful for work on difficult grain.
-Andy

Derek Cohen
01-30-2007, 10:25 PM
Mark

That was an excellent review. I really liked the introduction and the way it established the reason for and difficulties of a smoother working with the more exotic or difficult woods. The special qualities of the Marcou smoother stood out clearly against this backdrop. Well done! (And it sounds like you had fun!!)

Mark,
........One question that I had was about a description you had of the plane on the final page. You wrote that this is a "low angle bevel up" plane. Is this really true? On the 3rd page you mentioned that the iron was bedded at 20 degrees; even with a narrower bevel angle than the equipped blade, you probably won't bring the effective pitch down below 45 degrees. This is actually the "standard" angle for block planes (bevel-up planes). "Low angle" BU planes are bedded at 12 or 12.5 degrees. With the equipped blade beveled at 30 degrees, it sounds like it would be more accurately described as a "standard angle bevel-up plane, prepared to work as a high angle plane.

Andy, yes the S20 is a "standard angle". What I think is striking is that a 50 degree attack was capable of producing such fine results on the difficult, testing woods that Mark used here. Generally one thinks of a 60 degree (and greater) cutting angle in such cases. Clearly there are factors beyond cutting angle that the Marcou smoother is able to deal with. I can say that this was also my finding. When I tested the S15 (15 degree bed), I chose a 45 degree cutting angle just so it would reduce a variable when planing alongside standard angle planes. Even at this 45 degree attack, the S15 was capable of superb performance, easily as good or better than a good 60 degreed smoother.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jerry Olexa
01-30-2007, 10:43 PM
Good article, Mark...Thanks

Roy Wall
01-30-2007, 10:49 PM
Nicely done Mark........
good review and a little lesson too! (ryhming to myself :) )

I have learned a lot about grain since I began hand planing boards to a finished state. Still a long journey to go, but it keeps one really "tuned in" to the work!

John Schreiber
01-30-2007, 11:03 PM
Wow, that's a nice plane, and a Vacheron Constantin is a nice watch. So, are you sending it back after the review?

Andrew Homan
01-31-2007, 7:44 AM
Clearly there are factors beyond cutting angle that the Marcou smoother is able to deal with.

Absolutely.

Steve Wargo
01-31-2007, 8:28 AM
Very nice review, and it certainly helps to entertain the justification of such a high end plane (as if I really needed justification :D). There's an aweful lot of useful information in your article Mark. I think it's a good read for new and old. Thank you.

Ron Brese
01-31-2007, 9:50 AM
Mark, Phillip is doing something that I am sure other high end plane makers have a problem with. He is producing very high end planes for a reasonable price. Some people will read this and think "I could buy a 12" jointer for the money I would spend on that plane!" However you and I know that that 12" jointer will never create the type of surface that the Marcou plane is capable of. This all relates to more refined surfaces less sanding chores and less exposure to the really fine sanding dust that does the most harm to our health. I applaud Phillip for creating a plane that puts this type of performance in reach of the serious woodworker. I wish him much success with this endeavor.

Ron

Zahid Naqvi
01-31-2007, 11:35 AM
The first page did it for me, straight into the book marks. The smiley face/sad face analogy was great.

Michael Hammers
01-31-2007, 1:19 PM
Mark,
I hope I am not veering to far from your post.
It looks as though you have a Knight plane on page two. I have several of his planes but without the brass adjusting mechanism shown in the pic. Do you know if that is something that can be retrofitted? I was windering for my large purpleheart joiner?
GREAT article by the way, keep it up!
Cheers, Michael

Mark Singer
01-31-2007, 2:23 PM
The first page did it for me, straight into the book marks. The smiley face/sad face analogy was great.

Thank you Zahid! I have seen lots of guys ignore these basic issues and continually run into problems. Its another one of those things that is not in books very often, but if you are going to spend $100 or $5000 on a smoother, you should know. I felt it may enlighten a few folks:confused:

Mark Singer
01-31-2007, 2:35 PM
Mark,
I hope I am not veering to far from your post.
It looks as though you have a Knight plane on page two. I have several of his planes but without the brass adjusting mechanism shown in the pic. Do you know if that is something that can be retrofitted? I was windering for my large purpleheart joiner?
GREAT article by the way, keep it up!
Cheers, Michael

Mike, Steve will make his planes with a lever cap or wedge. Performance is similar and in some ways the wedge is easier to adjust IMHO...call or email Steve and see if he will modfy it.
Mark

Eddie Darby
01-31-2007, 2:40 PM
Thanks for the great post. I enjoyed it very much!:)

Dave Ray
01-31-2007, 10:12 PM
Thanks Mark, I am always learning from your posts. Sorry you didn't like the plane tho...... Just teasing, it is beautiful.

Mark Singer
01-31-2007, 11:12 PM
Thanks Mark, I am always learning from your posts. Sorry you didn't like the plane tho...... Just teasing, it is beautiful.

Just a plane ,plane....8 1/2 pound of metal....couple of wood knobs...screw...the usuall:rolleyes:

Dan Forman
02-01-2007, 12:25 AM
Very nice and informative write up.

Dan

John Miliunas
02-01-2007, 9:41 PM
Great writeup, Mark! Dang, would I love to have one of those in my little lineup of planes. It would certainly be the centerpiece! :) :cool:

Mark Singer
02-02-2007, 9:32 AM
Great writeup, Mark! Dang, would I love to have one of those in my little lineup of planes. It would certainly be the centerpiece! :) :cool:

You can....just$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ pony up:eek:

Jim Dunn
02-02-2007, 9:36 AM
Me thinks the term should be "Horsey Up" when we're talking about that kinda money:)

Nice write up on a beautiful tool.

John Miliunas
02-02-2007, 9:48 AM
You can....just$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ pony up:eek:

Yikes! Hey, gimme' a break. I'm already working two jobs!!! :eek: Shore would be nice, though! :) :cool:

Mark Singer
02-02-2007, 11:12 AM
John,
It won't be in my stable either.....it goes back today:( I'm gonna miss the massive little guy...:mad:

Wiktor Kuc
02-03-2007, 12:52 PM
Mark,

Thanks much for your review and very important instruction on wood and planing.

This was very interesting and in many ways (;-)) educational experience. Hope to see more posts like this from you and other members.

Thanks again!

Mark Singer
02-03-2007, 7:18 PM
Wiktor,
Thanks to you and to Philip Marcou as well for the opportunity to review such a fine plane.....she is gone but not forgoten:( I am looking forward to other reviews and educational stuff as well. Sometimes poor results are user error or lack of experience....I was hoping with the review to enable every woodworker with a smoother to be able to get the most out of it....even if they don't purchase the wonderful S20A Marcou... any old #4 Stanley or a newer LN could produce a better surface if you understand the principles . Many of you are experienced and probably yawned :p through the whole thing....:rolleyes: sorry! You got to say I am trying at least.