PDA

View Full Version : Acclimating stock for project

Richard Ferment
01-30-2007, 8:10 PM
Good evening, hope everyone is well.
I have a question. This weekend I am going to pick up 275bf of QSWO rough cut kiln dried. I am planing to bring it all into the shop to acclimate it. Would it be better to sticker it or stack it flat. The first part of the project will take about 50bf of oak and about 20bf of soft maple. I would like to start in three weeks The second part using the remainder of the oak and45bf of soft maple to follow about 5 to 6 weeks later. The soft maple has been in the shop for about 2 months. Thanks in advance for your help.:)

William Parks
01-30-2007, 8:15 PM
My preference would be to sticker it so tops bottoms and sides of the wood could acclimate.

lou sansone
01-30-2007, 8:41 PM
I would also sticker it to all for air circulation and moisture equalization

Lou

Jim Becker
01-30-2007, 8:41 PM
I sticker in the shop, but use thin 1/4" or 1/2" thick stickers from scraps to allow air flow through the pile. This will assist in your acclimation. It's not "required" but my preferred method. The small loss of storage capacity isn't that bad, IMHO.

Roger Everett
01-31-2007, 6:00 AM
Richard:
I would sticker it and also put a little weight on top of the stack ( don't sticker it on floor ). Also what I do, is plan ahead and do is: At least 1 week before needing is to run what I'll need over the jointer and do a hit and skip thru the planner, resticker this, then when I'm ready, take it down to final thickness. This helps acclimate it better and also try to take material off both sides evenly, to deal with any bit of case hardening.

Roger